Advanced User Ignore MOD

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
YuLeven

Advanced User Ignore MOD

Post by YuLeven »

I've been searching for this for quite a while and yet was unable to find.

Due to the nature of my forum, we do not ban users due their, how to say... lack of popularity. Some people are plainly annoying, yet they have the right to be there. And as we have a large amount of messages, sometimes its annoying to visit a thread marked as unread thinking that the new message is relevant just to see that it is yet another message from such annoying chaps.

What my users are longing for is a mod that improves the native 'enemy list' system of Php BB.

The system currently replaces the "enemy's" message with a notification warning you that the user who posted it is on your 'enemy list', partially hiding the content. What we want is a mod that fully conceals the presence of the 'enemy' user. The most important feature would be absolutely no seeing his posts instead of the notification, and a desireable one would be not to receive notifications of new posts on a thread when the poster is an enemy.

Thanks in advance,
Leven!
Last edited by YuLeven on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Advanced User Ignore MOD

Post by Oyabun1 »

YuLeven wrote:yet they have the right to be there.
No they don't. You can freely decide who remains as a member and who has permission to post and where.

With standard phpBB You can give those "enemy" users an opportunity to modify their behaviour by issuing warnings, temporary bans, and/or limit their posting permissions to only some forums. If they continue to be annoying then, since few other users a reading their posts anyway, there seems little point in keeping those "enemies".
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

YuLeven

Post by YuLeven »

Thanks for your reply.
On a regular case, i'm absolutely sure that you're right.

The problem with the community I manage is that it is quite glued together. Those annoying users behave badly on most parts of the forum, but they are cherished and, as far I can see, important among other parts of the board.

Like an cable-satyed bridge, I could just cut off this bad cable and life would go on. On our forum, however, I can't surgically cut only one cable. If I ban one part, this will most likely make the surrounding cables weaker and then they will brake, starting an unstopabble chain reaction that will lead us to collapse. There are really nice users, essential for our existence as a community, that will most likely quit in protest for a banishment, even the one of those bloody annoying kids.

We've been together for nealy 7 years. I'm in charge on the last 2. I do fear harm the forum on a bad move.

-

I'm sorry. As I wrote all this, I realised that my case is very peculiar and hence an entire MOD for a community like ours is highly unlikely, as it won't bring much improvement to fellow phpBB owners. I think the best to do is to live with the false notifications every time a spoiled brat posts more nonsense. Luckly one day they will get tired or just grow up.

Grateful,
Leven
Last edited by YuLeven on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

make your rules for your board, tell the members what they are, if they break the rules, you warn them, if they do it again you get rid of them. very simple, very honest. what you wind up with is a membership that is respectful of your board , you , and each other and everyone is happy.

....end of rant.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Making a MOD like this one shouldn't be a problem for regular MOD writers. But trust me, this is not a solution. You put the user in the ignore list and you solve the issue for yourself, but you can't expect everyone to put annoying users in the foes list.

You explained the situation quite well, but rules are rules and I assume your board has rules. If they are breaking them, they shouldn't be an exception to the rules just because they do something good in the other part of the community. This usually leads to a scattered community, because they ones who deserve a warn/ban don't get it, while someone else receives a warn/ban because of a minor issue. People hate inequality. So, treat everyone equally and no one will be mad for your actions and no chains will break, maybe the majority will be even be thankful for banning those abusers! Having a community where rules are ignored or no rules are present, think again, you don't want that...
PM me for custom extension pricing / My validated MODs / My MODs in development

Ludovic B

Post by Ludovic B »

As the admin of a forum of highly sensitive people, I would also like to install a MOD that would allow the users to ignore some other users.

We don't want to ban anybody for their freedom of speech or their mistakes.

We consider that the people that SOME moderators or SOME members would consider as toxic, they would be friends and helpful with SOME other members, so we have no right to ban them.

Our forum gathers people who have at the same time a very high IQ, and who can be fragile, sometimes over-agressive, sometimes over-defensive... often unpredictible... moody... emotional...
The forum is meant to let them speak and evolve, not to punish them for being what they are.
Otherwise let's just ban them all and offer no forum at all...
Like jails, repression doesn't teach anything, it is just as violent as the behaviors it bans.

We are also a general forum, we have no special theme, we just have a special population.
Those who are feminists don't want to read messages from those who are anti-feminists.
The fragile people don't want to be invaded by the agressive people.
But feminists and anti-feminists, fragile and agressive people are both welcome.

I guess that some forum would enjoy a MOD allowing the users to
* fully ignore the posts of some other users (fully = it does not appear at all)
* never to get any PM from ignored users
* not to be visible from those ignored users (if A ignores B, B can not see the posts of A any more)

-> The way BLOCKING works on Facebook would be perfect. B bothers A, A blocks B and the problem is solved. There is a forum rule : the users rule ! :)

Would someone contribute to free the users speech and let them rule their forum the way they want ?
An anarchist coder perhaps ? ;)

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Also, ignored users should not be able to post in topics started by the person ignoring the member.

Ludovic B

Post by Ludovic B »

Yes, I agree !

