Showing an external feed

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
the_green_gh0st

Showing an external feed

Post by the_green_gh0st »

I am running a gaming forum, and would like to post feeds to various gaming related blogs and news sites. I cannot seem to find an appropriate mod to do so (tons of mods to convert forums into feeds, however). I was wondering if anyone knew of one or a few I could pick from. Thanks!
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Re: Showing an external feed

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you can explain a little more about what you want the feeds to do, where to be placed etc. we will be able to help you further.
the_green_gh0st

Post by the_green_gh0st »

If I could, I would have a news section of my forum where the articles acquired from the feed would appear. This could either appear as it's own forum or something (where the blog entries or articles show up as posts), or just be a separate thing that I can link to on the main page, if that makes sense. It would have, for example, feeds from sites like http://www.joystiq.com/xbox/ and Major Nelson's blog.
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

the_green_gh0st wrote:I am running a gaming forum, and would like to post feeds to various gaming related blogs and news sites. I cannot seem to find an appropriate mod to do so (tons of mods to convert forums into feeds, however). I was wondering if anyone knew of one or a few I could pick from. Thanks!
I've done something similar to what I think you need in the past using board 3 portal but it could be done as a topic or post. All I did was make a custom bbcode like [feed1][/feed1] with the full code from an RSS feed generator as HTML replacement
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

the_green_gh0st wrote:If I could, I would have a news section of my forum where the articles acquired from the feed would appear. This could either appear as it's own forum or something (where the blog entries or articles show up as posts), or just be a separate thing that I can link to on the main page, if that makes sense.
That's already built into phpBB using ATOM feeds, for example see the feed page for the board here: feed.php.

Some information on how to configure feeds is in FAQ: phpBB ATOM feeds.

If you mean you want to show feeds from external sites you could add a page to your board, Add a New Custom Page to phpBB and include the feeds on it.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”