After X time or post view message "need register"

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Suggested Hosts
ibelphegor

After X time or post view message "need register"

Post by ibelphegor » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:56 am

When guest in site X minute's redirect to message page "need register to continue see post
Or after see X post redirect to message page "need register to continue see post.
Last edited by ibelphegor on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

yng_mastr

Re: After X time or post view message "need register"

Post by yng_mastr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:38 pm

yeah something like this could be really great. even m waiting for a mod like dis.
There is always a way around..

Lisbon

Post by Lisbon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:05 pm

yng_mastr wrote:yeah something like this could be really great. even m waiting for a mod like dis.
Agree ;)

Lisbon

Post by Lisbon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:04 pm

For exemple. After the first page of every topicp need to register. ist´s possibel just see the firts page

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 am

I second your request. :)

I've been looking for a similar MOD which will consider minutes instead of pages. After X minutes, the user will be "blocked" from watching more pages and will be redirected to a special screen where he can see install instructions. This page can replace the usual terms of service.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

ibelphegor

Post by ibelphegor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:25 pm

I think for this "MOD" need only few lines to see if user not login then after X post,
or after X time redirect to "URL"...

If someone can help it will be great.

MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

Post by MGadAllah » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:42 am

yes very very nice
Would you like to know more about ISLAM ?

Legend Back

Post by Legend Back » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:45 am

I am also looking for this mod. plz some body help.
Legend Returnz da Boss of All Genius.

ibelphegor

Post by ibelphegor » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:49 pm

UP... :roll:

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Linda Carter wrote:I've been looking for a similar MOD which will consider minutes instead of pages. After X minutes, the user will be "blocked" from watching more pages
How do you expect to track this?

Cookies can be prevented / altered / removed. IP addresses can be shared. Sessions can be changed by starting a new browser session.

Allowing someone to read the first "X" characters of a post based on whether they are logged in or not is easy. Allowing guests to read the first page of posts but not anything beyond that is also easily done. But these would be keyed by a user being logged in or not. Trying to track a user's activity for someone that doesn't want to be tracked is unreliable at best.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:20 am

drathbun,
this is a vbulletin MOD, but I don't have this script (and don't intend to), so I won't be able to tell you how is made. However, I feel this could be a nice addition to the phpBB system, if possible to be adapted by someone with the necessary knowledge.

Anyway, I just found out the description of this MOD, take a look:
Limited Guest Viewing -- Improve community registration rates

With vBulletin, forum guests are able to view endless amounts of content without being directly asked or forced to register no matter how many times they come back. The purpose of the Limited Guest Viewing System is to drive in registrations by limiting the number of threads guests are able to view without interruption.

This plugin offers two options which can be used to drive in more registrations. The first option allows you to show a reminder message or advertisement after a guest has viewed a certain number of threads.

The second option puts up a roadblock stopping guests from viewing threads altogether after reaching a certain number of views. Both options work together to encourage and ultimately force anonymous visitors to either register or login but can also be used separately based on your individual needs.

Because this plugin uses cookies, few if any bots will be impacted when it comes to spidering your site.

Customizing the content / messages

To customize which messages appear or what they say, go to vBulletin options, select the “Limited Guest Viewing System” group and configure the options as desired. Each phase can be modified by adding translation text.

Through the ACP you can enable or disable each option, specify the number of threads that can be viewed before the option is enabled and input any forums you wish to exclude from being blocked.

About spiders/bots

This plugin works by setting a cookie to track the number of visits from a particular user. As bots do not tend to accept cookies, they should not be blocked. To further insure there is no spider accessibility issues, there script identifies major bots (google, yahoo, msn, aol) and explicitly lets them through -- you can easily add to this list by editing the plugin code should you so desire, however, unless a bot starts taking cookies this should not be necessary.
Questions and answers:

1) How does it detect how many page views? Cookie or IP based or both?

Answer: Just cookies. Tracking IPs would mean a lot of database calls which I wanted to avoid.

2) How easily is it circumventable? If i simply clear my cookies, will i be able to start viewing all over again?

Answer: Getting around this would not be impossible or even very difficult but it should stop most guests who don't know a thing about tracking visits in cookies.

And Spiders don't accept cookies so it can't block them on that basis (which is how the plugin checks). There is also an exclude list in the script to insure bots go right through.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

danopia
Name: Daniel Lamando

Post by danopia » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:07 am

I should get google's useragent so I can use that and use it like a backstage pass instead of clearing cookies every 5 topics.
Hackers are not criminals. Hackers are the only people out there to keep crackers and virus coders on the run. Hackers are misconstrued by the media, but in reality, they do not cause damage or steal. Hackers tell system administrators of the faults of their software, and keep the Internet safe from those who don't.

phpBB3 MODs: Simple Topic Calendar

Green Light

Post by Green Light » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:04 am

danopia wrote:I should get google's useragent so I can use that and use it like a backstage pass instead of clearing cookies every 5 topics.
LOL. Or you could just register and save the time of getting googles user-agent and clearing cookies.. ;)
I would like to see a mod like this..

