Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
..::Frans::..

Re: Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Post by ..::Frans::.. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:07 am

Well david,

To start with your last remark, i am a professional php programmer and where i come from using the quotation mark is absolutely NOT done. A choice, a guideline, whatever but it is simply not done. NEVER. Now we can argue about this but we can also get together in the middle where the coding guidelines state that my choice of using the [backslash]single quote character is normal and good practice.

Next, the mod was indeed turned down because of standard 3.05 functionality (popup window with smilies that aren't inserted into the textarea) I told you that was a bug in 3.05 (http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/46025) added to the bug tracker (confirmed by me on the 7th, 4 days before the 11th when the mod was turned down), and yes you informed me about that (not even you, actually another validator did so that was quite nice actually, he at least made the trouble of answering a question) but only after me pointing the bug out to you...

You never answered any of the questions (i didn't understand a portion of the feedback, turns out the Jr. Validator is polish - which is no problem at all !!! - and asked for an explanation. NO REPLY, i copy-pasted the entire part on another board, asked a friend to translate it and he (american) couldn't make that much of it also, again, no problem but at least REPLY, ANSWER if a question about these things have been asked. I've been here on .com for quite some time now ( exactly 5 years today, what a coincidence :P ), i've had this same discussion multiple times (see for example http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1091335 which started in 2008) and it always boils down to 1 thing and 1 thing only.

If you read my earlier reply, you can read that i haven't got a problem with not validating my mod. It is the complete lack of communication on your part that gives the frustration. Again, you can appoint junior validators, create a MPV and, well, loads of things more but most of these things aren't necessary when you just communicate. Now, as said before, i understand we all have our private lives, we have a life outside the net and outside phpbb but you didn't reply to my questions for 9 days now.....didn't let me know what to do next, that while you did reply to my posting in here within 8 hours (and yes, i understand we are both on opposite parts of our globe)........

Pretty much against my own judgement i uploaded a version of the mod with the changes you requested but hey, no reply. I have to hear in your previous posting that indeed the mod was turned down because of a bug in 3.05, not because anything was wrong with my mod, and again, 9 days after validation, still NO reply.....

Now i ask you seriously, is it too much to ask for an answer to some very simple questions asked by someone who finally wants to get rid of an old (very old) and not working mod in your own MODDB which gives loads and loads of your own users that install the old version big problems ? Is it too much to ask for normal communication and is it too much to ask for better feedback on the validation proces.....especially when the validation was wrong, not the mod validated? I hope the answers to all these questions is a serious no.......(and that you start doing something about it!)
...pong

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Didn't realize that was not clear. We'll make a better effort to respond to such queries much faster and in a clearer fashion. This is why we ask for feedback :) After the last reply from tumba25 I was just expecting you to resubmit really... :?

And even though there was mention of not using escaping of the apostrophes in the language file, we won't deny a MOD for that. That's simply what's in the coding guidelines even though it does give various options. It's just to try and keep consistent with the rest of the core language files. Just wanted to make that clearer. We appreciate your feedback. :)
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

..::Frans::..

Post by ..::Frans::.. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:53 pm

DavidIQ wrote:After the last reply from tumba25 I was just expecting you to resubmit really... :?
So, just to be clear for all future validations (and other mod authors): if a mod is not validated because of mistakes the validator makes, that same validator does nothing and waits for the mod author to re-submit the same mod without communicating that or even without taking the already turned down mod and validate it again ????
...pong

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Your 2 questions as stated previously, were replied to in that very discussion so I'm not sure what exactly the issue is anymore. As it stands, your questions, although not the answers you were looking for, were answered. If there is an issue with how one of us handled the validation of your MOD please contact me or evil<3 for further discussion.

Paulo França Lacerda

Post by Paulo França Lacerda » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Highway of Life wrote:How much experience do you have using the MOD Database?
A litle.
Highway of Life wrote:Do you like the MOD Database?
No.
Highway of Life wrote:What do you like about the MOD Database?
Nothing.
Highway of Life wrote:What do you not like about the MOD Database?
Hard to find what I look for.
Highway of Life wrote:Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics?
Download is easy after you find what you want.
Highway of Life wrote:Is the MOD Database easy to submit and manage your MODs in?
Didn't submit one yet.
Highway of Life wrote:Do you like the MOD Database Validation process and see it as valuable?
Yes, although the validator keeps throwing false alarms, such as "file X is text but its extension says it's binary."
Highway of Life wrote:What do you like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
It's almost always right and helps us find the problem.
Highway of Life wrote:What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database?
The size of the font (letters) is too small and I am miope (seriously).
Highway of Life wrote:Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source?

