[REQ] Troll Hammer

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Suggested Hosts
BucsFan

[REQ] Troll Hammer

Post by BucsFan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:25 pm

After X number of members have placed you in their foes list, you are automatically placed in a special group (predetermined by the admin). The admin could select the "banned" group and the trolls could just be permanently banned. Or the admin could select a special group such as "trolls" where their posts are moderated and other restrictions are placed on them. Its a good way of allowing the community to identify and dispose of or sanction trolls.

Sometimes trolls will dance around the rules and avoid being banned... but are still able to inflame/provoke a lot of other members.

Could call it "Troll Hammer". ;)

Troll Definition:

Code: Select all

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
Last edited by BucsFan on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hostgator - The very best webhosting available on the net
The most reliable uptime - The lowest prices - Excellent tech support

BucsFan

Re: Troll Hammer

Post by BucsFan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 am

Nobody likes this idea?

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:13 am

There is already a MOD called "Ban Hammer" by SyntaxError90 http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1756785
;)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

BucsFan

Post by BucsFan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:44 am

imkingdavid wrote:There is already a MOD called "Ban Hammer" by SyntaxError90 http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1756785
;)
Thanks but thats not at ALL what I described above.

BucsFan

Post by BucsFan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Bump

BucsFan

Post by BucsFan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:37 am

Anybody?

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:44 am

MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

BucsFan

Post by BucsFan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:58 pm

Again, read my post more carefully. That mod does not do what I described. Thanks though.

BucsFan

Re: [REQ] Troll Hammer

Post by BucsFan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Ahh come on. You know this is a great idea. I'm starting to think its far too complicated for the caliber of modders around here at present.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:24 am

Hi there, BucksFan.

The MOD you are proposing is painfully simple (although that doesn’t mean: “quick and easy to create”).
But have you considered it possible that the Developer community here might not be interesting in creating the MOD you are requesting? Perhaps they are just not interested in the MOD for themeselves. What would motivate a Developer to create the MOD you are asking for? -- Unless you want to pay a developer to create the MOD for you, you're asking them to give up their free (and valuable) time to create something for your benefit alone. There are many who would suddenly jump at creating the MOD if it paid, but otherwise, you are relying on the very very tiny possibility that any developer (including myself) would be interested in creating the MOD for themselves - that’s usually the only other reason a developer would take on the MOD.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

BucsFan

Post by BucsFan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:40 am

Highway of Life wrote:Hi there, BucksFan.

Had you considered it possible that the Modding community here might not be interesting in creating the MOD you are requesting? Perhaps they are just not interested in the MOD for themeselves. What would motivate a Developer to create the MOD you are asking for? -- Unless you want to pay a developer to create the MOD for you, you're asking them to give up their free (and valuable) time to create something for your benefit alone. There are many who would suddenly jump at creating the MOD if it paid, but otherwise, you are relying on the very very tiny possibility that any developer (including myself) would be interested in creating the MOD for themselves - that’s usually the only other reason a developer would take on the MOD.
Yes I'm quite aware of how it works.

Do I think thats the case in this situation? No.

Its actually a useful modification for ANY online community. I frequent a lot of message boards and one thing I see EVERYWHERE is trolls. People who post on a forum for the sole reason of antagonizing the other members. I also see how it effects the other members. They wish there was a way to do away with the trolls. If you were to hold a poll asking forum members whether they would like to have a hand in the removal of trolls, I'd be willing to bet that at least 90% of them would vote YES. Its a huge issue on forums these days... and mostly because trolls usually aren't breaking the rules... so a moderator can't/won't do anything about it.

Why do I think this mod is not being picked up by a modder? I think its because its not a simple modification. It probably would take a huge amount of time and skill (which a lot of them don't have).

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:59 am

BucsFan wrote:Why do I think this mod is not being picked up by a modder? I think its because its not a simple modification. It probably would take a huge amount of time and skill (which a lot of them don't have).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There is certainly a lot of raw talent in the phpBB modding community, but for someone like myself who develops code that is about a thousand times more complex than this MOD you are proposing, I can tell you that complexity is not the reason for not wanting to take on the MOD.

As you already stated in your second post:
BucsFan wrote:Nobody likes this idea?
The MOD literally looks completely uninteresting to bother giving up my free time to develop. Good try though, haha! :D

There are many talented developers in this community like myself who will only create MODs if they meet one of two criteria:
  1. We get paid to code it.
  2. We want the MOD for our own community as well.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

BucsFan

Post by BucsFan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:08 am

Highway of Life wrote:
BucsFan wrote:Why do I think this mod is not being picked up by a modder? I think its because its not a simple modification. It probably would take a huge amount of time and skill (which a lot of them don't have).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There is certainly a lot of raw talent in the phpBB modding community, but for someone like myself who develops code that is about a thousand times more complex than this MOD you are proposing, I can tell you that complexity is not the reason for not wanting to take on the MOD.

