duplicate account checker

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
zeropsi

duplicate account checker

Post by zeropsi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:17 pm

I have attempted to search for a mod that searches for a duplicate account upon registration based on registering users IP address.

Basically, I am looking for something to look for users who multi-register to use an AE on the site.

Anything like this out there?

Thanks.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: duplicate account checker

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Not really a good idea...what happens if users from say, a university want to register? They can't since they all would have the same IP. Some ISPs use the same IP for an entire coverage area as well and just assign sub-IPs from there. Then there's the possibility that more than one person goes to the library or an Internet cafe and want to register from there and suddenly can't. So you'd end up frustrating some people that would otherwise want to register on your forum. Not good for traffic if you ask me.

What exactly is an AE? If you're simply trying to fight spam there's lots of other options.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

zeropsi

Post by zeropsi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:28 am

DavidIQ wrote:Not really a good idea...what happens if users from say, a university want to register? They can't since they all would have the same IP. Some ISPs use the same IP for an entire coverage area as well and just assign sub-IPs from there. Then there's the possibility that more than one person goes to the library or an Internet cafe and want to register from there and suddenly can't. So you'd end up frustrating some people that would otherwise want to register on your forum. Not good for traffic if you ask me.

What exactly is an AE? If you're simply trying to fight spam there's lots of other options.
AE = Alter Ego

Our forum has a real problem people creating new user names to try and stir up trouble, so I am looking for a way to combat that.

I wouldn't really care if they were using a shared computer, I am sure we can put something in our TOS that states they need to register from a personal/private computer. I think most people have those today.

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:47 am

I believe it can even be helpful if duplicate accounts only detected automatically, but not denied at registration. Thus, such a mod can save time by giving a simple alert notice about the users who registered from the same ip addres.
I abandoned all of my mods.

baloo

Post by baloo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:36 am

I've been looking for something similar for phpbb.

I know there is a mod for VB that will, vie the use of cookies, track if more than one account logs in from the same PC. Sure there are sometimes false positives but it's managable.

The Mod will either create a post in a particular forum with the AE info or send a PM to the Admins/Mods.

Works well and I could use something for PHPBB too.

preowned

Post by preowned » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:49 am

post in this thread http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&t=551877 if you want a mod like it made. The mod requested in the other thread is designed after a good working existing vbulletin mod so by posting in that thread hopefully we can get someone to make a mod to catch and prevent double accounts. to date the other thread has had over 1200 hits and climbing. this one is at 100 hits. maybe someone could *cough cough* merge the threads? just an idea. :lol:

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:41 am

I made a mod [BETA] Duplicate User IPs (0.0.1) which compares the registration IP address with IP addresses in database. If there is any duplicate IP, the send notification mail to admin an about that and also records IP sharing user_ids, in a new field ad users table of new user, thus if there is any, admin can see common IP sharing usernames at ACP or user profile page.
I abandoned all of my mods.

baloo

Post by baloo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:35 am

mtrs wrote:I made a mod [BETA] Duplicate User IPs (0.0.1) which compares the registration IP address with IP addresses in database. If there is any duplicate IP, the send notification mail to admin an about that and also records IP sharing user_ids, in a new field ad users table of new user, thus if there is any, admin can see common IP sharing usernames at ACP or user profile page.
I saw that but I really need something cookie based. The amount of proxying the ISPs do in my area, basing the Duplicate User on an IP would generate a lot of false positives.

preowned

Post by preowned » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:03 pm

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1472765 you can have either ip or cookie searches, or both.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”