How to display Facebook thumbnail

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
AussieFishKeeping

How to display Facebook thumbnail

Post by AussieFishKeeping »

Hey,

When i post my link on Facebook the thumbnail image wont show. Is there a code i can put somewhere that will grab the image?

Cheers.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: How to display Facebook thumbnail

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Perhaps you are better off asking facebook? We don't have access to their systems nor know how it works so we really can't advice you on this matter.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

AussieFishKeeping wrote: When i post my link on Facebook the thumbnail image wont show. Is there a code i can put somewhere that will grab the image?
Your question is very unclear (especially as I don't use Facebook). If you mean that putitng a link to your board on Facebook doesn't display the board's favorite icon (like in your browser's Favorites/Bookmarks menu or on tabs when the site is open), there are two ways to get that.

One is having a file called favicon.ico in your directory; the other is by having the following code in your site's HEAD element:

Code: Select all

<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" type="images/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
If the first doesn't work, try the second.

If "thumbnail" means something else, you'll have to explain better (or even post a screen capture of a link with the icon and yours without the icon).

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

Read the Facebook Docs. ;)

Especially the part that refers to

Code: Select all

<meta property="og:image" content="thumbnail_image" />
Facebook Docs wrote:The og:image is the URL to the image that appears in the Feed story. The thumbnail's width AND height must be at least 50 pixels, and cannot exceed 130x110 pixels. The ratio of both height divided by width and width divided by height (w/h, h/w) cannot exceed 3.0. For example, an image of 126x39 pixels will not be displayed, as the ratio of width divided by height is greater than 3.0 (126/39 = 3.23). Images will be resized proportionally.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.

adamscott
I've Been Banned!

Post by adamscott »

Facebook profile photos on display are different. It is usually a person's profile page on a small news source page.Therefore, the personal data page and a half body shot will only display the upper part of the news feeds. Headlines to see the image, you are called thumbnails.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”