As you already stated in your second post:
The MOD literally looks completely uninteresting to bother giving up my free time to develop. Good try though, haha! :D

There are many talented developers in this community like myself who will only create MODs if they meet one of two criteria:
  1. We get paid to code it.
  2. We want the MOD for our own community as well.
Wow, you're a smug one.

I get it.

1. YOU don't like my idea.

2. You fancy yourself a "talented developer" (way to toot your own horn, btw)

3. You ONLY write mods for your own benefit.

4. You seem to think all other modders do it for selfish reasons as well. You dismiss the fact that a lot of em actually do it because they enjoy it.

5. You reside on a giant soap box which has brought you to my thread.

Carry on.

Handyman`
Former Team Member

Post by Handyman` » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:22 am

Hi there,

I had to stop in and see what all the fuss was about.
BucsFan wrote:Wow, you're a smug one.
I'm not sure why you just disregarded what Highway posted. There are a couple things you need to think about before throwing out what he said.

#1 the number of times you have bumped your topic.
#2 the number of times people have linked you to MODs that do things that everybody else thinks are useful.
#3 the lack of enthusiasm for creating such an easy MOD.
#4 the reason developers get involved with OSS software (like phpBB) in the first place: to use the software themselves or it's their job (they're paid to do it).
#5 if you are not nice, the <1% of developers that may not fall under #4 will now run away because of this point.

Now, let me also point out a few more things from your last reply:
  1. BucsFan wrote:YOU don't like my idea.
  2. That's irrelevant. Yes, he is pointing out that he doesn’t think it’s a great idea and that others appear to not care much for the idea themselves, you already knew that from your second post:
    You are chastising the MOD community for not catering to your wishes, so you attempt to use coercion to get them to do what you want. But what if this MOD is not something they want?
    BucsFan wrote:2. You fancy yourself a "talented developer" (way to toot your own horn, btw)
  3. If you would look around a bit, you would know the kind of Stuff Highway creates - yes, he is a very talented developer, creating entire applications, not just simple MODs for phpBB.
    BucsFan wrote:3. You ONLY write mods for your own benefit.
  4. see point #4 above.
    BucsFan wrote:4. You seem to think all other modders do it for selfish reasons as well. You dismiss the fact that a lot of em actually do it because they enjoy it.
  5. See points #4 and #5 above.
    BucsFan wrote:5. You reside on a giant soap box which has brought you to my thread.
  6. Sounds like you're trying to shove him off the soapbox so you can get on.
You may now have your soapbox back :roll:
http://startrekguide.com My Mod Queue || 1/16/10 Display Posts Anywhere 1.2.0 RC5, Cash MOD 1.0.0 b1, MOD Version Check, AJAX Chat, SEO MOD, AJAX QR, Photo Gallery
MOD Development Manager (version 0.2.0-dev with MODX Generator)

BucsFan

Post by BucsFan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:20 am

Handyman` wrote:Hi there,

I had to stop in and see what all the fuss was about.
BucsFan wrote:Wow, you're a smug one.
I'm not sure why you just disregarded what Highway posted. There are a couple things you need to think about before throwing out what he said.

#1 the number of times you have bumped your topic.
#2 the number of times people have linked you to MODs that do things that everybody else thinks are useful.
#3 the lack of enthusiasm for creating such an easy MOD.
#4 the reason developers get involved with OSS software (like phpBB) in the first place: to use the software themselves or it's their job (they're paid to do it).
#5 if you are not nice, the <1% of developers that may not fall under #4 will now run away because of this point.

Now, let me also point out a few more things from your last reply:
  1. BucsFan wrote:YOU don't like my idea.
  2. That's irrelevant. Yes, he is pointing out that he doesn’t think it’s a great idea and that others appear to not care much for the idea themselves, you already knew that from your second post:
    You are chastising the MOD community for not catering to your wishes, so you attempt to use coercion to get them to do what you want. But what if this MOD is not something they want?
    BucsFan wrote:2. You fancy yourself a "talented developer" (way to toot your own horn, btw)
  3. If you would look around a bit, you would know the kind of Stuff Highway creates - yes, he is a very talented developer, creating entire applications, not just simple MODs for phpBB.
    BucsFan wrote:3. You ONLY write mods for your own benefit.
  4. see point #4 above.
    BucsFan wrote:4. You seem to think all other modders do it for selfish reasons as well. You dismiss the fact that a lot of em actually do it because they enjoy it.
  5. See points #4 and #5 above.
    BucsFan wrote:5. You reside on a giant soap box which has brought you to my thread.
  6. Sounds like you're trying to shove him off the soapbox so you can get on.
You may now have your soapbox back :roll:

So basically, you're backing him up.

Ok. Noted...

...and I still disagree.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”