[REQ] Facebook Connect for phpBB - Urgent!

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Suggested Hosts
chuckun

[REQ] Facebook Connect for phpBB - Urgent!

Post by chuckun »

I have seen the mod by the french programmer (I forget your alias or name, sorry!) and I have watched the Facebook tutorial video on how to impliment their Connect API into standard HTML websites... But neither of these have what I need!

I realise there have been other topics on this issue, but each of them actually failed to say what they really wanted, so I'm making a request which is worthy of being called a request.

Facebook Connect Mod:
  • Must allow users to register on a phpBB board using their Facebook profile.
  • Must allow users to log in, post-registration, using their Facebook profile.
  • On Registration, facebook profile details must be syncronised into their new phpBB profile. Ie; profileID, username, email, etc..
  • User receives facebook notifications of when their topics are replied to, new PMs, etc..
  • Facebook wall posts are made when user makes a new topic on the phpBB forum...
The last two points are just luxuries to be honest, but I'd like for them to be included.. I've seen it done on vBulletin, but I remain loyal to phpBB <3. I thought I could make this mod myself but I am either having a dull day, or I am not capable of it after all; I'm not entirely sure..

If you think you're capable of such a mod, I urge you to please consider creating this modification. I guarantee you there is a seemingly large call for it!

If the same mod could be done for MySpace/Twitter etc, that'd make life just dandy, but I'm not too worried about those, they can be done once the structure for this mod is achieved.

Thank you in advance for any movement on this.

PS: I have reviewed RPX and it does not look sufficient.

Thanks again,
Jack
chuckun

Re: [REQ] Facebook Connect for phpBB - Urgent!

Post by chuckun »

Is there noone willing to attempt this mod?

=/
Vincent-C

Post by Vincent-C »

I guess this request deserve more attention. If someone were to take up this responsibility for the sake of the entire phpBB users, please consider allowing users to choose their own username in the forum instead of pulling their real name from Facebook. I suppose most forum users prefer to stay anonymous, at least not revealing their real name.

Thanks.
transm

Post by transm »

Vincent-C wrote:I guess this request deserve more attention. If someone were to take up this responsibility for the sake of the entire phpBB users, please consider allowing users to choose their own username in the forum instead of pulling their real name from Facebook. I suppose most forum users prefer to stay anonymous, at least not revealing their real name.

Thanks.
PM me if anyone needs this for PHPBB2... I might be able to change it so it works for PHPBB3 but I don't have an installation to test it on. The only real thing I would need to change for PHPBB3 is the bit that creates the new account but maybe someone else can do that bit. Mine's not based on any other mods but only implements the linking of existing accounts to Facebook and also registration using Facebook Connect (creates temporary username that can be changed once).
Vincent-C

Post by Vincent-C »

Someone successfully made it: http://cluboholic.com/phpBB3/

The blog post about it: http://afterparty.cluboholic.com/blogs/ ... oholiccom/

He's yet to reveal how he do it. Any ideas guys? This is kind of vital as I believe it will somewhat boast new member registration.
Vodor

Post by Vodor »

I tried to login to see what it would do but it returns an error now - maybe because facebook implemented the 'username' feature?
Vincent-C

Post by Vincent-C »

Vodor wrote:I tried to login to see what it would do but it returns an error now - maybe because facebook implemented the 'username' feature?
Aw, it used to work. The other day when I click on it, there's a neat inline popup that ask for permission to connect between the site and Facebook, but I didn't proceed further, thinking it works.

So now what?
gfonseca

Post by gfonseca »

Sorry to *bump*, but still no word on this? vBulletin has this and someone said RPX has integrated it for phpbb3 (but I have yet to see an example).

Someone has to take this thing on...
gfonseca

Post by gfonseca »

So apparently: http://www.cluboholic.com/phpBB3/ is working again with the Facebook Connect plugin. I've tried to contact the webmasters and ask for a tutorial as to how it was done, but no response yet.

Is anyone else getting closer to figuring this out?
Encore204

Post by Encore204 »

any news ?
Vincent-C

Post by Vincent-C »

Looks like it works again now. I registered using Facebook Connect on cluboholic.com, and it's smooth as silk, allowing me to pick a username or use my FB name, then pick a password and I'm done. The account is created, but after that I couldn't see any boards. Perhaps he mess the permissions up but the signing up using FB account really works.

I've commented on the blog post, see if he reply.
gfonseca

Post by gfonseca »

Good to see that people are still pursuing an answer to this. Hopefully they'll be a tutorial up soon or someone will make a MOD. If anyone finds anything out please post it here for the rest of us. Thanks!
mathedit

Post by mathedit »

While my previous tutorial has frustrated some people, the only thing I can do it giving you ways :
  • Must allow users to register on a phpBB board using their Facebook profile.
    My tutorial permit it.
  • Must allow users to log in, post-registration, using their Facebook profile.
    My tutorial permit it.
  • On Registration, facebook profile details must be syncronised into their new phpBB profile. Ie; profileID, username, email, etc..
    Easy to do with the facebook API and fql_query fucntion : http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/FQL
  • User receives facebook notifications of when their topics are replied to, new PMs, etc..
    You need to MOD the phpBB notifications system, I have never looked at it.
    Facebook notifications documentation is here : http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/ind ... tions.send
  • Facebook wall posts are made when user makes a new topic on the phpBB forum...
    I have never looked at phpBB posting system it.
    Facebook wall post documentation is here : http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/ind ... am.publish
As I explained in facebook forums, everything you need for a basic connect MOD is here : At last, I recommend http://developers.facebook.com/tools.php for playing.
gfonseca

Post by gfonseca »

mathedit, I appreciate your help in trying to do this, but it's all a bit confusing for php beginners. Plus, your tutorial doesn't allow new members to simply use their facebook account to register on your board. I think that is what most of the people here are looking for: a stripped-down, step-by-step tutorial on how to mod a board to accept facebook users and all their info as new registrants.
gfonseca

Post by gfonseca »

I can't believe no one has found a tutorial/MOD for this yet. Other message board platforms (vBulletin) has plug-ins for this and no one in the phpbb community can come up with anything? I'd pay for this MOD if someone took the time to develop it...

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”