Blocking Proxies From Registering

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
lolbrandy

Blocking Proxies From Registering

Post by lolbrandy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:51 am

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it seems like it may be the one I'm looking for. :shock:

Anyways, there's someone who keeps signing up to our site using proxies. The latest has been proxies from newipnow.com which I blocked all the IPs from their list. He's stealing info from our site and creating a site JUST like it.. basically copying and pasting things we have wrote and editing one or two words. (Btw, our site is copyrighted.) He's made two sites within the past year or so which he ended up shutting down. Now he has a new one and claims there's another one being made. He also created a logo for his current site that looks very similar to ours. Apparently he hasn't given up yet. He claims he's not copying, yet it's blatantly obvious.

I'm just one of the admins on there, not the owner, but I was wondering if there was a way to block proxies from registering to our site. He's made three accounts within the past week.

Comkid

Re: Blocking Proxies From Registering

Post by Comkid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:50 am

Not really possible, unless you disallow email reuse and Admin Activation for all new registrations or disable registrations fully, because there are a lot of proxies, and you couldn't possibly block them all.
I ist Comkid :P

onehundredandtwo

Re: Blocking Proxies From Registering

Post by onehundredandtwo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 am

I wouldn't go blocking IP addresses. Hundreds of new proxies are created every single day.

You could try googling it to see if you can find any answers. There was also a topic about it here - 3Di has a Troll MOD on his website based on eviL<3's Troll MOD.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”