Display Name

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
Similac

Display Name

Post by Similac »

Maybe Im missing this because I have searched and cannot find any information on it, but Im sure others have wanted the same thing.

Wanted there to be an option during registration for "Display Name" that would show on posts instead of the username.

Thanks,
Similac

Re: Display Name

Post by Similac »

Anyone?

Ive found posts where this has been asked multiple times and no one has ever answered it.

I have a custom profile field thats required on registration for "Display Name", but need to know how to replace the post auther, last poster, and all of the other "author" vairables to show display_name instead of their username.

I dont want it showing the username and display name together.
nouveau

Post by nouveau »

I've started work on a MOD for this which will be a complete replacement for the username field in basically all front end screens.

I'm probably 50% done and will post up some screens when I get a chance, but there are many code changes to do.

Will have similar ACP functions to allow, disallow usernames as well as admin ability to change display names or search on the display name as well as the MCP, any changes will also appear in logs.

On registration a display name will be required and users will log in with their username. On all other screens, the display name will be shown to the user.
Formerly known as xceler8shun
guardog

Post by guardog »

Good to hear a MOD is being worked on. ;)

May I suggest a feature to completely hide the username from memberlist and profiles through ACP (because some people tends to register with their real name in username), and enable a user to send PM by display name, of course this means certain rules must be applied to display names - no repeat of display name.
Dream and reality...
What's the difference?...
guardog

Post by guardog »

I've found a simple Display name solution, which only involve the edit of viewtopic_body template, meaning that there won't be functions like: searching by Display name, word censoring of display name, etc.

It's here
Dream and reality...
What's the difference?...
nouveau

Post by nouveau »

Completed development MOD is located here

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1116805

The login name is separate from the username, leaving basically everything that ties into the username field as it is to minimise issues with other forum functions.

The login name should only be known to admins / moderators if they have relevant permissions and the user themselves.

Admins will basically have full functionality over the login name as they do with the username.
Formerly known as xceler8shun

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”