looking for a registration mod that will block human spammer

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
walkerp

looking for a registration mod that will block human spammer

Post by walkerp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 pm

This mod may already existed, but everything we've searched for has only turned up mods that ask questions that check against existing answers. We are a small enough community that an admin can handle each request. So what I'm looking for is a mod that asks a first-time register a human question and then sends the contents of the answer field to the admin, who will then read it and decide whether or not to approve the applicant.

We are finding that more and more of our spam registrants are actually real people, so they are able to answer questions with hard-coded answers like "Who is Luke Skywalker's father".

Does such a mod exist? Thanks!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: looking for a registration mod that will block human spa

Post by KevC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 pm

The problem with that type of question is that it can be googled to get the answer, which is how the bots get in.

You need to ask something that can't be, such as asking them to enter the first name of Luke Skywalker or the first 3 letters of his surname. Something like that.

There is a double activation MOD that might do what you want (I haven't read the full list of features)
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/a ... ation_pack
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

walkerp

Post by walkerp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:40 pm

But humans can still answer those kinds of questions. We are getting spammers that appear to be people hired in eastern Europe or China who just go from forum to forum, sign up, post something that is vaguely relevant to the topic at hand with links to pharmaceuticals and other sales websites in their sigs. Are others not seeing this?

I'll follow up on that link you posted. Thanks!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Human spammers sign up just like genuine members do.

Paid spammers are actually quite rare.

I have a good Q&A question and admin account activation. I just do a quick whois on the registration IP. If it's from any of the usual suspects like China or Russia I just don't activate the account.

You could also utilise the newly registered users group by setting the registration new member post limit to 1.
That means the first post of every member has to be approved before they can post freely (we do that on here). Spammers give themselves away in the first post they make.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

durangod

Post by durangod » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:33 pm

i dont remember the site but i found it thru google awhile back, if gives a listing of all counties ip addresses so you can block them thru your htaccess to block ip's from those countries. The down side is that they can use ip mirrors to get around that, but it does block the novices who do not use mirrors so that might help you some.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:19 am

Maybe this will be a solution, Activation Justification.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”