[REQ] Edit Post and Registration Dates

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Suggested Hosts
Linda Carter

Re: [REQ] Edit Post and Registration Dates

Post by Linda Carter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Not sure if this will be useful in some degree - it's the vB source code from the hack.
Change Threads/Posts Owner/Date for 3.8

What does this modification do?

It can change the owner and date of multiple threads and post. For this, it adds another option to your mod actions on forumdisplay, showthread and search results. After selecting some threads or posts, you can choose the new owner by name or by UserID. "By name" works with the AJAX namesuggestion, we all know it from writing a PM. After changing the name, it rebuilds thread/forum counters and post counter of old and new user. Attachments will also be assigned to new user.

Installtime: <1 minutes
Difficulty: very easy (1 product)

Features
- Can change owner and date of selected posts and threads (including database attachments - it will not move file attachments)
- Can change owner to unregistered user and back
- Can accept user id and username
- Username input is driven by AJAX
- Post count of involved users will be increased/decreased
- Thread and forum counters of involved threads and forums will be rebuild
- Supports inline moderation
- Makes use of $template_hooks, hooks and simple group permissions
- Every change will leave a notice in moderation log

Features for future releases
- Incrementally change time, f.e. first posts is 12:01:01, second one will get 12:01:02h, third one 12:01:03h....
- Moving file based attachments to the new user

How to install?- Simply import product
Source code - download the file below:

Edit: Link's gone, expired.

I am posting here because someone who used vB might develop/improve the current phpBB 3 hack, maybe finding a solution between the lines of this vB hack, which I can confirm, it's working just fine. :ugeek:

One more thing:
I guess there is no further development going on for this otherwise very useful mod, concerning the fix of the replacing of the topic in the viewforum page according to the date change?
The issue described regarding the viewforum displaying the new changed dates is not happening in vB. One more reason to really dig into this code/hack and find a way to adapt for phpBB 3.
Last edited by Linda Carter on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

healeydave

Post by healeydave » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:32 pm

The most useful hack that I had in my old PHPBB was the edit_post_date hack written by ErDrRon.

In fact this is one of those hacks / includes that should be in PHPBB as standard for admins.

Since upgrading to PHPBB 3 it no longer works.

I still get the popup window were-by it reads the existing post date and gives you the pull down menu's to choose a new date for the post, but the screen display is corrupted slightly and the only the month pull down menu is correct with a list of months, the pull down menu's for date and time are empty.

I'm no expert, but it looks like it ought to be fixable with some modifications to the existing code.

It was written in 2002 and has served me well until PHPBB 3 :-(

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:41 am

If someone could simply adapt the vBulletin hack, we could have a working tool here. But I guess both are entirely different... I saw once a MOD from vB here (it was a unique image resizer created by a user), but I don't know if in this case, adapting was easier than the Edit Post Date.

The phpBB 2 hack from ErdrRon, didn't worked 100% back then, since we still had the viewforum issue which makes the MOD itself useless in some level, and the "Daylight saving time" bug which will never respect the time you insert (always adding or decreasing one/two hours, no matter the period of year you are in). The phpBB 3 hack never worked at all as you can see by my posts, unfortunatelly it's only on beta stage.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

healeydave

Post by healeydave » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:25 am

I've got to be honest, I've not looked into it at all, I've been really lazy because I just found ErDrRon's hack years ago and used it and it seemed to work fine for my requirements.

I only really need date modification, time is not that important to me, if I did need an accurate time stamp, I'm sure I could mentally adjust my entry by the necessary hour(s) to compensate.

My board is only a small system, used mainly for historic support information. I'm not even sure what you mean by the "ViewForum" issue.

As PHPBB is simply an html front end engine for a MySQL database, surely all ErDrRon's hack does is add a button link into the existing PHPBB html to launch a new browser window. The form in that windows takes a new set of date data from the operator and it just updates the MySQL post date field accordingly.

I guess I could edit the date field manually in MySQL but I'm pretty sure the only reason ErDrRon's original script no longer works is due to changes in PHP compatibility since it was originally written in 2002.

Again I'm being lazy, I never really work with PHP, but if it becomes a real issue for me, I guess I will have to do some comparisons of the original PHP code in ErDrRon's scripts and today's PHP code to see what's changed. Something that will probably take me hours that a regular PHP user could probably do in 5 mins :-(

Forgive me if I have completely under-stated what is required to fix this :-)

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:33 am

healeydave wrote:I'm not even sure what you mean by the "ViewForum" issue.
The picture speaks for itself:

You see, when you enter any of these forums (this one is called "[3.0.x] MOD Requests"), there's a list of threads and the date/time of the last reply of each one. The ErdRron hack wasn't capable of making the board understand that, if a user changes the date of each post on a specific thread, the last post that needs to be showed on the picture above, was the last post from the fake date, not the real last post made on the thread.

Which means, for example:

Original posts (no changes were made by any MOD):
Post #1 - made by LC on October 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Post #2 - made by HD on October 1st, 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #3 - made by PP on October 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM
After you used the Edit Post Date, and changed only the dates:
Post #1 - made by LC on October 3rd, 2001, 01:00 AM
Post #2 - made by HD on January 1st, 1998, 01:30 AM
Post #3 - made by PP on February 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
When you are looking that thread (viewthread) you will see those posts aligned according to the MOD/fake dates, not the post IDs.

So you will see exactly this (on viewthread):
Post #1 - made by HD on January 1st, 1998, 01:30 AM
Post #2 - made by LC on October 3rd, 2001, 01:00 AM
Post #3 - made by PP on February 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
If someone posts on this thread on 2009, that post will be moved to the middle of posts 2 and 3. Even if it's brand new and was really made on October 10th, 2009.

The viewforum issue means that the fake last post of the thread will be the one which will appear on this list:

But the downside is that you may see that, on the top of this forum, there are "last posts" from 2007 and in the bottom, posts from 2009, which is not the correct order. This is happening because the board only recognizes last posts from IDs, and if your fake post from 2007 was made AFTER the ones from 2009 (changed or not by this MOD), the board will disregard your fake dates on the viewforum list.

And if you click on the "View the latest post" shortcut (the hyperlink which will redirect you to that post #ID), the board will send you to that post ID, which clearly is not the last post you are seeing on the viewthread - it can be the first post made on 2001 (fake date).

Yes, the MOD worked, but this limitation was annoying because the developer was never able to fix it (or simply stopped working on the code).

Regarding the daylight saving time, you are wrong if you think this is not equally bad. If you are planning to insert only dates, then you should also find a way to force your entire board (users and cpanel) to never display hours and minutes. And this was something I wasn't capable of (although it seems a lot easier than developing a hack).

I have tested the vB hack myself, and I can assure all of you it's working 100% and doing everything that is required for changing dates, I believe not even the daylight saving time is affecting the changes.

I liked ErDron's MOD, that pop-up displayed by the hack was a better and efficient way to change more dates without refreshing the page everytime the user changes the post's date. If you attempt to do that using Opera browser, it will not refresh, but Firefox will (don't ask me why).

And finally, I must admit I was really beginning to like the phpBB 3 hack, but then I discover it was not working at all, dates were suddenly changed from one year to another, or month. But one thing I saw that was a great addition compared to the phpBB 2 hack (and I guess it's also on the vB code) - you could also change the post's author on the same screen.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”