Guests can only read topics on Page 1

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Suggested Hosts
JW15

Guests can only read topics on Page 1

Post by JW15 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:46 pm

I have a forum which has a lot of readers who don't bother to even register.

Is there a way to give these non-registered readers access to reading only the first forums page (which I have as 30 posts) yet unable to access content on pages 2 and onward?

I need to allow non-registered readers some access, like the first 30 posts, to get their interest.

Any help is appreciated.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Guests can only read topics on Page 1

Post by david63 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:13 pm

What difference does it make as to whether a guest reads the whole forum or that they register and then read the whole forum and never return.

I would actually argue the opposite that allowing people to read and/or search a forum would give them more incentive to join the forum than only being able to read one page - and how would you cope with search engines who would take people to a specific page within the forum?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

JW15

Post by JW15 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:01 pm

david63 wrote:What difference does it make as to whether a guest reads the whole forum or that they register and then read the whole forum and never return.
It would make a huge difference (otherwise I wouldn't be requesting for assistance on this issue). The forum contains a lot of posts with legal and other advice. Non registered users come and spend hours (days) online reading it all without even registering (providing their contact information, etc).

Other forum software has these types of features (for example, after you read 5 posts you have to register).

If anyone could help with the MOD for this it would be appreciated.
Last edited by darcie on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed solicitation/recruitment

david63

Post by david63 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:05 pm

So basically all you are really after is garnering potential members contact details - why?
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

JW15

Post by JW15 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:10 pm

david63 wrote:So basically all you are really after is garnering potential members contact details - why?
No, but I don't see any need to provide you with details.

Is this a forum where I have to go into details why I am requesting a mod? Is there a reason why you want to know details of why I'm requesting something in a forum where you are supposed to request things?

If you cannot help with the request you might want to start a topic in the general discussion forum about the pros and cons of my type of request instead of replying here.

Hopefully someone can assist. Thanks.
Last edited by darcie on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed solicitation/recruitment

david63

Post by david63 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:43 am

JW15 wrote:No, but I don't see any need to provide you with details.
No you don't - but when you are asking for help it makes it easier if we can understand what it is you are trying to do and why. Quite often there are either mods (or extensions if 3.1) that will either do, or almost do, what you are looking to achieve without "reinventing the wheel", or the facility may already be in the core code.

(Incidentally what you want to do can be done with two lines of core code edit.)
David

garden of green
Name: Tony

Post by garden of green » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:44 am

david63 wrote:What difference does it make as to whether a guest reads the whole forum or that they register and then read the whole forum and never return.

I would actually argue the opposite that allowing people to read and/or search a forum would give them more incentive to join the forum than only being able to read one page - and how would you cope with search engines who would take people to a specific page within the forum?
I have found when we restricted access people joining slowed down
JW15 wrote:I have a forum which has a lot of readers who don't bother to even register.

Is there a way to give these non-registered readers access to reading only the first forums page (which I have as 30 posts) yet unable to access content on pages 2 and onward?

I need to allow non-registered readers some access, like the first 30 posts, to get their interest.

Any help is appreciated.
You could set the forums so they cannot be seen or accessed by guests or even registered members until they reach a certain post count.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”