Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 pm

I don't think there is such a list, and IMHO a list like that would be useless. You shouldn't be installing MODs just to install MODs as you'll get difficulties later down the road. You install a MOD if it becomes obvious that your community is lacking a certain feature, if you find out that your community needs a new feature have a look in the MODDB to see whether there is such a MOD or post a request for such a MOD.
As for the MODs you want to install, try to use as much validated MODs as possible (those in the MODDB), these are tested by the MOD team for coding quality and security problems.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

comkidwizzer3

Post by comkidwizzer3 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:26 am

How much experience do you have using the MOD Database? Not too much, but I know nearly every nook and cranny of the MOD Database.
Do you like the MOD Database? Yes
What do you like about the MOD Database? I really like the ability to submit and check on your MODs.
What do you not like about the MOD Database? I don't like the waiting time from MOD Validation.
Is the MOD Database easy to browse, download MODs from and find the support topics? Yes, I think it is.
Is the MOD Database easy to submit and manage your MODs in? Yes, I also think it is.
Do you like the MOD Database Validation process and see it as valuable? Yes, I do see it as valuable, but I think the wait sometimes may be too long.
What do you like about the Validation process for the MOD Database? The ideas given to you so that you may improve your MOD.
What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database? The time you have to wait to get the MOD validated.
Do you prefer downloading MODs from the MOD Database, from the MOD Development forum or from an alternate (other sites) source? I would normally download MODs from the MOD Database.
How do you think the MOD Team could improve the MOD Database to be better and easier to use? Maybe move the download button as the first time I used the MOD Database I couldn't find the download button, also more ways to search it.
How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database? Maybe getting more staff on the Job so that they could do it faster.
If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be? The amount of staff working on the Validation process.
If you could change one thing in the MOD Database, what would it be? The placement of the download button.
If the MOD Validation were performed faster, would it encourage you to submit more MODs to the phpBB.com MOD Database? Yes, it would, because then I may know what to improve on the next release if it gets denied.
What do you think keeps MOD Authors from submitting MODs to the MOD Database? I think it is the validity of the MOD Database, more people trust it because the creators of phpBB are checking the MOD.
~My MODs~
Login After Register - v1.0.0 | Custom Ranks MOD - RC

~!Hasher!~

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:47 am

comkidwizzer3 wrote:What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database? The time you have to wait to get the MOD validated.
I'm curious to know what you think is a fair amount of time to take for your MOD to get validated.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:29 am

comkidwizzer3 wrote:What do you not like about the MOD Database? I don't like the waiting time from MOD Validation.

Do you like the MOD Database Validation process and see it as valuable? Yes, I do see it as valuable, but I think the wait sometimes may be too long.

What do you not like about the Validation process for the MOD Database? The time you have to wait to get the MOD validated.

How do you think the MOD Team could improve the Validation process to the MOD Database? Maybe getting more staff on the Job so that they could do it faster.

If you could change one thing in the MOD Validation process, what would it be? The amount of staff working on the Validation process.
OK, I am also curious what you think a reasonable amount of time is. The most I ever had to wait was 4 weeks, and that was once. Not counting that one, I don't think I ever waited more than 2 weeks. Keep in mind that everyone here (MOD Team and Jr Validators, as well as the other teams) are volunteers. They have lives outside of .com just like you and I.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:03 pm

A_O_C wrote:OK, I am also curious what you think a reasonable amount of time is. The most I ever had to wait was 4 weeks, and that was once. Not counting that one, I don't think I ever waited more than 2 weeks.
I can't remember a MOD of mine that has been validated within 2 week (besides instas ;)). Usually my MODs are at least 4 weeks in the queue. Though IMHO a decent validation by the team is more important than having the goal to validate every MOD within 1 or 2 weeks. Sure it gets annoying at a certain point, though that doesn't weighs up against the value of the validation process.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

comkidwizzer3

Post by comkidwizzer3 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:06 pm

I would think about 1 week would be good :D
~My MODs~
Login After Register - v1.0.0 | Custom Ranks MOD - RC

~!Hasher!~

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 pm

I make considerably simple mods, I think that makes validation faster. :)
Excluding a few insta denies it takes (between Nov 08 - Agust 09)
327 days / on 30 validations = 10.9 days average for (approve or deny) validation of my mods

Total average days for the validation of my mods takes (including denials and approvals per mod - excluding insta deny time and update submitted before validation time)
327 days / 15 = 21.8 days

