Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
T50

Re: Your feedback on the MOD Database and Validation process

Post by T50 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:00 pm

3Di wrote:Who cares about how long it was the maximum time a MOD has been in the queue? Are you joking? :shock:
I am one who cares about it.
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!
Make a few $$ in under a few minutes, easy to do

Webmaster of a Northeast Wisconsin Boy Scout Troop Website, http://bsat50.info

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:01 pm

T50 wrote:
3Di wrote:Who cares about how long it was the maximum time a MOD has been in the queue? Are you joking? :shock:
I am one who cares about it.
Feel free. Care to explain why?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:09 pm

I think the MOD Authors are complaining that the stat is “inaccurate”, some MODs get validated faster than the average, and others longer. Really the only complaints I’ve seen is when it does take a bit longer than the average. I think because people forget it is an “average”. Don’t get us wrong, we do appreciate your feedback and opinion, but we are also entitled to disagree. :P

The feature was requested by MOD Authors, so if we remove it, we would make other people unhappy. It’s easier for people who don’t like to see the stat... to not look at the stat as it is for people who want to see the stat and suddenly find it missing. See our point of view?

We have to try and accommodate as many users as possible, so while I will throw out questions, I’m looking for more details or clarity, it certainly doesn’t mean I either agree or that we’d actually perform that change. But it means that I am searching for some common ground or compromise.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

T50

Post by T50 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:10 pm

Because I would like to know approximately how long ago the oldest mod in the queue was submitted, so I can sorta get a little expectation on when mine might be done. I mean, really the queue page is useless, I mean sure it tells how many were submitted and denied/approved for each day for about a week, but it doesn't help any when we don't know what the actually number is that is in the queue.
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:13 pm

This topic is here for us as a user to give you guys feedback, what you do with it is completely up to you. I can see why it is there, but I don't like it because it doesn't say anything.
So if the mod team decides to leave it I can live with that decision.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:18 pm

Highway of Life wrote:I think the MOD Authors are complaining that the stat is “inaccurate”, some MODs get validated faster than the average, and others longer. Really the only complaints I’ve seen is when it does take a bit longer than the average. I think because people forget it is an “average”. Don’t get us wrong, we do appreciate your feedback and opinion, but we are also entitled to disagree. :P

The feature was requested by MOD Authors, so if we remove it, we would make other people unhappy. It’s easier for people who don’t like to see the stat... to not look at the stat as it is for people who want to see the stat and suddenly find it missing. See our point of view?

We have to try and accommodate as many users as possible, so while I will throw out questions, I’m looking for more details or clarity, it certainly doesn’t mean I either agree or that we’d actually perform that change. But it means that I am searching for some common ground or compromise.
Certainly I see your point of view, I know it.

This does not mean that some answers playing really rough, like that of Paul (and yours, while agreeing to him there).

You have requested an opinion and you were given, before asking then it would be better to ask ourself what each other could respond, is not it?

If Paul has something to clarify with me, he have my contacts, he may do so privately, everyone has their own pride that is not just good to harm.

End OT and thanks.

Anyway, please get rid of that simple stat and then create a brand new good one, if you want and/or can.

Regards.

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:22 pm

At the end of all here we are in order to try to make phpBB even better, that's why you (the MOD Team) posted a such announce, so please be kind if you want us to continue supporting this awesome world.
:ugeek:

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 pm

T50 wrote:Because I would like to know approximately how long ago the oldest mod in the queue was submitted, so I can sorta get a little expectation on when mine might be done. I mean, really the queue page is useless, I mean sure it tells how many were submitted and denied/approved for each day for about a week, but it doesn't help any when we don't know what the actually number is that is in the queue.
I could agree with your point of view but not by the coder's side though.

Regards.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Perhaps I’m missing something here, but after going back and looking at Paul's post again, I don't see what was so offensive about his answer. :? IMO it made sense for him to answer. But I don’t think he had any intention of coming off offensive. Sure it wasn't perfect grammar but... :?
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:32 pm

Highway of Life wrote:Perhaps I’m missing something here, but after going back and looking at Paul's post again, I don't see what was so offensive about his answer. :? IMO it made sense for him to answer. But I don’t think he had any intention of coming off offensive. Sure it wasn't perfect grammar but... :?
OT wrote:I know what I mean.. if you like you could add me to your MSN then I'll explain.. I could post several links where I got sarcasms toward my person by him. I would like to know if I'm a guy who is welcome to post here, this time.

Back to the topic. Thanks.

Agrajag

Post by Agrajag » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:08 pm

One problem I've had while developing MODs is in-complete documentation on the site. For example, on this page the insert/update/remove data sections have been empty for at least 8 months (since I first started doing modding). There are other similar areas where the documentation on how to create mods is incomplete. I think this stops people from submitting mods more than anything else. It makes it less likely someone will start or complete a mod, and it makes it more likely there will be problems or non-standard functions/methods used which make it incompatible with other mods or ineligible for the modDB.

I have also been unable to find a detailed list of exactly what sort of things could make your mod not acceptable for the DB. Obviously if it doesn't function as advertise or has malicious code, but are there stylistic/formatting problems that could get a mod denied? There's an FAQ entry on this page that says "Are there any standards I need to follow?" and the answer says to read this page. Which is a broken link.

Basically I feel the poor organization and incompleteness of documentation is the biggest problem with the MOD system (on the programming side).

On the users side, a better separation of mods for phpBB2 and phpBB3 would be useful. Currently when you initially view the modDB they're both mixed in together, which is useless.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:38 pm

Agrajag wrote:On the users side, a better separation of mods for phpBB2 and phpBB3 would be useful. Currently when you initially view the modDB they're both mixed in together, which is useless.
i wasnt going to jump in until i read this.

phpbb MODDB

that is the first page you see when you go to the MODDB. its the recently validated MODs. since MODs for phpbb2 are not longer accepted, you would be hard-pressed to find a v2 MOD in that list. if users want to browse the DB, there are links on the right side (the second one being "phpbb version"). how much easier can it get?

Agrajag

Post by Agrajag » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:52 pm

The second sentence on that page is (emphasis added)
Here, you may find many MODs (short for "modifications") for both phpBB2 and phpBB3.
If I use the links on the right side to sort by, for example, category then the results have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 mods mixed in. If there were separate pages for v2 and v3 this would be less confusing and more useful.

momentum

Post by momentum » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Having found the Subscribe link in the database listings I subscribed to a couple of MODs that I'm using and a couple of others that showed promise. It was only later that I found there doesn't seem to be a way of telling which MODs you've subscribed to. :|

For topics here on the board all is easily controlled from inside the UCP. The MOD database doesn't seem to offer the same functionality.

Craig.
QOTY: phpBB is free, good hosting is not. - robert (Lumpy Burgertushie)

T50

Post by T50 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:35 pm

One question

Why is the queue stats different when logged in in comparison to not being logged in?

shouldn't it be the same?

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”