phpBB as a Mailing List/User Group?

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Anti-Spam Guide
cam815

phpBB as a Mailing List/User Group?

Post by cam815 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:57 pm

I've been a long-time user/admin of phpBB and have always used it as forum-based software. I'm looking to create a site that follows the suit of Yahoo or Google's user groups. A linear/flat display of "posts" which get emailed to everyone subscribed. Maybe separate categories using a forum setup, but the overall idea is to get a User Group created that, unlike Yahoo or Google, doesn't require you to have one of THEIR email addresses.

Has anyone had any experience setting this up? I'm sure I could figure it out, but I just thought I'd ask around before I went through the trouble of setting a new install up only to find that maybe it can't be done. And if phpBB isn't the best solution, maybe there is software out there that is a better fit for a mailing list/discussion group/forum?

Thanks in advance!
- C.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: phpBB as a Mailing List/User Group?

Post by Marshalrusty » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:13 am

I'm going to move this to MOD Development for you, as support is not for MOD related discussions.

I've seen a few sites do what you're referring to with phpBB. It's not much beyond changing the style and adding the emailing functionality. phpBB already has just about everything else built right in.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

HogCall

Post by HogCall » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:00 pm

What you are looking for is the mail2forum add-on. Unfortunately, the last stable release is only for phpBB2. There is a new release in the works, which is really more like a total re-write, that will support phpBB3, but a lack of developers is slowing the project up. :(

HogCall

Post by HogCall » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:04 pm

Oops, there is also already a discussion here about it:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=603719

MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Moved to the MOD Requests forum.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.