Restrict user IF a custom profile field..

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
JustAnotherMan

Restrict user IF a custom profile field..

Post by JustAnotherMan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:27 am

Hello.
Have seen a few common answers in my custom profile fields when spam bots registering.

Looked in the forum here, and saw that deleting an user without doing it via an ACP-Mod is not the right way to do it, lots of places in DB there will be traces.

Is there an "easy way" to disable an user that have inserted a specific value in a custom proflie field?
-Maybe assign the user to a usergroup for spammers with no rights at all, if users custom profile field"xx" = "yy".
-Maybe prevent sending activation-mail, if users custom profile field "xx" = "yy".

Have looked trough the code, and it's way over my head to "hook" in a thing like this.
Don't want to put my "potential real" signup's in quarantine or restricted account..

Any exisitig mods, or code sample?

surfer247
Name: Todd

Re: Restrict user IF a custom profile field..

Post by surfer247 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:45 pm

I believe there is a modification that allows a user to add themselves to a group. If you gave the regular registered user no rights and then gave a group called "Real Registered Users" all the rights of a normal registered user, you could prevent the spam bots from posting.

Similar topic
Modification Page
Come visit me at Toddred.com!

JustAnotherMan

Post by JustAnotherMan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Thank you Surfer247..
Will dig in! :D

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:55 am

Not sure why you would be just looking to disable spammers or move them to a specific group after they join. I would suggest that less effort, for greater effect, would be better spent in taking a few steps to stop them from joining in the first place.

Have a look at this Knowledge Base Article, Custom Profile Fields as an Anti-Spammer Tool it will probably answer your questions regarding custom profile fields.

The new CAPTCHA modules in phpBB, since version 3.0.6, are much better at preventing spammers as well. If you haven't updated I suggest you update your forum to version 3.0.7-PL1 as soon as possible. That combined with one or more properly set up custom profile fields will eliminate virtually all spam bots and most of the human spammers as well.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

JustAnotherMan

Post by JustAnotherMan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Thank you Oyabun1 :)

Have seen the KB on Custom Profile Fields.
The goal is to just prevent the known spammers access to make a post in forum, and make less hassle for the normal signups.
This is a way i only use what i have to day regarding custom fields, not a house full of pad locks.
CAPTCHA is normally good enough, but it it will be broken as soon "they" also upgrade or update their software.

A small patch in user_registration_code to look for the "bad words" in the "custom profile fields", and "pretend" that all is OK and no feedbacks to the bot, -is the way to go. -Let it wait forever to get the activation-mail.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”