adding cancel button

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: adding cancel button

Post by Pony99CA »

GoremanX wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:However, there is obviously no Cancel button in phpBB now, so I'm confused as to why this topic wasn't posted in the MODs or Style forums. It's clearly not a support topic.
I think it was meant as a feature request by the OP, and all subsequent replies just latched onto this thread since this is the first Google result for "phpbb cancel button"
I don't think it was meant as a feature request. When somebody asks "how can i add" something, they're either asking where in the UCP/MCP/ACP that can be done (a support question) or asking what code changes are required (a MOD or Style request). Given that it's pretty obvious that there's no such facility in the UCP/MCP/ACP, I felt that the request would be better placed in another forum.
GoremanX wrote:As I mentioned above, forum.joomla.org uses phpBB3 and they have a Cancel button which works perfectly. It sends the user back to the topic/page he/she was viewing before he/she ever clicked the "Edit" or "New Topic" or "Post Reply" buttons. But when I asked about it, no-one had any clue when or how it got implemented :(
Somebody could probably get their source code and reverse engineer it. It would obviously be easier the fewer MODs they have, but it could be done. Whether that would be easier than coming up with a MOD from scratch is another issue. :D

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
GoremanX

Post by GoremanX »

Pony99CA wrote:I don't think it was meant as a feature request. When somebody asks "how can i add" something, they're either asking where in the UCP/MCP/ACP that can be done (a support question) or asking what code changes are required (a MOD or Style request). Given that it's pretty obvious that there's no such facility in the UCP/MCP/ACP, I felt that the request would be better placed in another forum.
Yep, you're probably right. Bad OP! Someone should spank him! Like I said, I only added to the thread because it was the first thing that came up in Google, I didn't bother to check if the OP had placed it in the right section. I'll probably get around to asking about it in the right place eventually.
Pony99CA wrote:Somebody could probably get their source code and reverse engineer it. It would obviously be easier the fewer MODs they have, but it could be done. Whether that would be easier than coming up with a MOD from scratch is another issue. :D
They didn't seem terribly keen on helping me figure it out. For an open source project, Joomla can be rather tight-lipped sometimes. My guess is they paid to have it implemented.
4_seven
I've Been Banned!

Post by 4_seven »

simple thing

open

styles/prosilver/template/posting_editor.html

find

Code: Select all

<input type="submit" tabindex="5" name="preview" value="{L_PREVIEW}"
before add

Code: Select all

<input type="submit" accesskey="c" tabindex="9" name="cancel" value="{L_CANCEL}" class="button2" />
takes u to the last point u are, before u started the action..

demo
http://4seven.kilu.de/phpbb3/posting.ph ... &f=7&t=365
Current Mods | Mod Base | php(BB) programming | No help via PM
GoremanX

Post by GoremanX »

Hey sweet! That works perfectly, thanks!

...but you posted it in the wrong forum :P (kidding!)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

BTW, there is a Cancel button in subsilver2.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
bluespyy

Post by bluespyy »

Pony99CA wrote:
bluespyy wrote:However, I would like to point out that there is a way around this. You could click on the "bread crumb" menu, or the "title" to navigate to the "right" place.
Bread crumbs aren't the "right" way, either, as they take you to the forum, not the topic you were in. Even the topic title won't necessarily work in a multi-page topic -- it takes you to the first page of the topic, not the page you were on.
If you read further, I was alluding to this:
bluespyy wrote:But more importantly, I wanted people to know the "right" way to implement the "cancel button". We shouldn't use the "back" history (javascript/dhtml) ... but rather, link the "cancel button" to the actual post where the edit is made. ... don't have to "look around for a cancel button" if it's right beside the submit button!
I replied because I wanted people to know that it isn't hard to implement the "back button" themselves. Wasn't expecting such a huge debate over this. I wanted to provide a form of solution, instead of just avoiding or denying that the problem even existed, that we see around us ever so often.
4_seven
I've Been Banned!

Post by 4_seven »

stevemaury wrote:BTW, there is a Cancel button in subsilver2.
in subsilver2, yes..
bluespyy wrote: I wanted to provide a form of solution.
now the solution is there.
Current Mods | Mod Base | php(BB) programming | No help via PM
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

bluespyy wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
bluespyy wrote:However, I would like to point out that there is a way around this. You could click on the "bread crumb" menu, or the "title" to navigate to the "right" place.
Bread crumbs aren't the "right" way, either, as they take you to the forum, not the topic you were in. Even the topic title won't necessarily work in a multi-page topic -- it takes you to the first page of the topic, not the page you were on.
If you read further, I was alluding to this:
bluespyy wrote:But more importantly, I wanted people to know the "right" way to implement the "cancel button". We shouldn't use the "back" history (javascript/dhtml) ... but rather, link the "cancel button" to the actual post where the edit is made. ... don't have to "look around for a cancel button" if it's right beside the submit button!
I did read further (I generally read the entire topic before replying). I just didn't want people thinking that the post title or the bread crumbs were reasonable alternatives. You said that they would navigate to the "right" place, and they wouldn't.

By the way, you can't really allude in a past post to something you hadn't yet written until a later post. ;)
bluespyy wrote:I replied because I wanted people to know that it isn't hard to implement the "back button" themselves. Wasn't expecting such a huge debate over this. I wanted to provide a form of solution, instead of just avoiding or denying that the problem even existed, that we see around us ever so often.
I agree that the problem existed. I just didn't think your earlier suggestions solved it, either.

Fortunately, thanks to 4_seven, it appears that we now have a very simple solution and you were correct that it wasn't hard.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”