Organizing fake users

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
backpac2

Organizing fake users

Post by backpac2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:53 am

I am looking for a mod that adds fake users to the forum to make your forum appear busier. The goal is to let a new phpBB forum growing faster.
Since every user needs to have a different E-Mail address, it is a lot of work to register every fake user manually.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Organizing fake users

Post by KevC » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:58 am

That's a very false economy. People don't join because you have 500 users. They join because there are topics, posts and things to chat about. You'll also get rumbled immediately if you have a lot more users than posts.

You could just turn off your spam protection. The bots will sign up within days. Just stop them all posting.

There's a long topic in General Discussion about how to attract members.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

backpac2

Post by backpac2 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 am

Kevin Clark wrote:That's a very false economy. People don't join because you have 500 users.
That's right, people don't join because there are a lot of users. People join and post because others are posting. If you do not have any members, especially a few that are posting then no one visiting will see it as much of an opportunity. That is discussed in http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9&start=60, and there are different opinions about what's the best way to grow a community. Anyway, that is not what I want to discuss in this thread. I was just asking if such a mod exists.

noth

Post by noth » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:47 am

Patrick ( http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ ) has written a book on forums administrators and discusses fake members in his book

come to think of it I think I saw the mod somewhere

worth looking on his site (above) if you are determined

I have a couple of forums going where I have 1 member (me) and I have put on masses of topics but no good

give it a year

if nothing you might as well bite the bullet and delete ;)

Censored

Post by Censored » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Fake users are only usable for testing pruposes.
One, may be two, should be enough.

More than that is lying. :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”