Admin can post as Anyone/change Post Author faster?

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
nasadows

Admin can post as Anyone/change Post Author faster?

Post by nasadows »

[Mod Request] Admin can post as Anyone/change Post Author faster?
Hi,
My old High School class forums are on a free forum site that doesnt allow database backup. We abandoned that crappy service a long time a go. Now I've moved to a phpbb-custom made board.

Still now I want to extract / copy the posts from that old forum to the new phpbb forums, as they are all memories of my high school time.
No automatic code to do this is available today to my knowledge, so I guess I'll be doing that myself. I'll be reposting all of the topics, posts... and assigned them to the appropriate member, by the help of the "Admin can change post author" function, default in PhpBB MCP.

But the thing is, if I want to change author of just 1 post, currently I have to go through so many steps. My plan would take forever... :(

I see in Wordpress there is a selection for Admin upon posting to choose whatever user he wants to be:
So I am hopeful for PhpBB :)

Someone has already made a similar mod for PhpBB2
Notice the "2 way arrows" icon at the top right
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=442698
This is still a bit troublesome because you still have to click that icon and get to another page to do things, it would be nicer if instead of that icon is a Drop-down box (with all the names of the users) alongside with an "OK" button

Could someone possibly make it for for PhpBB3?

A mod that allows Admin to Drop-down select a username at posting to assign that user to the post, and a Drop-down box at the top-right of every post alongside with the "OK" button for quick changing the author of the viewing posts/topic

Please help, I really need that one. That would help massively my effort in recreating our community.

Many thanks in advance :D
Last edited by nasadows on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Re: Admin can post as Anyone/change Post Author faster?

Post by dellsystem »

You could use the submit_post() function. Try a Google search / phpBB.com search if you don't know what that is. Create a PHP page that calls that function once a form submitted, and all you have to do is enter the post author, title, forum ID and message for each post you want to re-create. Should be slightly faster than having to navigate to each forum and post there :)
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)

nasadows

Post by nasadows »

Sorry I have almost no coding experience,

and about your suggestion isn't this less intuitive and more tedious than a Mod? ;) And what about already posted posts?

Drop-down select sounds much faster than entering different IDs/usernames all the time,

and aren't those form get lost upon submitting? so I have to fill in all the blanks each time

I really want to add this as a function to the forum, just like what I have with Wordpress

Thanks for your fast reply anyway, I think that adds one more solution to the case 8-)

marian0810
Former Team Member
Name: Marian

Post by marian0810 »

nasadows wrote:I really want to add this as a function to the forum, just like what I have with Wordpress
I would be very interested in that too! :!:
You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid »

The thing is, when your forum gets a lot of members, not only will it load more slowly because it has to load the whole list each time into the drop down, but also the dropdown will get difficult to use because it will have so many names.
Anyway, I'm not sure of another MOD for phpBB3 for this, but I'll keep my eyes out.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

nasadows

Post by nasadows »

I see so instead of a Dropdown maybe a textbox to input the username, is that fine :D

Would be even better if next to the textbox is a Drop-down which remembers the last 5 used usernames. I don't mind adding a new table :lol:

marian0810
Former Team Member
Name: Marian

Post by marian0810 »

I need it for a small private forum, so that wouldn't be an issue.
You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

nasadows

Post by nasadows »

Yeah as stated in the first post my forum is for classmates only, how big is that gonna be? :lol:

I never give up hope in my forums to grow big though ;)

If I'm not mistaken that "remembering last selected posters" is already featured in the MCP, so it would be less coding already for anyone who would like to help us :P

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid »

I would say I would see about working on something, but I am already too busy with my other MODs. But maybe someone else will be willing to help you guys out. :)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

nasadows

Post by nasadows »

I see you have 2 Mods in development, when they are in a break could you please come back to help us out? I'm very thankful for that

Hope there is somebody else who is available, too. This is really a great tool for admins.

Pangaea

Post by Pangaea »

[center]SERIOUS MAJOR PROBLEM[/center]

Can anyone help me with this, im at the end of my tether with it/
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1969615

If anyone can help,. thanks
pan

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”