A Couple of Mod Pre-Release Questions

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
BrokenCrust

A Couple of Mod Pre-Release Questions

Post by BrokenCrust »

Hello I've been developing my first phpBB3 mod and before I release it I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it better to use an install.php (either via UMIL or just php) to install the UCP module and make a new UCP tab or is it preferred to offer instructions to to this manually. The second is more flexible since administrators can add the module to an existing UCP tab instead of having a new tab. I prefer the second approach because it means that there is no need to have an installer (as automod can do everything that is needed) and the administrator has the flexibility. However it may be that many administrators prefer just to have everything done for them. This also means the possibility to have an uninstaller to completely remove mod.

2. I notice that more that one other developer has developed quite similar mod, but stopped their development before being fully accepted (and it seems none are currently working). Is it OK to have another similar mod in development? I didn't use any of their code but really it isn't so different because the mod is not complex. I hope to get this mod accepted as I will use it myself and it is working with the latest version.

Sorry if these questions are already asked.

Thanks for your time.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: A Couple of Mod Pre-Release Questions

Post by tbackoff »

1. If I remember correctly, UMIL is preferred, but not required (can a MOD Team Member clarify if I'm wrong?). Personally, I've always thought that for those authors that wish to do so, offer both options. This way, the administrator of that board can decide if they want to do it manually or automatically (some of us actually like getting dirty :D ).

2. No problem here. There are even MODs that have been validated that do the same thing (portals come to mind). Also, if you search through the development forum, you will see 2 knowledge base MODs in development.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
BrokenCrust

Post by BrokenCrust »

Thanks, that confirms the way things looked to me.
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

t_backoff wrote:1. If I remember correctly, UMIL is preferred, but not required (can a MOD Team Member clarify if I'm wrong?).
Correct.
Personally, I've always thought that for those authors that wish to do so, offer both options.
This is not preferred as it may confuse the end user. One or the other.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

t_backoff wrote:Personally, I've always thought that for those authors that wish to do so, offer both options. This way, the administrator of that board can decide if they want to do it manually or automatically (some of us actually like getting dirty :D ).
Also, using AutoMOD would run the SQL and then tell you to run the install.php file which would fail so it would get your MOD denied. ;)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
BrokenCrust

Post by BrokenCrust »

UMIL it is then. I guess that's the safest way. More knowledgeable administrators will be able to sort out the moving of UCP modules afterwards themselves and this way I can offer an uninstaller script too.

UMIL seems a bit over-the-top for my small mod. I wish automod could take care of modules and permissions - both pretty common mod tasks now I would guess.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”