Any updated event calendars out there?

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
maloxan

Any updated event calendars out there?

Post by maloxan »

Hello

I'm seeking an updated event calendar for phpbb3. I've been looking in the mod section, but can't seem to find any updated ones. My HP is for upcoming bands, so reg. users should be able to create events on they're own aswell.

If anybody know one, could you please link it?
Thanks a lot, I always appreciate your guys help

Portos Du Val

Re: Any updated event calendars out there?

Post by Portos Du Val »

Hello

First I thought, "ah again someone that posted before searching" but now after 2 hours of browsing I feel :oops: - you are totally right. It seems that there is currently no supported calendar mod anymore let alone an "out of the box" calendar mod available for phpbb3 boards.

:cry:

There is a widely used old mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=666195
but phpbb officially discourages normal users from using it http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... p=13136840

There is a kind of add-on being developped but that does not really integrate in phpbb: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2149653

In the same line you have Google with his calendar and other big players that offer to embed their calendar on a website but those obviously don't integrate in phpbb and you need to enter e.g. all birthdays anew in those calendars and also find a way to present them / integrate them in the design.

It is quite unfortunate that phpbb itself does not offer what I had considered as a standard feature of a board. It might be in some cases enough to just chat, but finding dates and making appointments is quite a commonly needed feature in communities. Funny that there is a calendar for birthdays, but no user interface. Creating that bridge seems to be not an easy job for an external guy, as he has to keep up with every phpbb change because of the symbiotic character of a calendar mod.

So I suppose that's the reason why there is no calendar available for phpbb anymore.
Those that were offering mods have retired and the pros around here know how to fix and adapt the fragments they left behind. You can give it a try yourself by reading the 100 pages you will find following the above link to the alightner calendar and googling for further help and last but not least doing a php crashcourse wouldn't hurt either...

But for the rest of us I guess that means: let's forget the calendar or use another board or cms...

the pips

Post by the pips »

I've been in communication with Alightner about the calendar mod and agreed my taking it over. I use a very heavily modded version of an old version so I'm reasonably familiar with how it's constructed.

I'm looking at merging the two streams back again. The big advantage is that I can use the important tables from the Alightner version so it would be just a matter of installing a new version.
or maybe I should consider starting again. I have this idea that the calendar event should be just another topic. That way you've got the full power of the phpBB forum behind it. I've been experimenting with this technique for a shopping cart and it works pretty well.

Regards
Doug

Rannd

Post by Rannd »

the pips wrote:I have this idea that the calendar event should be just another topic. That way you've got the full power of the phpBB forum behind it.
I would love to add this to my phpBB3 board. Any more details?

the pips

Post by the pips »

Well, I've given it a lot of thought and I decided that I'm going to try and rewrite the Alightner calendar mod as an extension of a post. Doing it that way means that all of the phpBB features and any mods for posts should work in conjuction with the calendar. I've done a quick mashup on my dev system and the results are very encouraging.

I'd like to be able to provide multiple calendars, as each of them would be a separate forum that should be quite straightforward. Because it's using the topic for each event creating, viewing, responding to and editing events is controlled by the forum permissions.

I'll be keeping as much as I can of the Alightner mod's structure so providing an upgrade path shouldn't be too tricky either.

It's probably better if I start a new thread in Mods in Development for this.

Regards
Doug

Jump1979man

Post by Jump1979man »

Ive searched and searched...as you can see by me resurrecting this old thread.

Is there any calendar mods out there yet and why is this not standard?
Omaha Speed

Delivering race fuel for your mind!

http://www.OmahaSpeed.com

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

there is an abandones calendar MOD that can work with a bit of tweaking. however, you would be on your own with it.

the reason it is not standard and the reason there is not much work on a MOD is because not many people find that they need a calendar in a bulletin board.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Jump1979man

Post by Jump1979man »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:there is an abandones calendar MOD that can work with a bit of tweaking. however, you would be on your own with it.

the reason it is not standard and the reason there is not much work on a MOD is because not many people find that they need a calendar in a bulletin board.

robert
Thanks for the info. I hope someone decides to create one.
Omaha Speed

Delivering race fuel for your mind!

http://www.OmahaSpeed.com

offroadohio
Name: Donnie

Post by offroadohio »

Really wish someone would develop one for 3.0.12

Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

the pips wrote:I have this idea that the calendar event should be just another topic. That way you've got the full power of the phpBB forum behind it. I've been experimenting with this technique for a shopping cart and it works pretty well.

Regards
Doug
This and ical (google calendar) integration would be sooooo awesome. Shame the pips vanished from the topic. :(
I think Ill poke him. ;)

Edit:
Subject: [DEV] Calendar Mod (inspired by Alightner)

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Write in area51 forum if to add some kind feature in new version :)

Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

Darkness_demoN wrote:Write in area51 forum if to add some kind feature in new version :)
Imo, feature request shouldn't be posted in Area51. Only in phpBB Ideas or here in mod requests.

Geepers
Name: Glenn

Post by Geepers »

Shame about the calendars.
I was just looking for how to fix an error on my old PhpBB Calendar about the time zones?
Never did get it quite how I would have liked, and I guess with 3.1 coming up, that'll be the end of it.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Geepers wrote:I guess with 3.1 coming up
It's been out for 16 weeks and is already up to version 3.1.3.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Geepers
Name: Glenn

Post by Geepers »

I only meant 3.1 in general terms. I'm still on 3.0.12 until my style gets an upgrade to be able to use 3.1.*

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”