[Tutorial] How to install a MODX modification

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
mrmax79

Re: [Tutorial] How to install a MODX modification

Post by mrmax79 »

Hmmm quess modx is dead? no support?
mrmax79 wrote:I have had ModX installed for a couple of months, but frankly I am confused.
First which mods are compatible with MODX? I have installed several mods manually no problem, but could I have saved steps by using ModX?

How do I identify which mod is compatible with ModX?

And then how do I use ModX to install that mod?
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

This topic is not supposed to be a topic for questions about MODX. You should use the MOD writers discussion for that: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=71

To answer your question. MODX is not a program. It is a file format. MODs that are in this format (more or less any MOD) can be installed manually or using AutoMOD. If it works in AutoMOD, it should be fine.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
mvnvltn

Post by mvnvltn »

I am having trouble figuring out which files to edit when adding a MOD. I am hosted with Lunar Pages. I am new to "Modding" and need some help. If anyone can walk me through an easy one like chat it would be appreciated.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

mvnvltn wrote:I am having trouble figuring out which files to edit when adding a MOD. I am hosted with Lunar Pages. I am new to "Modding" and need some help. If anyone can walk me through an easy one like chat it would be appreciated.
Where exactly are you having trouble? You cannot find the files?
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
frenzy coke

Post by frenzy coke »

hi everyone, i just did what u said here. edit, n also upload all the files via FTP. but once i did it, on my index page. it said

' Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board. If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible'

so am i need to delete it. but i havent install it yet. soo??

thx everyone
27th_Acer_CO

Post by 27th_Acer_CO »

I wish someone would make a video tutorial on how to install a Mod from start to finish.
04wayne

Post by 04wayne »

I second that! A video would be so helpful! I've tried installing a Mod but it doesn't work. I edited the files via my File Manager (CPanel) and then saved them. I followed the rest of the instructions, and still, nothing :(
DoRyN

Post by DoRyN »

04wayne wrote:I second that! A video would be so helpful! I've tried installing a Mod but it doesn't work. I edited the files via my File Manager (CPanel) and then saved them. I followed the rest of the instructions, and still, nothing :(

Download the MOD archive on your PC. Read the instructions. If the instructions provide for modification of the phpBB files, download it on you own PC, edit them and then they climb back on the server (after you've made a backup of them).
GoBieN

Post by GoBieN »

Never use a File Manager !

They will most likely create problems with the UTF encoding, or by turning & into & signs and so on.
I suggest a good text editor and FTP client.
I use Notepad++ and Filezilla.
w4r3zh4ck™

Post by w4r3zh4ck™ »

i found another good tutorial
its in HD
enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZSWn0C ... age&fmt=22
cla1067

Post by cla1067 »

bump
Andrewkin

Post by Andrewkin »

This isn't really helping me, I still cant figure out how to copy the files to where they need to go.
cla1067

Post by cla1067 »

*download automod and upload it to your site*

just put them in (your sites forum root)/store/mods/

okay in the mod it has root folder, modx files, contrib (sometimes). just upload the folder that all of those files and folders are in to (your sites forum root)/store/mods/

So for example my forums are hosted at (site)/community and i want to install application form 1.0.1 using automod I would then upload the folder application_form_1.0.1 w/ all the folders and files to /community/store/mods/

After I did that I would then go to the automod tab in admin control panel, locate the mod i want to install, and then click install.

You can upload the folder using a FTP manager like filezilla
skycat

Post by skycat »

27th_Acer_CO wrote:I wish someone would make a video tutorial on how to install a Mod from start to finish.
i think so. video tutorial should be made. it would help most people. it's not very easy to install a mod for someone who's new to phpbb.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

It's not so bad if you start off with the smaller mods first. stay away from AutoMOD cuz then you will really never figure it out on your own. :)

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”