MODX Security Disclaimer Question

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
primehalo
Former Team Member

MODX Security Disclaimer Question

Post by primehalo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 pm

For security purposes, please check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the latest version of this MOD. Downloading this MOD from other sites could cause malicious code to enter into your phpBB Forum. As such, phpBB will not offer support for MODs not offered in our MODs database, located at: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
The standard MODX Security Disclaimer states "phpBB will not offer support for MODs not offered in our MODs database", which implies that phpBB will offer support for MODs that are in the database.

But then the MOD DB front page says "the phpBB Modifications Team does not officially support any of the MODs that you find in our MODDB", which seems like a mixed message. So shouldn't the MODX disclaimer say something to the effect that the phpBB team is not obligated to offer support for any MODs, whether they are in the DB or not.
Ken F. Innes IV
My Extensions | My MODs | My Topics | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!

Schumi

Re: MODX Security Disclaimer Question

Post by Schumi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:55 pm

I'd post it to the website's bug tracker, you'll probably get more attention there ;).

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Those messages are not contradictory.

First, one message contains "officially" and the other doesnt.
Also, one is refering to phpbb.com as a whole, while the other is refering to the "Modifications Team"

Schumi

Post by Schumi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:06 pm

That's what it means, yes. But I could imagine that it gets clearer when rephrasing it like this:
"phpBB will not allow (instead of "offer") support for MODs not offered in our MODs database"
That makes it more obvious that support is not "offered" by the phpBB teams directly.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Well... I think the second one is meant to clear up misconceptions of what support actually is.

The second is saying that the Mod Team is not the one that supports other author's mods. You can find support here for others' mods, but the Mod Team is not intended to be that support.

primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:32 pm

Brf wrote:Those messages are not contradictory.

First, one message contains "officially" and the other doesnt.
Also, one is refering to phpbb.com as a whole, while the other is refering to the "Modifications Team"
No, technically they are not contradictory. But non-technically, just in general, they send a mixed message.
Schumi wrote:That's what it means, yes. But I could imagine that it gets clearer when rephrasing it like this:
"phpBB will not allow (instead of "offer") support for MODs not offered in our MODs database"
That makes it more obvious that support is not "offered" by the phpBB teams directly.
But that's not an accurate statement either, because phpBB does allow support for MODs not offered in the DB. In the MODs in Development forum, MOD authors post and offer support for MODs prior to putting them in the DB.
Brf wrote:Well... I think the second one is meant to clear up misconceptions of what support actually is.

The second is saying that the Mod Team is not the one that supports other author's mods. You can find support here for others' mods, but the Mod Team is not intended to be that support.
Possibly, but I kind of doubt it. The disclaimer on the actual MOD instructions could easily be written so that there is no confusion or misconception.
Ken F. Innes IV

primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:05 pm

The latest version of a MOD may not be in the MOD DB, so shouldn't this part:
For security purposes, please check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the latest version of this MOD.
Be changed to something like this:
For security purposes, please check: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/ for the latest version of this MOD that has been approved by the phpBB team.
Ken F. Innes IV

mcdanielnc89

Post by mcdanielnc89 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:17 pm

I've argued this with them for a while now.. They stilljust say they don't offer support but it says tehy do, LOL.. Needs fixed IMO..

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”