[REQ] Disallow email domains during registration

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
ClubCalibra

[REQ] Disallow email domains during registration

Post by ClubCalibra »

Hi

having a real issue with a pest on my forums right now - he's using free email accounts to register and proxies to get round the banning he's had.

This has been going on for about 4 years now .. and he's determined to get on.

I've banned every IP, set admin activation - but because of the proxies and hotmail accounts he's using its difficult to identify real users.

What I wish to do is have the registraion form check the email domain and prevent registration from domains I specify, and to show an alert to advise this if they attempt to do so. I've checked on this site and cannot find something that won't ban the domains completely

I do not wish to ban the domains completely as I have a userbase of 6000+ existing users and it would be a mammoth task to prevent any existing users from being banned as a result of banning the domains.

If someone can help .. or direct me to an existing modification it would be much appreciated.

thanks
onehundredandtwo

Re: [REQ] Disallow email domains during registration

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Banning the email address *@example.com will disallow the email domain example.com being used for registration and changes in the UCP.

It will not, however, ban any users that already have an email address at example.com.

If you're having problems with trolls, you may want to read a few of these topics:
Is there a mod for persistent trolls?
Permanently Banning Mental Users
[Alpha] Troll MOD (Alpha 2)
Problem with a user..
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above
ClubCalibra

Post by ClubCalibra »

Thats great thankyou

I didn't realise that existing users would be ok.

thankyou for the reading topics, I'll be reading will interest - this guy reckons he's going to bring the forum down on his own... and he's seriously unstable
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

ClubCalibra wrote:this guy reckons he's going to bring the forum down on his own... and he's seriously unstable
Good luck - and don't let him get to you. :)
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”