Bounced email mod. Please!

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Suggested Hosts
Joe_Joe

Bounced email mod. Please!

Post by Joe_Joe »

This is for 3.0.x:

Is it possible to create a Mod that sends the moderators and Admin notification that there has been a bounced email. Hypotheticly I send a mass email. Some of my members have changed ISP's or lost their Yoohoo id for one reason or an other.

I get nothing that tells me there is a bounced email. It didn't happen in 2.0.0.x and it doesn't happen in 3.0.x Is there a Mod or way to correct this.

If there was a Mod for this, to be sure of notification, it would be an excellent way of banning script bots. Actually I don't care if their bots or not. No email address, their going they just don't know it yet.

Thank you.
JJ
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Bounced email mod. Please!

Post by Brf »

But phpBB is not bouncing the Emails, it is either your mail server or the recipient's mail server that is bouncing it.
Joe_Joe

Post by Joe_Joe »

Brf wrote:But phpBB is not bouncing the Emails, it is either your mail server or the recipient's mail server that is bouncing it.
You are 100% correct. But they are sent out by the software, (phpBB 3.0.x) So my question is, if they are sent from my board, if bounced why doesn't the board keep a record or notify me of bounced email.

Thank you
JJ
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

As I said, phpBB has no idea that the Emails are bouncing. How would it know?
Joe_Joe

Post by Joe_Joe »

Brf wrote:As I said, phpBB has no idea that the Emails are bouncing. How would it know?
How presumptuous of me to ask a question I have no knowledge of. I made an assumtion that because the software was sending the email it would somehow receive a notification. I appologize for not having that vast knowledge, I'll do my best not to make that mistake again.

JJ
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I already said:
Brf wrote:But phpBB is not bouncing the Emails, it is either your mail server or the recipient's mail server that is bouncing it.
It is you that is getting the Email notification. phpBB cannot read your email.
novice-1

Post by novice-1 »

The bounced email should be 'bounced' back to the email address it was sent from.

i.e. if your board is sending from send@bouncedemail.com then it should come back to send@bouncedemail.com email address. I would suggest setting up a POP mail account for returned emails. Do people email you at the same address you send from? You need to have an email address inbox the same as the one being mass emailed from.

The bounced emails will have the email address it's being bounced from then it's a case of using your ACP to find the member by putting in the email address bounced in a search of find member and then either delete, deactivate or find another address to email them.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”