add timecheck to registration page

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
sharky86

add timecheck to registration page

Post by sharky86 »

hi guys!

i would need to add a hidden value to the registration form beeing the timestamp of when the page has been loaded. then check that value and compare it just after the user presses the submit button. that way i have the time the user has been on the registration page. if the value is lower then X seconds the page should just die, without any error message.

should be easy to do for oyu guys.. any help on this?

thank you

igor

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: add timecheck to registration page

Post by RMcGirr83 »

What would be the purpose...to stop spam bots? If so there are already a multitude of things that can be implemented and are described in this topic.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

sharky86

Post by sharky86 »

the problem with the official protections is that who makes spambots checks them, and prevents them. if i use something nobody else is using i am way more secure.. we used this on our old registration system and had 0 registrations in over ayear. before implementation we had almost one per day.

thank you anyway for your kind reply..

regards
sharky

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

sharky86 wrote:the problem with the official protections is that who makes spambots checks them, and prevents them. if i use something nobody else is using i am way more secure.. we used this on our old registration system and had 0 registrations in over ayear. before implementation we had almost one per day.
That is the purpose of setting a custom profile entry...it can be as unique as you want to make it.
thank you anyway for your kind reply..
not a problem, thank you for the, uhmmm, thanks :)
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

sharky86

Post by sharky86 »

ok, lets say that i would like to do it anyway, would it be difficult to add those thiny bits?

thnx

igor

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

There was a feature that used to be built into the 3.0.x branch that disabled the submit button on the registration page until x time had passed - this was changable from the ACP. Don't know why or when exactly it was removed. Leave it with me and I should be able to re-introduce it for you :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

And done - tested and seems to work well :)
http://www.sixstringmods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=257
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

sharky86

Post by sharky86 »

hello!

thank you very much, but unfortunately this script wont prevent bots from registering at all. (guess thats why it has been removed..)

bots most of the time dont go to the registration page at all. they submit the values directly to the page that evaluates them and puts them into the database.

what i would need is to SET the variable in the registration page (so if the bot doesnt visit it, it wont be set, or at least be empty) and then just before i evaluate the submitted info i would add something like this:

[php]if ((time()-$loadtime)> 600 or (time()-$loadtime)< 10)die();[/php]

this way if the bot doesnt visit the form page, the value will be realli high because it would be time()-0, if the bot visits the page, and submits in 1/2 seconds the value will be too small.. and the page will just die with no error message. no error message is importnt because it will look like if the page is bugged to who progs the bots.

thank you very much

igor

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”