adding cancel button

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Suggested Hosts
lovevoice

adding cancel button

Post by lovevoice »

hello every1
how can i add cancel button to " save , preview , submit " when i want to post a reply or i want to make a new post ?
thanks
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: adding cancel button

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

use the back button of your browser.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
lovevoice

Post by lovevoice »

thank you i know that but i want to add cancel button ;)
Lumpy Burgertushie

what is there to cancel?

if you change your mind about making the post, simply do not click the submit button and use your back button to return to the forum.

if you change your mind about what you want to say, highlight and delete the text you have typed.

I don't understand what a cancel button would do.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
bluespyy

Post by bluespyy »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:what is there to cancel?

if you change your mind about making the post, simply do not click the submit button and use your back button to return to the forum.

if you change your mind about what you want to say, highlight and delete the text you have typed.

I don't understand what a cancel button would do.

robert
When creating/editing posts, it helps to have a cancel button. For example, let's say I'm editing this topic. Since the preview button is there, I decided to do a preview. But it doesn't look good, so I want to return back to my topic and maybe continue reading the thread. Intuitively, people would want to "cancel" their edit. But, by your logic, we could just as well close and restart the web browser!

However, I would like to point out that there is a way around this. You could click on the "bread crumb" menu, or the "title" to navigate to the "right" place.
Lumpy Burgertushie

you also could simply hit the back button in your browser just like I said above.

I have never seen a "cancel" button in this type of situation. It simply is not needed and I bet most people would intuitively click the back button on the browser rather than look around for a cancel button.

luck,
robert

bluespyy

Post by bluespyy »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:you also could simply hit the back button in your browser just like I said above.

I have never seen a "cancel" button in this type of situation. It simply is not needed and I bet most people would intuitively click the back button on the browser rather than look around for a cancel button.
The reason why I reply to this is because there are situations where I think the where the "cancel button" seems like the way to go (although you're in such denial that you made 3 posts elaborating on the "back" button). But more importantly, I wanted people to know the "right" way to implement the "cancel button". We shouldn't use the "back" history (javascript/dhtml) as you suggested, but rather, link the "cancel button" to the actual post where the edit is made. BTW, you don't have to "look around for a cancel button" if it's right beside the submit button!

I've made an analogy of the situation is an earlier post but was rejected by the moderator. I shall attempt making it again here. Like you, Microsoft has been telling the world ever since the release of Vista that the "back" button is the new "up one level" button. That, to me (and all programmers alike) was a big joke! But those MS Certified Technicians/Engineers couldn't say anything that might jeopardize their careers and certifications, so they all just stick to their "play book" and relay the message out. Microsoft has been so effective, that now, even Linux (latest KDE) uses a similar interface right out of the box.

I got drafted off a little, but point is, we have come to a point where people don't speak up anymore. It's so full of crap on forums nowadays that people can't be bothered to reply. It seems like if you repeat something long enough, it becames a fact!
GoremanX

Post by GoremanX »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:you also could simply hit the back button in your browser just like I said above.

hmm, then perhaps you should look at other forum software. vBulletin has one, as do Agora and Kunena (Joomla forum components). Perhaps you don't see the usefulness of it, but to users who aren't browser-savvy (that's 90% of Internet users), the Cancel button is a necessary part of the browsing experience. I've already had a few users ask me about a Cancel button when editing a post, and telling them "You're so stupid, why don't you just hit the Back button?" doesn't seem like a terribly good idea.

If I press the "Edit" button, edit my post, and then click "Preview", I am presented with a preview of my changes. If I don't want to post those changes, I have to:

- click the "Back" button twice or
- click on any other link on the page except the Preview or Submit buttons

While both of those options work, neither of them is intuitive or user-friendly. A "Cancel" button is straightforward, obvious for everyone, and involves almost no effort to implement. It also stays in line with most operating system conventions.
slw1057

Post by slw1057 »

I agree that the back button is a viable option for the submit/preview screen.

however, i think a 'cancel edit' button would be a good addition when you are editing a post, preview that edit and then don't like how it looks. The cancel edit button would return you to the edit post window where you could continue your editing. Hitting the back button in this instance is workable but most people on our site like the idea of a button to cancel the edit.

I guess the option to add this as a mod would allow those users who wish to build a more user-friendly environment the ability to do so.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

GoremanX wrote:
If I press the "Edit" button, edit my post, and then click "Preview", I am presented with a preview of my changes. If I don't want to post those changes, I have to:

- click the "Back" button twice or
- click on any other link on the page except the Preview or Submit buttons
Absolutely incorrect. The text of your post is right under the preview, so you do not need to click anything. You just scroll down.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
GoremanX

Post by GoremanX »

stevemaury wrote:Absolutely incorrect. The text of your post is right under the preview, so you do not need to click anything. You just scroll down.
Oh I see, so your solution is that I have to re-edit my post back to its original state from memory, and then re-submit it as an edited post with no changes at all from the original? Yes, that much more intuitive than a Cancel button.

If a Cancel button was so "pointless":

- my users wouldn't be asking for one
- other forum software wouldn't have implemented one
- the forum.jooml.org phpBB implementation wouldn't have one.

I asked on the Joomla forum how they did it, and they don't remember :( It's been there too long. It works perfectly too, exactly how it needs to.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

You are putting words in my mouth. I expressed no opinion about the efficacy of a Cancel button. I merely pointed out that you do not have to click anything to go between a post's text and its preview.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
GoremanX

Post by GoremanX »

stevemaury wrote:You are putting words in my mouth. I expressed no opinion about the efficacy of a Cancel button. I merely pointed out that you do not have to click anything to go between a post's text and its preview.
You are putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about going between a post's text and its preview. I meant going from a preview back to the original topic with the intended changes "Canceled".

My apologies for assuming you were commenting on the validity of a "Cancel" button in this topic about "Cancel" buttons.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I realize this is an old post, but as the topic has been revived, I thought I'd reply.
bluespyy wrote:When creating/editing posts, it helps to have a cancel button. For example, let's say I'm editing this topic. Since the preview button is there, I decided to do a preview. But it doesn't look good, so I want to return back to my topic and maybe continue reading the thread. Intuitively, people would want to "cancel" their edit. But, by your logic, we could just as well close and restart the web browser!
Correct. If you've gone through a lot of edit/preview cycles trying to get the post just right, only to find somebody else posted something similar, the Back button wouldn't get you back to the topic you were in without a lot of clicking.
bluespyy wrote:However, I would like to point out that there is a way around this. You could click on the "bread crumb" menu, or the "title" to navigate to the "right" place.
Bread crumbs aren't the "right" way, either, as they take you to the forum, not the topic you were in. Even the topic title won't necessarily work in a multi-page topic -- it takes you to the first page of the topic, not the page you were on.

Ideally, a Cancel button would return you to the same topic page and post you were at before you tried to edit or post.

However, there is obviously no Cancel button in phpBB now, so I'm confused as to why this topic wasn't posted in the MODs or Style forums. It's clearly not a support topic.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
GoremanX

Post by GoremanX »

Pony99CA wrote:However, there is obviously no Cancel button in phpBB now, so I'm confused as to why this topic wasn't posted in the MODs or Style forums. It's clearly not a support topic.
I think it was meant as a feature request by the OP, and all subsequent replies just latched onto this thread since this is the first Google result for "phpbb cancel button"

As I mentioned above, forum.joomla.org uses phpBB3 and they have a Cancel button which works perfectly. It sends the user back to the topic/page he/she was viewing before he/she ever clicked the "Edit" or "New Topic" or "Post Reply" buttons. But when I asked about it, no-one had any clue when or how it got implemented :(

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”