Using phpBB template engine

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
RaythXC

Using phpBB template engine

Post by RaythXC » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:10 pm

I started a new project today for a website that i'm helping to develop. As a group we want to use a template engine and I've only every used the one from phpBB 3.0. After doing a search I found a topic here in which someone took the template engine and got it working.

Does anyone know if this is still possible with the engine from 3.0.12:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1557455

And is there any requirements/copyright issues I should be aware of if I do this?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Using phpBB template engine

Post by Oyabun1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:13 pm

phpBB code is under the GPL v2 license, /docs/COPYING, so if you use phpBB code you would need to comply with that.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

RaythXC

Post by RaythXC » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:13 pm

so if I understand the license correctly, I can use any part of the phpbb code (in this case the template engine), modify it to match my needs so i don't have any un-needed code, and use it providing I can do the following:

1. Share the original and/or modified source, along with the license it is licensed under
2. State that the code is from phpbb and that it is under the GNU General Public License v2

Number 1, is simple as I have a copy of the license and the class itself is in a seperate file.
Number 2, I believe I comply to by putting the following at the bottom of each and every page:
Template system Copyright © phpBB Group released under the GNU General Public License v2
Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above as I want to do things properly. I'm not so good at legal stuff.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:49 pm

I believe that you simply have to put the second part in the code and not necessary to have it show on the actual pages. I could be wrong about that but I don't think so.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

martti

Post by martti » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Maybe better move to Twig? As of 3.1 phpBB uses third party Twig template engine. For 3.1 the team created a wrapper to continue to use the phpBB templating style. But I think from 3.2 the style of Twig (which is more common in template engines) is going to be used. Twig has also more build in possibilities than the original phpBB template engine.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”