[REQUEST] Facebook Connect - phpBB3 bridge MOD

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
indiabands

Re: [REQUEST] Facebook Connect - phpBB3 bridge MOD

Post by indiabands » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Someone has been able to do it perfectly - http://www.fieldmedics.com/forum/

No clue how though :?:

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 pm

The connect mod will become an RC soon.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2097905

1: Manage to register people, without having to go through the default registering process.
2: The ability to stay "anonymous" - (i.e. The user gets an option to choose another nickname/and avatar)
4: Log in and out, with the facebook button (or a custom made button)

Done.

3: the amount of information shared is done by facebook, but It would be handy to be able to choose that from the ACP as well.
I'm not importing users about, interests, website, etc. In the basic hook, we're taking users name, email, uid, timezone etc

5: The ability to share posts/threds/images to your wall in Facebook.
6: Have the option "Like" on each thred/post

This is done through readily available plugins. Not really an api mod. This is as easy as pasting them into your templates. For individual post like buttons, you can hardcode the url of the like button with values already available to the template.

7: Invite and recomend friends through the UCP
This is a touchy one. I'll be writing this as an extension from the base hook, but don't know if I'll make it public. People are getting really sick of app spamming, and if I recall correctly I believe these invitations are supposed to go into the application dashboard now.

8: And last add the option to view Analytics. (to track your traffic. )
Facebook provides an analytics screen for all fb apps.

9: A nice ACP/UCP interface with a lot of easy settings!!!! for both users, and the admin.
Don't think comment is even necessary here.

bsides

Post by bsides » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Any news about this?

PinoySpidey

Post by PinoySpidey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:02 pm

bsides wrote:Any news about this?
Same question.

casimer

Post by casimer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:52 pm

ditto

Is there anything available for FB integration? Every example that I've come across is either broken, too insecure, or abandoned w/ no code available.

bsides

Post by bsides » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm willing to give this a try (to make one myself) but I'd like to know if there's any other person doing this right now so I wouldn't be starting something already started - meaning, with the new FB API, not the old MOD's that use old/broken stuff.

If this isn't answered in a week I will check it back to start developing. I guess a lot of people would like this.

Ozo

Post by Ozo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 am

The person 4 posts above you had something really nice going. unfortunately, his site disappeared and so did he and his MOD :roll:

So no, phpbb community at the moment has nothing that connects us to our forums using FB with the newest API. :)

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 pm

New job, over worked, long commute.... no time :(
I haven't even been on these forums in.... awhile lol.
But, that's changing in a few weeks here. Work/support for my connect hook will resume shortly.

PinoySpidey

Post by PinoySpidey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 am

Skinny Vinny wrote:New job, over worked, long commute.... no time :(
But, that's changing in a few weeks here. Work/support for my connect hook will resume shortly.
go! go! go! 8-)

Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:58 am

Skinny Vinny wrote:New job, over worked, long commute.... no time :(
glad to hear you'll be working on it again i love the mod

webgirly

Post by webgirly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25 pm

I've seen forums that have done this successfully (the Mafia Wars game application has a phpbb that has acheived this) but couldn't figure out how to do this myself.

I've actually begun trawling around for developers for hire to do it for me!

A MOD would be very welcome :) *subscribe*

Artistix

Post by Artistix » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:10 pm

...anyone heard any good news?

radiantx2

Post by radiantx2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:47 am

Yes, this mod is a MUST in this Facebook age. Even vBulletin includes the facebook login option with its default download package.

The average computer user uses facebook rather than email or instant messengers now - just one login/password to remember and just about everyone has a fb account.

Most commercial websites including bing & yahoo have facebook connect as a login option, I'm very surprised phpbb is that far out of the loop!

bsides

Post by bsides » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 am

radiantx2 wrote:Yes, this mod is a MUST in this Facebook age. Even vBulletin includes the facebook login option with its default download package.

The average computer user uses facebook rather than email or instant messengers now - just one login/password to remember and just about everyone has a fb account.

Most commercial websites including bing & yahoo have facebook connect as a login option, I'm very surprised phpbb is that far out of the loop!
Totally agree.

1 year ago was a hype. Now, websites without facebook connection smells really old.

DBM

Post by DBM » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 am

webgirly wrote:I've seen forums that have done this successfully (the Mafia Wars game application has a phpbb that has acheived this) but couldn't figure out how to do this myself.
It's a vBulletin board, if you're talking about the official Zynga one. vBulletin users have had the Facebook Connect facility for a couple of years now - it's easier for a commercial application with paid staff to work on development rather than unpaid volunteers doing it all in their spare time to get things like this done.

I have a developer friend who is having a bash at creating such an interface for my own website - but it's the same story as every other developer on here, every time he thinks he can get down to it, work gets in the way. :(

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”