Page 1 of 2

Search in ACP

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:37 am
by Renji
I don't know if I am correct but if there is not mod for ACP Search like live IP Board then can anyone make one for me?

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 am
by Oyabun1
A search to do what exactly?

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:58 am
by Renji
It will work like a live search. Say if a newbie installs phpBB and he/she wants something to change and he/she some settings like smtp or server settings then could just type "server" and the it will show results... Hope you get my point. ;)

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:31 am
by AmigoJack
I get your point but it's highly unlikely such a MOD will ever exist. The problem here is that captions can't be searched (also not in the UCP, MCP or the board itself), because they're rendered dynamically when either evaluating the templates or when populating those with data. You have more chances by CTRL+Fing the documentation.

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 am
by Renji
Ok, But then how did IP Board guys did it? I am newbie.

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:34 pm
by Erik Frèrejean
Renji wrote:Ok, But then how did IP Board guys did it? I am newbie.
Probably best to ask them? ;).

Something like that isn't impossible to build but you need to account for that when designing the system.

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 pm
by Renji
Then why dont you guys implement it by default? It will be great and I bet all the guys will use phpBB rather using costly old boards (sorry for that, I have experienced their super bad support).

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:30 pm
by Erik Frèrejean
Renji wrote:Then why dont you guys implement it by default?
Pretty much because you are the first one I see posting about such a feature ;). And we don't include features because `xyz` has it. The devs work with limited time and therefore can better use their time to write features that the community at large wants.
You are however free to write an RFC for phpBB 3.2.x so this feature can be discussed and potentially included in 3.2.x (3.0.x is in maintenance mode and 3.1.x is feature frozen).

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:01 pm
by Renji
Can you explain me a bit please? I am interested in whatever you said :lol:

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:10 pm
by AmigoJack
Renji wrote:how did IP Board guys did it?
Invision Power Services did this by simply giving all their settings keywords (or not) - you can see it by looking at doSearchRequest() in /admin/applications/core/modules_admin/ajax/livesearch.php (based on v3.2.0). These are in English and arbitrary. The concept having a search box which searches everything (not specifically posts or member data or group data) however has its advantages.

If implementing this into phpBB the hardest part would be a useful output of search results, as they can differ a lot in their format. As for searching specific setting/option/info captions I discourage to follow IPBoard's approach. An interesting and challenging engine should be able to associate the lang definitions along with the templates and their corresponding source/display/module files. That's stuff to put my teeth into... :)

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:18 pm
by Renji
Look I am not here to compare other forum softwares, But many people use IP Board just becoz it has search rather than vBulletin just becoz of search! Maybe you might be right, But I guess this is must feature or mod. Why not ask the developers to keep poll on this?

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:26 pm
by Erik Frèrejean
Renji wrote:Can you explain me a bit please? I am interested in whatever you said :lol:
What do you need explained?
If you don't know what a RFC is, have a look at the other topics in the forum I linked you to. Or have a look at this. Keep in mind that posting "I want feature `xyz` (or something to that extend)" won't get you far.

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm
by Renji
Sure what about "1 Feature and 1 million user" title ? :p

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:21 pm
by AmigoJack
Providing something which millions do use doesn't automatically make it safe or future-proof or actually an improvement. I'm glad those millions still go and spend their money on less robust software while preferring form over function, instead of actually learning hows and whys and possibilities and limits of an architecture.
(unknown) wrote:Das beste am Kackhaufen sind die Millionen Fliegen, die sich draufstürzen
(Best thing about a steaming pile are the millions of flies which fall on it)
phpBB is a good example: RFCs are set up, get discussed, ideas get combined, experiences get exchanged and pros and cons will come up. An in-depth analyzation process which will surely filter misconcepts and fast decisions.

Erik wanted to say that the more details and the more precision you're giving, the higher are chances we understand what you want and will develop at least a MOD for it. Explain it as if nobody of us has ever seen an IPBoard (not to speak of its admin CP). You didn't even provide any screenshot, but 3 would be helpful: how the "live search" does look like, how search results do look like and how the actual destination of a search result looks like. Always remember: in your head it all makes sense, but everybody else is outside of it. ;)

Re: Search in ACP

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm
by Renji
AmigoJack wrote:Providing something which millions do use doesn't automatically make it safe or future-proof or actually an improvement. I'm glad those millions still go and spend their money on less robust software while preferring form over function, instead of actually learning hows and whys and possibilities and limits of an architecture.
(unknown) wrote:Das beste am Kackhaufen sind die Millionen Fliegen, die sich draufstürzen
(Best thing about a steaming pile are the millions of flies which fall on it)
phpBB is a good example: RFCs are set up, get discussed, ideas get combined, experiences get exchanged and pros and cons will come up. An in-depth analyzation process which will surely filter misconcepts and fast decisions.

Erik wanted to say that the more details and the more precision you're giving, the higher are chances we understand what you want and will develop at least a MOD for it. Explain it as if nobody of us has ever seen an IPBoard (not to speak of its admin CP). You didn't even provide any screenshot, but 3 would be helpful: how the "live search" does look like, how search results do look like and how the actual destination of a search result looks like. Always remember: in your head it all makes sense, but everybody else is outside of it. ;)
Ohk, Thanks for explanation
Can I use this as my signature ?
Always remember: in your head it all makes sense, but everybody else is outside of it. ;)