[REQUEST] Spell Check Feature

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
Bard

Re: [REQUEST] Spell Check Feature

Post by Bard »

yes, phpspell does show up when you enter the URL dicectly see here:
http://www.otrtalk.com/phpBB3/spelling/phpSpell.html

At the time I had cache turned off (working on mods). I have since turned it back on, purged cache and refreshed template cache.
Still no luck
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Old Time Radio Talk | Visit OTR Talk Town
Bard

Post by Bard »

I am not sure what try next.
Muad''Dib

Post by Muad''Dib »

Well if you have followed my instructions carefully, everything should work as it should. If i were you i would triple check each step in my instructions and make sure that they have been completed.

Other than that, i have no other suggestions for you as what i posted works great for me.
Bard

Post by Bard »

I tried your instructions again and appeared correct. I deleted and started over using the supplied phpbb3 instructions ( which wanted me to edit the tpl). I tried moving the <script > tag all around.
Nada, nothing, nyet

the button shows up but does absolutely nothing but sit there and occupy space
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

great idea. but in my opinion, what has been discussed already has too many work arounds and just seems confusing. i started to install this on my site, following instructions from here and there and finally stopped and removed it. this needs to be put together in a more organized way :roll:
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

There are install instructions in the download for phpbb3
-http://www.master-technology.com/demos/ ... wnload.php
Bard

Post by Bard »

Peter77sx wrote:There are install instructions in the download for phpbb3
-http://www.master-technology.com/demos/ ... wnload.php
Those didn't work for me
Lightfeather

Post by Lightfeather »

yea phpbb3 doesn't use tpl files anymore so any reference to them indicates the instructions are faulty and should be avoided. Seems like he just copy pasted the phpbb2 instructions over but didn't make all necessary edits to have it work with phpbb3. The phpbb3 folder seems incomplete while the phpbb2 folder has much more in it. I was looking forward to installing this but I hesitate now.
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

ok, i finally managed to get this working. members wanted it :roll:

i used the install instructions by Muad''Dib:
Muad''Dib wrote:With the help of Bob in Iowa, and Nathan Anderson, i was able to get phpspell to work with phpbb3:

I hope this helps you guys.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How to make phpspell work with phpbb3 gold.

This describes how to makes phpspell 1.0.6r using MySQL work with the prosilver theme of phpbb3 with English as the checked language.
Im sure you can use any language available, i just have not tested it that way.

Download phpspell and the english (or whatever language you need to use) word list from here: (Special thanks to Nathan Anderson for his fine work)
http://www.master-technology.com/demos/ ... wnload.php

Extract the contents of these files to whatever directory you want to, and then follow these steps:

1.) Copy the contents of the "native_mysql" folder into the "common" folder.

2.) Delete all the files and folders in the phpspell download except for the "common" folder.

3.) Rename the "common" folder to "spelling".

4.) Copy ENGLISH.DIC (or the .DIC from the word list that you downloaded above) to the "spelling" folder

5.) Make a new MySQL database via cpanel for the dictionary. Call this new database whatever you want to, and add a new or existing user to it. This step should be fairly straight forward since you have done this already to install phpbb3. You may be able to use the existing database for phpbb3, but i did not try it that way.

6.) Open spell_config.php and set $Spell_Config["DB_Type"] = "MySQL"; (line 33) by removing the proceding foward slashes. You will also want to add two forward slashes (//) to $Spell_Config['DB_Type'] = 'PHPBB'; (line 31). That line should now look like the proceding lines except for line 33 that we made active in the first part of this step.

7.) Again in spell_config.php (that is probably still open), change $Spell_Config["DB_Username"] = ""; $Spell_Config["DB_Password"] = ""; and $Spell_Config["DB_Database"] = ""; (lines 47-49) to be whatever you specified as a user name, password, and database in step 5. Save and close spell_config.php.