Code: Select all

in 9 days deny
13 days update approve
6 days update aprove
11 days approve
4 days update approve
22 days deny
22 days update approve
15 days deny
23 days update deny
3 days update approve
24 days approve
23 days approve
14 days deny
4 days update approve
15 days approve
13 days deny
2 days update approve
14 days approve
12 days approve
13 days approve
13 days deny
2 days update deny
5 days update deny
13 days update approve
7 days deny
5 days update deny
5 days update deny
13 days update approve
11 days approve
comkidwizzer3 wrote:I would think about 1 week would be good :D
I can say that, it takes around ten days for a (approved or denied) validation in my experience. I think that is fine :)
I abandoned all of my mods.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:33 pm

Well that's doable...if yours is the only MOD in the queue or if there's only a couple of MODs in there ahead of yours. The delay usually stems from where your MOD is in the queue order and how big the MODs ahead of yours are (*cough* portals *cough*). So sometimes we'll get your MOD validated in less than a week but other times it may take 4+ weeks.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:52 pm

That is a bit unreasonable to ask. Yes, it would be nice, but you have to take into consideration several factors:
  1. Both the MOD Team and the Jr. Validators are volunteers, this means that they are only able to validate MODs in their spare time.
  2. Many MODs are submitted to the Queue. With each MOD that is submitted, it goes into a waiting list. The validators then validate the MODs in order of first submitted.
  3. Big MODs, as DavidIQ stated, sometimes very large MODs (such as Portals) are submitted to the queue. These MODs take a much longer time to validate than smaller MODs (perhaps such as yours), but if they are first in the queue, it could delay those other MODs significantly.
  4. Poorly coded MODs. Poorly coded MODs are harder to look through and take longer to validate for this reason. If a well-coded MOD is submitted to the database, it has the added benefit of being approved quickly.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Bullsaj

Post by Bullsaj » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:30 am

I think there should be screen shots implemented with the post, therefore people can preview what they are installing.
JOIN CHICAGO BULLS NETWORK:
http://www.chibullsnetwork.co.cc

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:40 am

Bullsaj wrote:I think there should be screen shots implemented with the post, therefore people can preview what they are installing.
We have this in mind so hopefully in the future you'll be able to get just that ;)

Right now all we can do is provide that empty post for the author that's right after the release post. :|

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:38 am

I had an idea a while go which I though - and still think - that would be really useful for members:
Every time a member of the mod team posts that "mod updated to version x.xx" the first post being edited to mention this...
I guess it could be a manual or automatic edit. So the post will look like:

Modification name: Blah blah
Author: mod_author_name
Modification description: Does this great thing
Modification version: 1.0.0
Tested on phpBB version: See below

Download file: mod1.0.0.zip
File size: xxxxx Bytes

Modification overview page: View

Selected tags:
  1. Category
    1. Add-Ons
  2. Complexity
    1. File Edits
  3. Time
    1. ~ 1 Minute
  4. phpBB
    1. 3.0.5
Support for this modification needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Team is not responsible or required to give anyone support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.

Changelog
  1. 2009-08-20 : Mod updated to version 3.0.0
  2. 2009-07-20 : Mod updated to version 2.0.9
  3. 2009-06-20 : Mod updated to version 2.0.8
  4. etc...
This way users will see at once what new versions are out and won't have to search the entire topic for mod updates.
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

macgizzard

Post by macgizzard » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:57 am

I only have one question (for now) :lol: Is there a preview of modifications anywhere? For instance there are multiple quick reply modifications but I would like to see a "live" example before choosing which one I would prefer. At minimum a screenshot(s)
Am I missing this and if not COULD it be "required" and included in the MOD Database along with the Validation of a MOD?
You all do such a good job of developing these mods and its more than half the fun using them but in version 2 of phpBB the Mod Database got so huge it took more time trying to choose what you would like to have by searching for an example than it did to install it.

I apologize ahead of time if this should have been posted in a different area.

THANKS

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:37 pm

At the moment, there is no screenshot "repository" for any validated MODs in the MODDB. The MOD author is tasked with providing any screenshots and/or a demo link of their MOD and adding it to the MOD Release topic if they so wish.

updown

Post by updown » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:34 pm

ChriZathens wrote:
Changelog
  1. 2009-08-20 : Mod updated to version 3.0.0
  2. 2009-07-20 : Mod updated to version 2.0.9
  3. 2009-06-20 : Mod updated to version 2.0.8
  4. etc...
This way users will see at once what new versions are out and won't have to search the entire topic for mod updates.
Great idea! :!:

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”