Restrict User Registration by TimeZone

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
wbxpress

Restrict User Registration by TimeZone

Post by wbxpress »

In my board, I like to restrict new user registration from few countries. Is there any possibility that, new user registration must be approved (activated) by the admin for particular time zones.

I don't want to change the present setting i.e. immediate access of forum after registration (no need of email verification / activation by the admin) etc.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Re: Restrict User Registration by TimeZone

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

When people realise this is happening, won't they simply use a timezone that allows immediate access?

A better way would be checking the IP of the user and basing the policy on that, it's harder (though not impossible) for users to change their location if checked from the IP they are using.
wbxpress

Post by wbxpress »

Yeah. You are right.

So, I understood that it would be better to ban IP, each time new spammers from other country and then delete the usernames of the spammer. Am I right?
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

wbxpress wrote: So, I understood that it would be better to ban IP, each time new spammers from other country and then delete the usernames of the spammer. Am I right?
That's the way most people do it, combined with CAPTCHA usage. You can block entire ranges of IPs as well but that is sometimes a bit of a blunt instrument, it does work quite effectively if you want to shut out an entire region.
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello,
in past UTC-12 check has been quite a good feature to prevent spam user registrations. But last time spambots have learned to handle it.

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”