Social improving idea

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
Locked
sxtc
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Social improving idea

Post by sxtc »

(Do not reply without reading everything first!)

Currently PHPBB has a mod that allows us to to like/dislike, grant charmisma or take it away.

But what if we gave members the possibility to rate you more personality and give up a reason, so everyone can see what other members think about you just by looking at their replies wich would then automaticly show their stance towards you. The titles I suggest would be the following: Love, Like, Respect, No opinion, Dislike, Hate.

Members should also be able to see in their own profile how much members Love, like, Respect, No opinion, dislike or hate them on the forum in general. Ontop of that members will be able to provide you with a reason why they feel that way towards you. You cannot rate a member without giving up a reason at the same time. Because of this other members will get some insight about your personality (how you judge situations and people).

Also, the memberslist that can be aphabetically sorted, should now also have the option to sort as "Most loved & Most hated".

Because of this information;

- Members will know when to watch their words depending on who they are speaking to.
- Members will get a general idea about what everyone thinks about them wich will wich improve chances of members getting to know their mistakes and learning from them over time (getting less emo).
- Members will be able to use the "reason why" they are disliked to become liked by the very same people by taking their opinion into consideration and acting upon that.
- Members who like to be in the center of attention will "try" to be nicer to others to gain respect.
- Members will show more support towards other members if they notice the member being flamed is liked/respected a lot on the forum, and the one badgering him is mostly disliked (and therefor has an attitude).

- Admins & Moderators will have an idea about the general population on their forum and will know who to keep their eye on.
- Admins & Moderators will have it easier to track down flamers and remove them for ruining the atmosphere, even if they are not very active on the forum.
- Admins & Moderators will have it easier to find out who's responsible for an arguement depending on how members saw eachother before a fight. (also the admin panel should show when a member changes his stance, in case they descide to change it before replying to desceive the admins).
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Social improving idea

Post by Pony99CA »

I suggested some updates to the Friends/Foes system over at Area 51. Your suggestion sounds like a combination of part of that and a Facebook-like wall (or Public User Notes).

I'm not sure that I like the idea of encouraging hate, though, nor am I sure that it would provide the benefits that you claim.

However, you should probably post ideas in the Ideas section or -- if you're more ambitious and have a more fully fleshed out idea -- post at Area 51 (see the links above).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
mals69
Registered User
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:37 am

Re: Social improving idea

Post by mals69 »

IMHO - Reputation mods etc do more harm than good to a forum, why should other users be rating you ? (conflict of interest) Only judgment of your performance as a member should be the job of independent moderators.

Everyone has bad days, and if given a bad reputation it is in place forever and a day,
worse than doing a prison sentence.
sxtc
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Re: Social improving idea

Post by sxtc »

Picture yourself being an admin and you notice somene has put hate on another member with the reason why. Comparing his opinion with the situation would make you able to understand the situation without having to wait for a reply to clear things up. It would make judging faster and easier. And reputation is only unwanted by members with a bad personality because they will be reminded of that fact too often. And in my opinion an adult should be able to take critisism :)
User avatar
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 52169
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Contact:

Re: Social improving idea

Post by Brf »

You can already report a post and put in a reason.
User avatar
Ibedejo
Registered User
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:12 am

Re: Social improving idea

Post by Ibedejo »

sxtc wrote:It would make judging faster and easier.
No, it wouldn't: faster maybe, but not "easier".

What could this do any better than a click on the report button?
It's still your job as a mod/admin to verify the background - provided you don't take a given "reason" as the only truth possible and bear in mind that sometimes things come a long way before they become visible.
What does this any better than a click on the report button?

Would you really be willing to check each and every personal rating to prevent its misuse?
And it will be misused sooner or later as even a simple thanks button has been misused wherever this feature was intruduced.
Maybe by a few only - but "a few" is all it takes to possibly start a process that gains its own dynamics: never heard about "group dynamics"?

It takes, imho, a highly responsible-mindedly acting community to keep things from getting out of control once such a feature as you have in mind is introduced - and a correspondingly skilled board staff.
One of it lacking ...

Personal rating has more to it than just being a "nice and harmless tool": it's a potential and most powerful weapon as well ...
And: it's not a tool intended to making an admin's/mod's life "easier".
sxtc wrote:And reputation is only unwanted by members with a bad personality because they will be reminded of that fact too often.
Sorry, that's not an argument, that's plain nonsense.
One has to be "improved" already and before being provided with such a tool ;)
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Social improving idea

Post by Pony99CA »

Plus, if bad ratings and who gave them are visible to the person rated badly, what do you think the first thing they'll do will be? Give that person at least as bad a rating in return. That's probably one reason that phpBB's current Foe setting isn't exposed to the foe.