That's a great way to deal with conflicts in a society. If A bothers B, B punishes A by a total exclusion of his/her own expression space.

And A is still a member of the community, stays free to speak, can have other friends. This way, no police, no jail, no central authority, no thought control.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I suppose it should also work the other way around:
If A ignores B then A can't post on B's topics either.

That way they also have a penalty for ignoring members too. This discourages an ignore war with members ignoring hundreds of members to keep them out of their own topics while trolling in the ignored members topics and if they ignore too many users they don't have many topics to post in.

Ludovic B

Post by Ludovic B »

Yes ! I totally agree, it has to be reciprocal ! :)

I would never ignore someone speaking like you do :)

peteetongman

Post by peteetongman »

I don't know why it is such a challenge to offer a feature like this. The Yahoo message boards used to have this feature. Once you put a user on ignore, you'd never know they were there unless someone quoted them. i know some folks here will come back and ask 1) why would I be a member of a forum where I didn't like the other member's posts -or- 2) why, as an admin, can't I just get rid of the offending member. The POINT is that some folks may enjoy reading the offending members posts, and some may not

Ludovic B

Post by Ludovic B »

"1) why would I be a member of a forum where I didn't like the other member's posts -"

* On a forum with 2000 members, perhaps 500 like the posts of the member A, and 500 dislike it. Why would one group take power over the preferences of another ?

"2) why, as an admin, can't I just get rid of the offending member."

* Because an admin has just one set of opinions, and a forum of 2000 can contain as much as 2000 sets of opinions, all different. So if the only set of opinion allowed is the one of ONE member, that's unfair.

"The POINT is that some folks may enjoy reading the offending members posts, and some may not"

* Yes, or simply :
feminists don't like to read anti-feminists and vice-versa
meat-eaters don't like to read vegan speeches, and vice-versa
non-violent people don't like to be forced to discuss with violent people
and when a forum is meant to be general, with topics about anything, those internal oppositions create internal wars, that no admin can manage fairly, because there is no "truth", there is no "best opinion".
So every opinion has to be allowed, and every member shall be able to protect him/herself against what he/she doesn't want to be exposed to.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Ludovic B wrote:never to get any PM from ignored users
I can give you a MOD for that: if a PM recipient has defined the sender as foe the PM can't be submitted (unless the sender is a moderator).

As for the rest: the current implementation is a compromise of consistency and relief. If there would not be a hint that a post is not displayed because its author is on your foe list you would act/write differently. And only those people who have exactly the same foe list as you can follow the topic's posts consistently, while others (including the foes) still think/imply their posts have been read. If foe posts would be hidden with no hint at all, then you (who started defining foes) would not even be conscious about how many posts you pass by unnoticed.

Thus, I think this approach starts more problems than it hides (it doesn't even solve at all). Ignorers must know who they ignore when, and foes must know who ignores them when. In your case it wouldn't even hurt anybody: pro-feminist Alice shouldn't be offended (i.e. enraged) by just seeing that user Bob made a post in topic X. And anti-feminist Bob shouldn't be offended (i.e. shocked) by just seeing that user Alice is ignoring him in topic X.
Ludovic B wrote:"1)
You might want to have a look on the BBCode FAQ: formatting your posts.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Ludovic B

Post by Ludovic B »

I still prefer a full invisibility.

Let's say I'm jewish : I don't want to be informed that Hitler started a new topic or that he came to make 10 critical and agressive comments on my topics. NO WAY. That would hurt too much.

Do you agree that Facebook works rather well, with experienced people having thought much about social comfort in a context of a wide-range diversity of opinions, with many antagonisms and many possibilities of conflicts ?

On Facebook, we can all BLOCK someone else.
Then, when A blocks B, A and B can not see each other's walls, we can not post on it. If they are together in a group, they can not see the topics that the other have created and they can not see the comments that the other post on the topics of C that they both didn't block.

For my forum of highly-sensitive people with divergent opinions this is the best solution, otherwise the people will fight and feel hurt all the time.
The idea comes from another forum where those people are 7000, and IT IS war all the time, so many people feel unsafe and prefer staying mute.

I agree with you having a different rule in a different context.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Ludovic B wrote:Let's say I'm jewish
Let's say you're jewish: I don't want to read anything about יהדות, yet I want to know in which context and when you said something (not what).
Ludovic B wrote:he came to make 10 critical and agressive comments on my topics
That's already the case: you don't see what he wrote. Criticizing is not the same as being agressive.
Ludovic B wrote:Facebook
I was never registered there.
Ludovic B wrote:they can not see the topics that the other have created
So they also can't read posts(/comments?) of user C which isn't blocked by them? That would be an information loss.
Ludovic B wrote:they can not see the comments that the other post on the topics of C that they both didn't block.
Don't understand this. Did you mean: a third user (C) creates a topic and user A does not see comments of blocked user B, and blocked user B does not see comments of user A?

Why don't you create different forums on your board and then user groups which only have (write) access to specific forums? That way a user can be member of the groups "pro-feminism", "anti-global warming" and "pro-christianity" and at the same time he can't post anything to the forums titled "child's corner", "programming" and "birth control"?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”