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:15 am

About the other post regarding the vB hack - News from the vB thread itself: :)

Description from the vB hack:
Limited Guest Viewing -- Motivate Guests to Register

Version 2.0 of this addon which allows for IP tracking using a mySQL database has been released. This is an optional feature which is disabled by default.

With vB, forum guests are able to view endless amounts of content without being directly asked or forced to register no matter how many times they come back. The purpose of the Limited Guest Viewing System is to drive in registrations by limiting the number of threads guests are able to view without interruption.

This plugin offers two options which can be used to drive in more registrations. The first option allows you to show a reminder message or advertisement after a guest has viewed a certain number of threads. The second option puts up a roadblock stopping guests from viewing threads altogether after reaching a certain number of views. Both options work together to encourage and ultimately force anonymous visitors to either register or login but can also be used separately based on your individual needs.
Customizing the content / messages:
To customize which messages appear or what they say, go to vB options, select the “Limited Guest Viewing System” group and configure the options as desired. Each phase can be modified by adding translation text.

Through the ACP you can enable or disable each option, specify the number of threads that can be viewed before the option is enabled and input any forums you wish to exclude from being blocked.

Search Engine Bots (Spiders):

This plugin is intended to use cookies as a result few if any bots will be impacted when it comes to spidering your site [bots do not generally use cookies]. Users with IP logging enabled face more potential impact from spiders. For a full explanation of the impact on bots please read the install file. Questions about this issue should be asked after the install file will be read otherwise responses will direct you to read the file.
IP/ Database Logging:
As of version 2.0 the vB add-on now allows for IP logging via mySQL instead of just using cookies. IP logging tracks visitors by IP address stopping issues associated with cookie clearing making the system more secure. This is optional and is turned off by default.

There are 3 possible downsides of this option you should be aware of.

1. The system adds an additional query and update every time a guest views a thread which adds to your server load.

2. Some users on ISPs like AOL share IPs and could be forced to register without being able to access any threads.

3. While spiders often change IPs and are specifically excluded (by hostmask) from the addon this is not absolute and it is possible they could be blocked. See the install file for more on this.
Latest version: 2.01, from December 10th, 2008. Source here.

Additional info from the vB hack:
Version: 2.0.0
vB Version: 3.7.x

The ultimate goal of just about every community is to grow membership and while many visitors are only looking for one or two pieces of information, many more return day after day without registering. The purpose of the Limited Guest Viewing System is to drive in registrations by limiting the number of threads guests are able to view before registering or seeing an advertisement. This system is designed to encourage and ultimately force visitors to register by limiting the amount of "browsing" guests can do.

To accomplish this task, the Limited Guest Viewing System has two mechanisms which may be turned on or off individually.

1 - After a defined number of threads are viewed, the addon can trigger a customizable message explaining the benefits of the forum, registration and prompt the user to join.

2 - After a defined number of threads are viewed, the addon can stop future viewing of threads by displaying a customizable error message.

To track views, The Limited Guest Viewing System works either with cookies or (as of version 2.0) database logging. Neither of these systems is foolproof, nor are they meant to be, however they will allow you to prevent most guests from viewing threads or bug them along the way.

Cookie Tracking: This is the standard option and is always enabled. Using cookies views to threads are tracked and a cookie on the user's computer is updated. This system has very little code associated with it and produces little to no additional load to your server. However, by simply clearing cookies users will be able to bypass this protection.

Database Tracking: This is an optional setting which is turned of by default. Using a mysql data table, views to threads are tracked by the visitor's ip and stored in the database. Using this system adds 2 additional queries to every thread view from a guest and will add to the overhead of your server. Additionally because this addon uses IP addresses it is possible to block unintended users (i.e. people on a shared network or with an ISP that uses common addresses). There may also be search engine spider implcations as explained below.

The Limited Guest Viewing System is designed to help push along registrations but is not foolproof, nor is meant to be. The system uses single-session cookies which can be cleared by users fairly easily. Additionally, to either allow viewing of key forums or block only select areas for guests, this system can be configured to skip certain forums. Finally, the system is designed to suppress messages from The Welcome Headers System for users with the 3.6 version of that addon.

Bot/ Search Engines:

Many members are concerned about how search engine bots will respond to this addon. To prevent errors, this addon uses two levels of protection. First off this addon is cookie based -- since most bots do not use cookies they will not be flagged for either messaging or blocking. Secondly, this plugin does a basic check to identify major bots including Google, Yahoo and MSN and a few others and will allow them unrestricted access.

That said, it is not recommended to use this addon with guests set to be unable to view any content -- if you do notice strange behavior with spiders on your site, fully diagnose the issue and then report it using the official support thread.

For users with database tracking enabled this system will still try and ignore major search engine bots identified by their user agent type. However not all search engine bots may display this information and it is possible a bot could be blocked if it returned with the same IP address multiple times. While I feel this concern is minimal you should monitor your SE rankings after installing this addon.
I am still hoping someone might convert this hack to phpBB. It would be a gread addition. :)

sdk

Post by sdk » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:25 am

Any updates on this.

Its been a long time on this thread since the last update.

Is it already developed...can't get hold of any though.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”