A Thanks feature can be gamed by friends constantly thanking each other, but at least nobody is hating. The proposed system would allow bullying. One of my favorite sayings is "Praise in public, criticize in private" and the proposed system violates that.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
mals69
Registered User
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:37 am

Re: Social improving idea

Post by mals69 »

sxtc wrote:Picture yourself being an admin and you notice somene has put hate on another member with the reason why. Comparing his opinion with the situation would make you able to understand the situation without having to wait for a reply to clear things up. It would make judging faster and easier. And reputation is only unwanted by members with a bad personality because they will be reminded of that fact too often. And in my opinion an adult should be able to take critisism :)
Its not about whether an adult can take criticism (or be able to spell criticism) its like I said - Its A Conflict Of Interest - period !

Example - You have a solid member (A person not something else) he gives a bad reap that is warranted to another member, the member who has been out of line in their actions gives the solid member an
unwarranted bad reap in return. The solid member gets annoyed that their reap is tarnished and leaves your site and you are left with the crap member. If you do not think this happens you cannot of been on many forums.

And as for the hate idea - if the word hate is part of the foundation of your site you are on a hiding to nothing before you start.
sxtc
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Re: Social improving idea

Post by sxtc »

mals69 wrote:Its not about whether an adult can take criticism (or be able to spell criticism) its like I said - Its A Conflict Of Interest - period !

Example - You have a solid member (A person not something else) he gives a bad reap that is warranted to another member, the member who has been out of line in their actions gives the solid member an
unwarranted bad reap in return. The solid member gets annoyed that their reap is tarnished and leaves your site and you are left with the crap member. If you do not think this happens you cannot of been on many forums.

And as for the hate idea - if the word hate is part of the foundation of your site you are on a hiding to nothing before you start.
The fact that you mention spelling error in the first sentence proves that you think to be above me although I think I'm doing a pretty good job at spelling english seeing as I never learned in school (self tought). I am flemish and my main language is Dutch. So excuse me if I do not live up to your expectations, I'm sure you are better at your self tought Dutch (just to prove the point that my IQ isn't necessarily lower because of spelling errors). Having put that aside the fact of such a mod is not to define my forum as "Evil" or "Good" but to make the diffirence apperant (more visible) so people will have no problem understanding the judgement of the crew and will therefor not leave because they will have a better sight at the situation, how it was dealth with and why. There are several good sides about this idea even if it might not be perfected there will always be someone who's 200% against because in truth, a lot of people are short minded and can't see further then their ego wich this mod is against.

I understand however that most people here do not possess the knowledge to build such a mod without it lagging a forum and in that case all they can do is admit, it's not that hard (putting your ego aside) :)

As my neutral opinion I don't feel that a it is bad to have a mod that gives a forum something to distinguish itself from other forums and makes the message (what a forum is about) more firm.
A mod wich in my opinion makes it show when someone shows respect, or when they don't.. it would basicly allow you to see yourself for who you are and reap the benefits of how you treat others (what you sow, you shall harvest).
I don't see why we always have to upgrade allready excisting mods because that is why people are leaving forums in the first place, they tend to get boring and antisocial after a while. We need more mods to make people "feel" when they are online. So they can become friends and get to know eachother a little better.
Someone that has treated people badly and cares for others on that forum, will likely try to "mend" the situation. Don't believe me? Then psychology isn't for you (it's my strength).
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: Social improving idea

Post by Master_Cylinder »

With any rating system there will be trolls abusing it. (Even the ideas section here has one or two members that down vote virtually every idea just to do it) That abuse is common enough that no reasonable adult is going to whine and leave a site over a negative vote or two if most of his/her votes are positive. I wouldn't call those kind of members that would leave over a downvote or two "solid."

I added a reputation MOD to a couple of my forums and it hasn't caused any drama yet.
sxtc
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Re: Social improving idea

Post by sxtc »

finaly a descent reply. And I do not have anything against the current mod but I dislike the limited amount of choices...
User avatar
ViolaF
Registered User
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: Social improving idea

Post by ViolaF »

sxtc wrote:I dislike the limited amount of choices...
than create more. just copy the choices-relevant-code and rename each :D
Master_Cylinder
Registered User
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Re: Social improving idea

Post by Master_Cylinder »

sxtc wrote:finaly a descent reply. And I do not have anything against the current mod but I dislike the limited amount of choices...
You might also suggest new "choices" in the MOD's support forum. I find it flexible enough but YMMV...
Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”