auto resizing avatar pictures

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
yangola21

auto resizing avatar pictures

Post by yangola21 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi! Complete newbie here! Need expert help from the all knowing group.

I am having members complain that the system says (below) when they try to upload an avatar. Lots of my members are not computer savvy. Is there anyway for me to have the system auto-resize thier avatar when they upload it to my server? There is a mod here called 0.04b, I tried it but it does not upload to my automod... any advice?? TIA!

The submitted avatar is 590 pixels wide and 392 pixels high. Avatars must be at least 20 pixels wide and 20 pixels high, but no larger than 150 pixels wide and 150 pixels high.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: auto resizing avatar pictures

Post by KevC » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:33 pm

It's not hard to resize images themselves.
There are lots of websites that do it for you in a couple of clicks with no computer knowledge needed at all.
http://www.resizeyourimage.com/

You don't really want an avatar resizer. The server load would be very large if you consider several images on every page all being resized on the fly.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:31 am

I don't think the OP is asking to resize avatars every time they are displayed. I believe they are asking to resize an avatar when it is uploaded. Unless the board is getting thousands of requests per day to upload avatars, there isn't much overhead in doing so.

To the OP: if that's the case, then YES, avatar resizing can be done with a modification to the avatar_upload() function in the includes/functions_user.php file.

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:22 am

did you try use java script or you need mod for that

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”