Users are allowed to moderate their own topics

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
Sonya*

Re: Users are allowed to moderate their own topics

Post by Sonya* » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Sorry, was off for some days.

@Jarode I am not sure how you can reinstall the permission. I have not found any function that would delete it. Guess that you should clean the permissions from database but be sure that no user or group uses the permission at the time.

@tonia Moving topics is something that requires moderator's role. Edit and delete are functions that are not restricted to the moderators only. Moving topics would mean that the user is allowed to enter moderator panel and this would be very tricky and excessive change.

@dontcoz I have to dig into mode development to do it. This is my first try and I have to go through some documentation to see how to do it properly.

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 am

great news!! it would be so awesome if you did that:)

*fingers crossed*

BadBlock

Post by BadBlock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:03 pm

On my board users are permitted to edit their own message only for a certain period of time after it was posted.
But in some forums I gave them permission to moderate their own topics.
It seems that this setting interferes with own topic moderation and prevents users from editing their messages after this timeout in self-moderated topic.
Perhaps I should have a look at this a bit closer.

BTW
Thanks a lot for giving this mod a good kick!

Sonya*

Post by Sonya* » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:32 pm

BadBlock wrote:On my board users are permitted to edit their own message only for a certain period of time after it was posted.
But in some forums I gave them permission to moderate their own topics.
It seems that this setting interferes with own topic moderation and prevents users from editing their messages after this timeout in self-moderated topic.
It should not be. I have restricted the editing time as well, however, my code ignores this setting if user has permission to moderate his own topic. Can you give a bit more information? Can't the user see the button "edit" or can he see the button but not allowed to edit the post if he clicks on the button?

BadBlock

Post by BadBlock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Can you give a bit more information? Can't the user see the button "edit" or can he see the button but not allowed to edit the post if he clicks on the button?
He sees Edit but gets a not allowed to edit error when he clicks it.
I disabled editing at the moment, just deleting, that will do for me.
Should I investigate this further? Seems this issue is on my forum only, right?

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:15 am

bump. just curious how's the mod validation going:)

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:45 am

For those that want a MODX installation package for Sonya*’s MOD I’ve created one.

Also did the permission file as a UMIF one, just because I wanted to see if I could do it.

Apart from the MODX file, and the UMIF for setting up the permission, the only change to the code of the MOD is to add a comment before and after each the file changes or additions.

There is no change to the functionality of the MOD, that is, it still only allows people to edit or delete any posts within the topics they create in the forum(s) they have been given the new permission in.

I’ve tested the install on phpBB 3.0.8 using AutoMOD 1.0.0 and there were no problems.

If Sonya* wants to use this install package in order to submit the MOD for validation that’s fine with me.

For those unfamiliar with the manual installation of MODX MODs have a look at [Tutorial] How to install a MODX modification, or for automated installation use AutoMOD.

Download: [edit] For download see below [/edit]
Last edited by Oyabun1 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Blazeflack

Post by Blazeflack » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Oyabun1 wrote:For those that want a MODX installation package for Sonya*’s MOD I’ve created one.

Also did the permission file as a UMIF one, just because I wanted to see if I could do it.

Apart from the MODX file, and the UMIF for setting up the permission, the only change to the code of the MOD is to add a comment before and after each the file changes or additions.

There is no change to the functionality of the MOD, that is, it still only allows people to edit or delete any posts within the topics they create in the forum(s) they have been given the new permission in.

I’ve tested the install on phpBB 3.0.8 using AutoMOD 1.0.0 and there were no problems.

If Sonya* wants to use this install package in order to submit the MOD for validation that’s fine with me.

For those unfamiliar with the manual installation of MODX MODs have a look at [Tutorial] How to install a MODX modification, or for automated installation use AutoMOD.

Download: users_moderate_own_topics.zip
Thanks for this, but the umil installation part is bugged. When installing the option is set as global and not local. I don't know if this causes the other issue I had, which is the permission not showing up where it was supposed to be. I uninstalled using the install_umot.php and then I used the code snippet from the first page and ran the addpermission.php file from my browser. This fixed it and I can now see and set the permission.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't understand how it could be setting the permission to global. Permissions created using a UMIF are global by default, but in this case the global parameter is specifically set to false.

As a local permission the permission should only show in the Forum Based Permissions area, which is exactly where it is showing on my test board.

I installed and uninstalled the MOD multiple times using the UMIF and AutoMOD and never encountered a problem with the created permission.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 pm

validation of this very desirable mod? anybody?:)

Sonya*

Post by Sonya* » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:42 pm

BadBlock wrote:It seems that this setting interferes with own topic moderation and prevents users from editing their messages after this timeout in self-moderated topic.
You are right. I have modified the code at another place:

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
posting.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

Code: Select all

trigger_error('CANNOT_EDIT_TIME');
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]----------------------------------
#

Code: Select all

if (!($auth->acl_get('f_author', $forum_id))) {
		trigger_error('CANNOT_EDIT_TIME');
            }
I have added the changes to the whole mod as well.

AgeOfStrife

Post by AgeOfStrife » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Needed this on my site today and stumbled across this mod, very handy. Had to tinker a little to get it to work with 3.0.5, and also had to adjust another mod I had installed (Prime Trashbin), but this has been a great change to my site. Just wanted to say thanks :)
Dan
Age of Strife owner

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Sonya* pls submit this mod for validation - it's a great community tool to have:)

you put in so much good work into it, why not finish it off with a bang;)

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”