[REQUEST] MOD that can close board in specific periods

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
Linda Carter

[REQUEST] MOD that can close board in specific periods

Post by Linda Carter » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:57 am

Is there a MOD that can do this job? :)

I mean, the MOD will have to rely on the "disable board feature" from phpBB 3 and will be closed (accessible for members from specific groups/ranks) in specific periods of each day (for example, I want my board closed from 01:00 AM to 06:00 AM, and open from 06:01 AM to 12:59 PM), or days/months (closed for January, open for the next 11 months).

While the board is disabled, you will see that message:
Sorry but this board is currently unavailable (we should be able to edit the warning).
The admins can still use and login. :arrow:
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

Linda Carter

Re: [REQUEST] MOD that can close board in specific periods

Post by Linda Carter » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:34 am

Anyone? :!:
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:19 am

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
UP! 8-)

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sun May 10, 2009 6:15 am

UP! 8-)

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 am

Will closing the board cause any issue with search engine bots?
I abandoned all of my mods.

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Mon May 11, 2009 5:42 pm

mtrs wrote:Will closing the board cause any issue with search engine bots?
You might have a) only that warning message: "Sorry but this board is currently unavailable (we should be able to edit the warning)." and no forums are seen by guests (or members, but admins can still login), or b) you might close the register (new accounts) for a brief period of time, and reopen later... things like that. Either way, your board will be closed for new/current users if you like. Or somehow closed for specific groups of users.

The difference is that you will force all those things on specific periods of time... and your board alone will execute them when the time comes. Later, the board itself will disable those options.

I haven't seen such MOD on other scripts at this time, either...

poppertom69
Name: Tom Martin

Post by poppertom69 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Would you want this local to the user or the server. as you could add a simple query that ran every time a page loaded to check the time and match it against the time you want, or to redues server load run it every 30 minutes, but this could corse the board to turn off half an hour late!
Do one thing everyday, that scares you!

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Yes, but how do you execute that query? I mean, forget about all the new stuff. Think about the board closing for everyone, except the admin (that option already available inside the admin CP). How do you tell the board to execute this task and then reverse that order in the exact hour:minute specified?

A good example might be a private tracker... the register is open now, and a few minutes/hours later is closed again. Let's assume it was open from 02:00 PM to 03:35 PM. How may you configure the board to do that for you when you (the admin/person in charge) is offline?

poppertom69
Name: Tom Martin

Post by poppertom69 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am

you will set a time you want it to close e.g. 12:00 then the next time someone visits your board and its after 12:00 it will close it automatically and lets say its after 6 and someone visits it will will reopen, so anyone will have to visit you board to close it just has to be between that time, nothing will display to them. if you get what i'm saying!
Do one thing everyday, that scares you!

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”