[REQUEST] Disable [IMG] In [QUOTE] Tags (w/ exception)

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
Linda Carter

[REQUEST] Disable [IMG] In [QUOTE] Tags (w/ exception)

Post by Linda Carter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 am

This modification will disable all {IMG} tags within quote tags, leaving them as URL's instead
Well, that's the vBulletin description of this hack. I already saw working. Everytime you try to quote someone posting any kind of image (other than emoticons from your own board), the hack will turn them into links instead.

But there's one major exception I would like to add into this MOD request. Pay attention to what I am going to say next... :)

After you push the "QUOTE" button from the board, you are quoting the user's post. Including the IMG tags, and all sort of info/whatever is on the post quoted.

Then, you finally have posted. And since the MOD was active, all images were converted into links.

What I am suggesting here is to override this MOD, by simply editing the post, after it's made.

That means, if you are posting for the very first time (and only after oficially quoting the guy who posted any images, you will be afected by this MOD. But if you are editing your own post (or any others, if you are a MOD/admin), you will disable the MOD's effect in that post!

How cool is that?

We need this alternative since the whole purpose of this MOD is to avoid people from quoting images deliberately. They will have to edit their original posts after they are made. Do you understand the difference?

It's like removing additional contents from a very, very long quote made by some user. Annoying quotes can waste too much screen space, and we need to educate users about that, but not force them completely to never use quoted IMGs again. That's exactly my point.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

Linda Carter

Re: [REQUEST] Disable [IMG] In [QUOTE] Tags (w/ exception)

Post by Linda Carter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:20 am

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
Anyone? 8-)
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sun May 10, 2009 6:14 am

UP with description of the requested hack :)
This modification will disable all Image
Example:
This is my avatar:

mrshs

Post by mrshs » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:00 pm

I'll support this request. Actually that would be really helpful for our forum. We often had troubles with people hotlinking, images from our former forums. Such a mod would definitely be very helpful.

tritrek

Post by tritrek » Tue May 25, 2010 7:44 am

Any news with this?

disposablePhil

Post by disposablePhil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:39 pm

This guy has a pretty clever solution

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p8112565

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”