Hide ip for Moderators - IP Only for admin

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
victor114

Hide ip for Moderators - IP Only for admin

Post by victor114 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:52 am

Mod to hide the ip of the members to moderators, leaving only administrators?
That works in PHPBB 3.0.12
(Hide ip for Moderators. IP Only for Admin)

Thanks !
Last edited by Oyabun1 on Tue May 06, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Support

jsebean
Name: Jonah

Re: Hide ip for Moderators - IP Only for admin

Post by jsebean » Tue May 06, 2014 2:37 am

Why would you want this though? This would make it impossible for moderators to identify multiple users spamming from same IP or from banning an IP for example. After all, as the judge said, IPs are not identification. ;)
-Jonah
:lol:

victor114

Post by victor114 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:46 am

I really need this function, I believe that somehow it must be possible.
About spam, my forum do not use ipblock, Banish one by one. 8-)

Please, help-me x.x

jsebean

Post by jsebean » Tue May 06, 2014 3:20 am

I'm not going to write out each and every edit since I do not know where they all are, but I don't think this would be too hard, it would just be tedious. Let it be known this wouldn't *not* stop logging IPs if that's you're goal, but simply not display the address to moderators.

Go into your theme files (there's a bunch and I don't know how many instances has this) and find anything in them that has {log.IP} or {L_IP} (Is that the ones I want? I don't know :P), you can then add before and after that <!-- IF S_IS_ADMIN --> at the beginning and <!-- ENDIF --> at the end. That should in theory hide the IP address unless you're an administrator. Do that for all instances in each template file that has {log.IP} , such as mcp_logs.html, and then refresh the cache. Then test permission of a moderator on your board and see if it worked (I think it would, and I think I have the right IF Statement)?

Long story short, just hack around. Backup your template files in case you mess up, I don't know all the instances of IP address in the MCP nor the variables that are used in them.

I know that may be ambiguous but I don't feel like writing each and every change that would need to be made just to hide the IP address from moderators, it would be tedious. Personally, if I couldn't trust a moderator being able to see user's IP addresses, they wouldn't be a moderator ;)
-Jonah

victor114

Post by victor114 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks, I'll try.
Leveraging the topic, is there any way to hide my ip only? (ip of the founder)
8-)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue May 06, 2014 8:25 am

viewtopic.php?p=12940703#p12940703
jsebean wrote: Personally, if I couldn't trust a moderator being able to see user's IP addresses, they wouldn't be a moderator ;)
100% yes. There's very little you can do with an IP address anyway. The OP has used 4 different ones on this site already and apart from the IP being in Brazil there's little else you can get from it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

jsebean

Post by jsebean » Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 pm

victor114 wrote:Thanks, I'll try.
Leveraging the topic, is there any way to hide my ip only? (ip of the founder)
8-)
Like Kevin Clark said, there's not much you can get from an IP Address.

However, if you're really the tin foil hat type that you can't even trust your moderators :lol: , rather than just hiding the admin's IP address, why not use a VPN for your connection the the forum (they are often cheap), then the IP address is shared with others on the VPN and nobody even sees your home connection IP address, only the VPN address.

IP addresses change quite a bit too, they call it "dynamic IPs". So an IP address you have now will be different "tomorrow". That's why IP address banning is always a bad thing. I was once part of a board that banned the IPs of every user they wanted to ban. Because the board was meant for a localized market, many people had the same Internet Provider, so the range of IPs that were shared were the same, so soon random people started getting ban messages pop up on the screen even though they were never banned before. The point is, IP address are not a form of identification and are only useful only if you have one IP address that is causing a lot of harm that you need to stop right away, but even then it may make sense to lift the ban later due to the shared nature of IP addresses.

Side note: Are moderators banning your IP address on your board as a prank? :P That's what I'm starting to sense from this conversation haha.
-Jonah

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue May 06, 2014 1:26 pm

jsebean wrote:Side note: Are moderators banning your IP address on your board as a prank? :P That's what I'm starting to sense from this conversation haha.
Founders cannot be banned.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

jsebean

Post by jsebean » Tue May 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:
jsebean wrote:Side note: Are moderators banning your IP address on your board as a prank? :P That's what I'm starting to sense from this conversation haha.
Founders cannot be banned.
I know, but the IP can still be which if you had other accounts could mess with things. Anyway doesn't matter haha.
-Jonah

victor114

Post by victor114 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:51 am

I appreciate the response. The question is, are not the moderators that are "unknown", I just want to camouflage me.

Close the topic :D

jsebean

Post by jsebean » Wed May 07, 2014 2:59 am

victor114 wrote:I appreciate the response. The question is, are not the moderators that are "unknown", I just want to camouflage me.

Close the topic :D
No problem, though again it's not too necessary to "camouflage" yourself.

That said Kevin Clark posting a link to a topic that lists all the style edits you'd need to make to hide IPs (all IPs) in general from moderators if you wish to still do that :)
-Jonah

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”