Quote Notification

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
Reed!

Quote Notification

Post by Reed! »

So this person i know had a really nice quote notification system set up on his site. I emailed him asking him if he could share the codes, but he said he built it in an early beta version of phpbb3 and was a pretty huge mess to rig it into the final version of it.

However told me the basics of how it works:
Here's what I recommend if you're going to do it yourself:
-Set up a table for quotes. This will include a quote ID, post ID where the quote is, topic ID where the post is, user quoted, and user who did the quoting.
-Add a unread_quotes column to the user table. Make this increase when a user is quoted and decrease when the user reads that post.
-When a post is created, do some fancy regex scraping for

Code: Select all

[quote="{USERNAME}"]
and load that info into a new row in the quotes table.
-When a post is edited, make sure no quotes have been deleted or added.

I can give you more help if you need it.
Heres what it looked like:
When you were quoted, the little quote icon (to the left of "welcome, reed" on the top right) would light up, then when you clicked it, it would take you to this page, which almost looks like a separate PM inbox with quotes instead of pm's.

I know a bit about how the coding works, just not enough to do what his instructions are implying. Would anyone be able to help me out with this? I think its an amazing feature to have on a forum and figuring this out could be extremely beneficial.
Lastpost

Re: Quote Notification

Post by Lastpost »

Nice idea, I have to say.
Just a reply to follow the thread.
Reed!

Post by Reed! »

Anyone?

Even if you can just a little input that would be greatly appreciated. :)
Reed!

Post by Reed! »

Last effort bump? :cry:
Last edited by Reed! on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

• The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Reed!

Post by Reed! »

AmigoJack wrote:Cross-linking
I did see that thread, but who quoted me isnt what I'm looking for.

I want to find a way to create this exact mod (more or less) that I mentioned in the OP. I dont necessarily need anyone to completely build it for me, I just dont know mysql enough to have the slightest idea on how to do what was mentioned.

If anyone knows how to accomplish this mod it would be a huge help if you could at least give me a little insight on what needs to be done and what I need to know so I can start tinkering around on figuring it out myself. :)
Yosiah

Post by Yosiah »

Bump for interest.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to help build something like this yet, but I would love to have this MOD as well. I've tried the other "who quoted me" MOD, but it's essentially just a search for the user's name and the word "quote", and the results are displayed as a messy list of posts. Far from the inbox style list of quoted posts that a MOD like this would offer.

Hopefully someone can help out with this because it'd be a great MOD.
bikempire

Post by bikempire »

Well, this is an absolutely necessary mod for phpbb, other better forum systems has it included and we need it! It's a pity nobody has decided to develop it!
Hall10

Post by Hall10 »

agreed that this is absolutly necessary.

the only way that this works is via tapatalk notifications
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Guys, 3.1.0 is already coming with a solution, check https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/ucp.php? ... on_options
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”