Mutual Friends Mod

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
superj707

Re: Mutual Friends Mod

Post by superj707 »

jbarrouk wrote:I agree that the mod he is creating is different than what was being requested, but I am glad. I think it is mch more useful to have a friend request mod. If you think about it, a mutual friends mod is worthless if the friend wasn't approved. They would mean nothing.

I have FRAM mod installed and there was always the assumption of this here I think
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 55&start=0 FRAM mod.
Last edited by superj707 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

jbarrouk wrote:... If you think about it, a mutual friends mod is worthless if the friend wasn't approved. They would mean nothing.
I totally disagree. Though the friend approval feature is useful, it's not part of the phpbb core and not everyone want to use it.

That being said, having a mutual friends mod (as initially requested) without the friend approval aspect would NOT be worthless.
Last edited by keith10456 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superj707

Post by superj707 »

keith10456 wrote:
jbarrouk wrote:... If you think about it, a mutual friends mod is worthless if the friend wasn't approved. They would mean nothing.
I totally disagree. Though the friend approval feature is useful, it's not part of the phpbb core and not everyone want to use it.

That being said, having a mutual friends mod without the friend approval aspect would NOT be worthless.
Well I am sure his new mod is very nice and quite useful.
However, either way the posted mod isn't at all what we were requesting here so back to the request table for us.
After 1 year I thought we were going to get this. :(

So anybody want to tackle this?
Lastpost

Post by Lastpost »

I will be standing in the line to. :mrgreen:
And for a social community like our board, it would be very handy.
They are all from the same area (local soccerclub board) and the change that someone that is allready a friend of a friend of mine is pretty big in our situation.

So if the board gives you suggestions for friends, purely based on the friends you allready have, it would not be worthless at all, might be that if it's a wordwide board and the friendship system is used to be digital-friends, but on our board the people that invite eachother to be a friend, are 8/10 times friends IRL.
Btw, for the people that have the request system in use, it would be logical to use it that way in the friends suggestions mod we want.
If someone wants to add me and I don't accept it, why bother to show friends of someone that I don't even want to be friends with in the first place.

Btw, a nice add-on would be to see the connections on the profile of the user you are watching, have seen that on a few dutch boards and also within a old phpb2 mod.
Just like this:

Friend connection: Your profile name -> Friends name, when you are on your friends page.
Friend connection: Your profile name -> Friends name (can be more that one offcourse) -> Name of the friends friend which is not your friend.
And the latest with more friends, if there are more friends linked to that person, so if I have 30 friends on the board and the user I'm not in friends with has 3 of my friends in his/her list, showing them the way as shown above.
killaziller

Post by killaziller »

superj707 wrote:hummm well okay..... uhhh

well I will start by saying thank you.

However, this is a good example of why actually reading threads is important.
It appears that you essentially remade a different version of http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 55&start=0 FRAM mod.

Which isn't a bad thing especially since FRAM is ABD

However, this isn't what is being requested in this thread in the slightest. LOL
This thread is about something different.
the mod would query your Friends, compare them to the Friends of your Friends, then let you know which Friends are on their Friends' list but not on yours... These would be your Mutual Friends.
I don't know what else to say. maybe you could also make the mod we are requesting? that would be so awesome.

like maybe if you and I were both friends I could look on your profile. lets say we were both friends with jack. there would be a list "jack is a mutual friend" why? because killazilla and superj707 are BOTH friends with jack. Now lets say I make friends with jack... the mod also looks and finds that jack and killazilla are both friends with jill but I am not. The mod would then say. "you might want to be friends with jill"

so it says who is the mutual friend and suggests who I might want to make a mutual friend
Ah, I think I understand now. I guess you really can't have mutual friends without friend requests though.

My original notes:

I'll try and extend this a bit and throw in the 'mutual friends'. At least we have a foundation going.
ZeroZaku - The phpBB playground of a highschool web designer with a suspicious attraction. It's like catharsis.
killaziller

Post by killaziller »

Alright, I updated the modification: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2098300

Hopefully, I got "mutual friends" right this time :?
ZeroZaku - The phpBB playground of a highschool web designer with a suspicious attraction. It's like catharsis.
superj707

Post by superj707 »

looks like you got it right.
anyway to just use this feature without using the other features in the mod? I already have FRAM
Lastpost

Post by Lastpost »

Yes you can use only these functions, just only perform the edits needed to show the functions, that isn't that hard to do with this mod.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Lastpost wrote:Yes you can use only these functions, just only perform the edits needed to show the functions, that isn't that hard to do with this mod.
Any thoughts on having a switch in the ACP that will enable/disable the functions?
killaziller

Post by killaziller »

keith10456 wrote:
Lastpost wrote:Yes you can use only these functions, just only perform the edits needed to show the functions, that isn't that hard to do with this mod.
Any thoughts on having a switch in the ACP that will enable/disable the functions?
I just finished that. Most of the features are still a little buggy from exporting the functions out of my forum, hence ALPHA.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”