Moderation tool: Invisible/Visible posts

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
jim 777
Name: Jim

Re: Moderation tool: Invisible/Visible posts

Post by jim 777 »

Pony99CA wrote:
jim 777 wrote:Do we need any new permissions (like Can unapprove posts or Can edit posts in moderation queue)? (Again, more work.) I don't use the mod que so it wouldn't make a difference IMO
If I implemented this, you'd have to use the Moderator queue/MCP to re-approve posts, I think.

Steve
Maybe it's my lack of knowledge around the MCP, but I thought we were talking about just a new option under the options tab when you go to edit of someone's post. In the list of "disable smileys" "lock topic" etc.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

No. You would have to do this via mcp.php or viewtopic.php (either by way of the MCP or the list of dropdown options presented to moderators). That requires a "m_" permission, otherwise average user joe could make their post visible (thus nullifying the need for the MOD, because no check could be done that the user actually changed the post text).
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
JHochstuhl

Post by JHochstuhl »

Just curious, are we going anywhere with this?
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

I haven't had time to look into this yet. This weekend doesn't look promising, either. Besides some important personal stuff, I have to upgrade to 3.0.9.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
toxa_man

Post by toxa_man »

Since nobody have time to develop this now, can anybody tell me if there is other board (open source or proprietary) with this feature?

Thanks in advance!
JHochstuhl

Post by JHochstuhl »

Well, I would encourage you to have patience, but barring that I know IPB has this feature, and I am told that vBulletin also does.

This I can say. If you are already using phpBB3, you are already on one of the best forum-wares that loans itself to fairly easy customization.

Best of luck
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

toxa_man wrote:Since nobody have time to develop this now, can anybody tell me if there is other board (open source or proprietary) with this feature?
I haven't seen people beating my doors down for this, so I haven't pursued it. Counting you, there are now three people here who want this feature.

I'm sure that I could knock out a simple version in a day or so, but then I suspect other people would want more features or other changes. :D

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
toxa_man

Post by toxa_man »

Well I, for one, would be very very happy if you come out with something, even if very simple (somebody else can add bells and whistles later). Picture this in one of those motivational posters :mrgreen:

Following JHochstuhl's suggestions, I checked IPB and vBulletin. None have this feature by default, and the only MOD I found for vBulletin is actually a BB code that hides the content between tags (example: [HIDE]information[/HIDE]), but not the post itself...

Steve / Pony99CA, thanks in advance in case you get your hands here!
toxa_man

Post by toxa_man »

Adding my personal perspective:

For MY usage, ideally this feature should be tied to a specific group, not necessarily the moderators. So members of group "Trusted" would have the ability to have these semi-private conversations going on inside a thread, while non-members of the group will see just the "visible to all" posts.
If this complicates things too much, I can just make all members of "Trusted" moderators, but this is not the ideal.

Members of "Trusted" would have the ability to post already hidden, instead of posting visible to all and just then hiding it. For example, if I want to comment "what he just wrote seems bs", I don't wanna risk having this post visible to all not even for a few seconds (already tried using Private Messages for such things, but is not practical at all).

Post count - if not visible to all, should not count;

If first post of the thread - IMO should not show the thread, but I can live with that;

Pitfalls:
Last post by / See all posts by / Search / etc - Moderators (or members of the "Trusted" group if you choose this path) would see this info based on all posts, while all other users would see based on "visible to all" posts. This impacts the sort order as well.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

toxa_man wrote:Adding my personal perspective:

For MY usage, ideally this feature should be tied to a specific group, not necessarily the moderators. So members of group "Trusted" would have the ability to have these semi-private conversations going on inside a thread, while non-members of the group will see just the "visible to all" posts.
If this complicates things too much, I can just make all members of "Trusted" moderators, but this is not the ideal.
You're asking for what I've seen called "whisper mode" in online chats (where one person can "whisper" to another). That's not at all what I was thinking of -- invisible posts would just be unapproved, and only a moderator could approve them. In other words, it's a moderating tool, not a separate mode of communication.

Do the other people who want invisible posts view it as a moderating tool or something else? (Given the topic's title, I'm guessing the former.)

For whisper mode, you might want to check the Adaptive HIDE BBCodes MOD.

Steve
JHochstuhl

Post by JHochstuhl »

I am here for a moderating tool
haggisv

Post by haggisv »

Yes I'd like to see it as a moderator tool. I've also used it on another forum, and it's very useful!
toxa_man

Post by toxa_man »

It seems I'm all alone here :cry:

The "Adaptive HIDE BBCodes MOD" doesn't suit me because the other users will see the post anyway (albeit empty). Thanks anyway for trying to help.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

toxa_man wrote:The "Adaptive HIDE BBCodes MOD" doesn't suit me because the other users will see the post anyway (albeit empty).
You're thinking about it the wrong way. ;) You'd post a regular comment and then use the HIDE tag to say "The OP is full crap." So there wouldn't be any empty post, just a normal post with extra content for those in the same group. As a bonus, post counts aren't an issue doing it that way.

The biggest problem I have with that MOD is that it uses group numbers for the advanced features, but it takes a litttle work for users to see their group number(s) -- and there may not be a way to find group numbers for groups that you're not a member of.

Anyway, that's getting off of the topic at hand; I just wanted to try to suggest something for your situation. If you want something else, you might want to consider a MOD request.

Steve
TopHouse

Post by TopHouse »

Raising my hand as another supporter of this mod, it would be a very useful tool and I for one would certainly use it.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”