Ideas Support topic

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: [Discuss] Introducing phpBB Ideas!

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Change this in the ideas/includes/ideas.php file

'poster_id' => IDEAS_POSTER_ID,

to this

'poster_id' => $user->data['user_id'],
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

That'll give you a permissions error. The reason that the user doesn't post the topic is so they cannot modify their first post (it contains data besides the idea), but they can still edit their replies to ideas. It also means they don't need permissions to create new topics in the ideas forum.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

callumacrae wrote:That'll give you a permissions error. The reason that the user doesn't post the topic is so they cannot modify their first post (it contains data besides the idea), but they can still edit their replies to ideas. It also means they don't need permissions to create new topics in the ideas forum.
In the next version, is there any chance that you will move that data out of the hidden forum and put it in it own table? I mean the idea system is great, but how it was done I felt that it could be better.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

callumacrae wrote:That'll give you a permissions error. The reason that the user doesn't post the topic is so they cannot modify their first post (it contains data besides the idea), but they can still edit their replies to ideas. It also means they don't need permissions to create new topics in the ideas forum.
How hard would it be to do something like:

User put idea in

Idea get approved

User a then go back and view his idea

At this point the script can check to see if the first post made, if so then only allow mods and admin to edit it, if it a reply then allow editing that post.

On a plain phpBB forum, mods and admin can lock editing anyone's posts, could that be done by the posting script?

I don't know if that would work but it something to think about.
Kamahl19 wrote:I prefer using topics/posts mechanism as much as possible. It is not goot to reinvent the wheel, create new posting mechanism and new tables.. I have created really huge websites, blogs and even newspapers based on phpBB topics mechanism. So why create new table.
While what you said is true, but what about all those permission issues that cropped up?

Also doesn't User Blog Mod use the posting mechanism from phpbb? Or a better example, the report feature.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Ideally the Ideas module wouldn't go by the hidden forum's permissions at all. It would have its own separate set of permissions just like Titania does. This is planned for a future release/update. Once this is done then there really shouldn't be any reason why the idea proposer couldn't be the one listed as the creator. Simply prevent the first post from being edited in that case.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

DavidIQ wrote:Ideally the Ideas module wouldn't go by the hidden forum's permissions at all. It would have its own separate set of permissions just like Titania does. This is planned for a future release/update. Once this is done then there really shouldn't be any reason why the idea proposer couldn't be the one listed as the creator. Simply prevent the first post from being edited in that case.

So would that mean that there is no more hidden forum for it? Or not quite?
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

*Daniel wrote:So would that mean that there is no more hidden forum for it? Or not quite?
The forum would still be there but it can remain completely hidden/invisible. With separate permissions for Ideas they could be named more appropriately instead of going by "Can view forum", etc. Using already existing tables doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, which is what Kamahl19 said. What was done in Titania is really almost a mirror duplication of the posts table and for this it seems like it would end up being the same so why not just use what is already there. Even the UMIL installer could take care of creating the forum.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
erobeson

Post by erobeson »

I've installed this successfully within a sub directory (/forums/ideas), but I am losing login session every time I go into ideas. Any ideas why or suggestions on how to maintain the login session when navigating between forums and ideas?

Thanks
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

erobeson wrote:I've installed this successfully within a sub directory (/forums/ideas), but I am losing login session every time I go into ideas. Any ideas why or suggestions on how to maintain the login session when navigating between forums and ideas?

Thanks
Fix your cookie settings! If you are unable to, just make sure that the link to ideas uses append_sid.
erobeson

Post by erobeson »

Ah yes. I changed the FQDN of my board at the same time I installed Ideas. The old cookie needed to be replaced. Duh. Thanks!
erobeson

Post by erobeson »

Users are unable to post replies to ideas because the buttons aren't showing up on the view topic page. My educated guess after reviewing the code is that the hidden ideas forum permissions are set so that users other than anonymous are not allowed to post. Can't check that however, because the ideas forum is not showing up in ACP.

My guess is that it's related to this line in ideas.php

Code: Select all

'S_DISPLAY_REPLY_INFO'  => ($topic_data['forum_type'] == FORUM_POST && ($auth->acl_get('f_reply', $forum_id) || $user->data['user_id'] == ANONYMOUS)) ? true : false,
Any suggestions on how to enable logged-in users to post replies to ideas?

thanks
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

erobeson wrote:Users are unable to post replies to ideas because the buttons aren't showing up on the view topic page. My educated guess after reviewing the code is that the hidden ideas forum permissions are set so that users other than anonymous are not allowed to post. Can't check that however, because the ideas forum is not showing up in ACP.

'S_DISPLAY_REPLY_INFO'  => ($topic_data['forum_type'] == FORUM_POST && ($auth->acl_get('f_reply', $forum_id) || $user->data['user_id'] == ANONYMOUS)) ? true : false,

thanks
Users should already be able to reply to ideas, whether it's in the idea center or the idea topic....
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

erobeson wrote:Users are unable to post replies to ideas because the buttons aren't showing up on the view topic page. My educated guess after reviewing the code is that the hidden ideas forum permissions are set so that users other than anonymous are not allowed to post. Can't check that however, because the ideas forum is not showing up in ACP.

thanks
Give them permissions to reply to the topics in the forum. It doesn't hurt to let them, which is why I didn't add another permission.
Jessica
Former Team Member

Re: Ideas Support topic

Post by Jessica »

EDIT: Ignore. Solved
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Jessica
Former Team Member

Re: Ideas Support topic

Post by Jessica »

A real issue this time...

All of the sudden I can't change my votes. I used to be able to. Tried clicking Vote Down but it didn't change even though it changed to "Voted"...
http://chenschool.elementfx.com/phpBB3/ ... a.php?id=4 (Test/test123)
Also the mouse doesn't change to the hand when you hover over the buttons that's after "Rating". The hand generally indicate it's a button/link.

EDIT: Okay I have NO idea what happened, now it's working again all of the sudden. Ignore this post. Again. So sorry. -_-

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”