phpBB Delete user script for dummies.

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
zardiw

phpBB Delete user script for dummies.

Post by zardiw »

Well, there USED to be a script here with clear instructions.........but peeps with too much time on their hands crapped all over it..........So now it's hosted on one of my sites.....Google the title to find it.....or go to Lighthouse57.com .....z
Last edited by zardiw on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faster horses, yw, ow, mm..................
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: phpBB Delete user script for dummies.

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Is there a problem with using the ACP to do this?
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
zardiw

Post by zardiw »

Why do you ask?

Some people are more advanced in using phpBB.

Time is money..............z
zardiw

Post by zardiw »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Is there a problem with using the ACP to do this?
And what does that question have to do with this topic?

Quoting you btw..........lol...........z
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Rich is wondering why you need a special script to delete users, rather than using the ones in the ACP.

Note that your script has no security. All someone would have to do is create a little form with a FrmUser input and delete any of your users. They would not even have to login to your board.
zardiw

Post by zardiw »

So provide some code for security......

First they'd have to guess the login ($auth->acl($user->data);)

And who in their right mind would go to all that trouble......lololol.......

phpBB has been around for ages. So has that delete_user function.......so peeps could have done this before right?

Would make a lot more sense to ADD users, not delete them.....so they could SPAM YOUR BOARD.....

And as far as using the ACP.........well, if you're doing advanced programming.......then scripts make life a lot easier..........and again.......what does that have to do with this topic??????????????

So tired of all this trolling........Have at it boys and girls......and for those that find the script useful...You're WELCOME!.....and you might wanna post a thank you or something....offset the trollers......z
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

zardiw wrote:And first they'd have to guess the freaking users they wanna delete..........

And also guess the login
There is no need for the hacker to guess what users to delete. They would simply go to your board and note the names of the moderators and administrators and as I said, your script is not requiring a login.

As Rich and I have already pointed out, the Manage Users and Prune Users in the ACP work fine. There is no need to jury-rig a script to do it. Posting such a script here, with such security holes, is not what this forum is for.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

zardiw wrote:

It has everything to do with this topic especially given the fact that your code is very insecure and anyone with the correct auths on a forum can delete a user securely within the ACP.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
zardiw

Post by zardiw »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
zardiw wrote:

It has everything to do with this topic especially given the fact that your code is very insecure and anyone with the correct auths on a forum can delete a user securely within the ACP.

So do something useful and provide some code for security......

And fwiw........

1. Guess what website/forum it's on
2. Guess the path
3. Get past my .htaccess authorization (OH...you ASSumed the script wasn't in a password protected folder..I see....lol)
3. Write a script to delete my users
4. I'm waiting................

You people are unbelievable.........I spent hours getting this delete script to work from POOR info on this very forum. And all you can do is crap all over it............z

z
Last edited by zardiw on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

There is no need to provide anything as anyone who has the correct auths can delete a user from the ACP and I have been doing something useful and all the code I provide is secure, unlike yours.

Concerning the supposed poor info on this forum, I don't suppose you spent anytime in the phpBB wiki but whatever I can see I am shoveling stuff against the tide with you. Enjoy your life................z
zardiw

Post by zardiw »

Brf wrote:Rich is wondering why you need a special script to delete users, rather than using the ones in the ACP.
Why should I satisfy his irrelevant curiosity?

Obviously I have a need for it, or I wouldn't have written it.

And yes. I'm well aware that I can jump through about 5 hoops to get to the ACP and first find and then delete users there........but I really don't have time to do stuff I can do with a program

z
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

zardiw wrote: And fwiw........

2. Guess the path
3. Get past my .htaccess authorization (OH...you ASSumed the script wasn't in a password protected folder..I see....lol)
The point is that according to this topic's title, you are targetting dummies. If those dummies had followed your instructions, they would have had to have the this script in the same folder as their board, which shoots #1 and #2. They also would not have had an .htaccess file, since you did not suggest one, which shoots #3. This script is designed to delete your users, which shoots the second #3.
Saldash
Name: Stuart Jackson

Post by Saldash »

Brf wrote:
zardiw wrote: And fwiw........

2. Guess the path
The point is that according to this topic's title, you are targetting dummies. If those dummies had followed your instructions, they would have had to have the this script in the same folder as their board, which shoots #1 and #2. They also would not have had an .htaccess file, since you did not suggest one, which shoots #3. This script is designed to delete your users, which shoots the second #3.
..and #4 (or #5 o.O?) Waiting for what, someone to correct your unsafe scripting again?

Wow.. what an attitude problem, being verbally abusive is no way to go here Zardiw. :?

By persisting instead of just accepting the advice freely given to you by people who are alot more experienced, all you succeeded in doing was emabarrasing yourself.

I appreciate you have provided a quick down and dirty script that gets the job done, fab.
But the "dummies" (congrats for alienating your target audience btw) are sooner going to want a
safe, secure and supported method of removing users from their database, not install a script
that could be potentially very harmful to their board.
Any user picking up the script can see how it works, and figure a way to abuse it.

And as for using .htpasswd, I'm sure someone of your level didn't leave it the document root of your server, as that makes it potentially readable to the world, so much for secure folder, huh. :o
World Recoded UK - DreamHost Site of the Month winner February 2011!

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”