From the MOD Development forum.

Highway of Life wrote:How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use?
Make it really searchable for phpBB version.
Highway of Life wrote:How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database?
Including details about some errors. For instance, my XML for PTBR install was using language="pt_br" and the validator conplained but didn't tell me which standar to use. So I tried with language="pt-br" (with hyphen) and it passed. I had to guess.
Highway of Life wrote:If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be?
Make it accept file local uploads instead of requiring us to upload the zip to a remote server, fix the problems and redo the upload to the server and so on. This is very time-consuming (and bandwidth too).
Highway of Life wrote:If you could change one thing in the MOD Database, what would it be?
Make easier to find MODs by phpBB version.
Highway of Life wrote:If the MOD Validation were performed faster, would it encourage you to submit more MODs to the phpBB.com MOD Database?
The online validator is fast enough. The oficial (human) validation I don't know yet.
Highway of Life wrote:What do you think keeps MOD Authors from submitting MODs to the MOD Database?
Hall of Fame! :D

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:18 pm

Paulo França Lacerda wrote:Yes, although the validator keeps throwing false alarms, such as "file X is text but its extension says it's binary."
Could you perhaps give more information on this?
Paulo França Lacerda wrote:Make it really searchable for phpBB version.
Hmm checking this. And if it's true it's something we need to fix.
Paulo França Lacerda wrote:Including details about some errors. For instance, my XML for PTBR install was using language="pt_br" and the validator conplained but didn't tell me which standar to use. So I tried with language="pt-br" (with hyphen) and it passed. I had to guess.
If you're not sure how to solve one of the mentioned problems don't hesitate to PM the validator or post on the discussion page of your MOD.
Paulo França Lacerda wrote:Make it accept file local uploads instead of requiring us to upload the zip to a remote server, fix the problems and redo the upload to the server and so on. This is very time-consuming (and bandwidth too).
Can you elaborate? We need access to the files, and we need to make sure we all have the same file, so it shouldn't change.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:03 pm

eviL<3 wrote:
Paulo França Lacerda wrote:Make it accept file local uploads instead of requiring us to upload the zip to a remote server, fix the problems and redo the upload to the server and so on. This is very time-consuming (and bandwidth too).
Can you elaborate? We need access to the files, and we need to make sure we all have the same file, so it shouldn't change.
He's talking about running MPV which requires the user to upload to a server first. This might be something to look at for a future version of MPV.

Paulo França Lacerda

Post by Paulo França Lacerda » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:44 am

eviL<3 wrote:
Paulo França Lacerda wrote:Yes, although the validator keeps throwing false alarms, such as "file X is text but its extension says it's binary."
Could you perhaps give more information on this?
I was including a XSD file (which was not necessary), and it' was generating the error I mentioned. My fault.

Paulo França Lacerda

Post by Paulo França Lacerda » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:47 am

DavidIQ wrote:
eviL<3 wrote:
He's talking about running MPV which requires the user to upload to a server first. This might be something to look at for a future version of MPV.
Yes, that's what I meant. After every single error detected, I need to fix, repack the zip and upload it again. After the tenth time, it becomes too tiresome. :D

I would be very nice to be able to submit the zip directly from my HD.

igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:39 am

Ah yes, well you're totally free to run MPV locally. The source is available: http://code.phpbb.com/repositories/browse/modxtools/mpv
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

Paulo França Lacerda

Post by Paulo França Lacerda » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:38 pm

eviL<3 wrote:Ah yes, well you're totally free to run MPV locally. The source is available: http://code.phpbb.com/repositories/browse/modxtools/mpv
I've already tried it out, but had no success when running.
I have downloaded all files in that place (including subfolders) but mpv.php only lists things; it's not the same as the online version.

How to correctly download it?

igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:55 pm

Can you create a new topic in MOD authors discussion? Thanks.

michaelo
Name: Michael O'Toole

Post by michaelo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:16 pm

MOD Writers Discussion! http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=71
Is this the official forum for discussion relating to MPV?
Contributions: Mods & Styles Extensions
(site is down): Kiss Portal Engine

igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:46 pm

michaelo wrote:MOD Writers Discussion! http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=71
Is this the official forum for discussion relating to MPV?
Yes, since we have no forum for MPV you can just post in MOD writers'.

ttf

Post by ttf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Hello
There are so many mods around that as a beginner I was looking for most recommended or those considered best coded... but could not find anything similar. If such list exists kindly bear my ignorance.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”