8.) Open spellmessage.js, and find:

Code: Select all

function openspell()
        {
          height = 391;
          width = 555;
          if (ie4) LinkToField = self.post.message;
          if (gecko) {
            LinkToField = parent.document.post.message;
            height = height + 6;
          }
          if (op6) {
             LinkToField = document.forms[0].message;
             height = height + 10;
             width = width + 10;
          }
          if (op7) LinkToField = document.forms[0].message;
Replace it with:

function openspell()
        {
          height = 391;
          width = 555;
          if (ie4) LinkToField = self.document.getElementById("postform").message;
          if (gecko) {
            LinkToField = parent.document.getElementById("postform").message;
            height = height + 6;
          }
          if (op6) {
             LinkToField = document.getElementById("postform").message;
             height = height + 10;
             width = width + 10;
          }
          if (op7) LinkToField = document.getElementById("postform").message;
Save and close spellmessage.js.

9.) Upload the whole "spelling" directory to the root directory of your phpbb3 forum.

9.5) Note from Bob in Iowa the original finder of this method:
This can also be adapted to subsilver2 in a very similar manner. Note that the class definition of buttons in posting_buttons.html is different than prosilver, so you will need to use the same class definition in the input tag for the spellcheck button in order to make it match.
According to him the changes below can be made to subsilver2 with a little modification. I dont use subsilver2, so i have not tested this, nor do i know if it even works correctly. Common since tells me it should...

10.) Open /styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html. Find:

</head>
and add before:

<script type="text/javascript" src="spelling/spellmessage.js"></script>
Save and close overall_header.html.

11.) Open /styles/prosilver/template/posting_buttons.html. Find:

<div id="format-buttons">
   <input type="button" class="button2" accesskey="b" name="addbbcode0" value=" B " style="font-weight:bold; width: 30px" onclick="bbstyle(0)" title="{L_BBCODE_B_HELP}" />
Replace with:

<div id="format-buttons">
   <input type="button" class="button2" value="Spell Check" name="button" onclick="openspell();" title="Run Spell Checker" />
   <input type="button" class="button2" accesskey="b" name="addbbcode0" value=" B " style="font-weight:bold; width: 30px" onclick="bbstyle(0)" title="{L_BBCODE_B_HELP}" />
Save and Close posting_buttons.html.

12.) Go to yourwebsite.com/<forum directory>/spelling/spell_admin.php. Use the web page to install the ENGLISH dictionary / word list (or whatever language your using).

13.) Delete any file ending with .DIC on the server (to free up disk space)

14.) Delete the spell_admin.php file off the server. (keep it somewhere where you can upload it again fast if you want to add words to the dictionary at a later time)

15.) Purge your template cache, and enjoy your new spell check mod! Testing and working with the latest versions of IE7, Safari, Firefox, and Opera.
also, i use a subsilver2 based style and used advchristian's subsilver2 edits slightly changed as follows:

Open /styles/subsilver2/template/overall_header.html

find:

</head>
add before:

<script type="text/javascript" src="spelling/spellmessage.js"></script>
Open /styles/subsilver2/template/posting_body.html

find:

&nbsp; <input class="btnlite" type="submit" accesskey="c" tabindex="9" name="cancel" value="{L_CANCEL}" />
add after:

&nbsp; <input type="button" class="button2" value="Spell Check" name="button" onclick="openspell();" title="Run Spell Checker" />
by adding after, my cancel button still remains.

also, i use FireFox, which has a built in spell checker and the button does nothing. but in IE, the spell checker works fine. i'm not a coder, but if someone needs this mod to work with FF, i'm sure someone here can get the code for it. it is nice to see a spell checker with Canadian spelling ;)
Muad''Dib

Post by Muad''Dib »

spaceace wrote:ok, i finally managed to get this working. members wanted it :roll:

also, i use FireFox, which has a built in spell checker and the button does nothing. but in IE, the spell checker works fine. i'm not a coder, but if someone needs this mod to work with FF, i'm sure someone here can get the code for it. it is nice to see a spell checker with Canadian spelling ;)
I just double checked a couple of my sites that i have the spell checker installed on, and it works fine in firefox using the instructions i provided for prosilver. I havent been able to test on subsilver though as i dont use it.
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

Muad''Dib wrote:I havent been able to test on subsilver though as i dont use it.
that is what my styles are based on. could just be a style problem with firefox :roll:
Span 24

Post by Span 24 »

Muad''Dib wrote:
spaceace wrote:ok, i finally managed to get this working. members wanted it :roll:

I just double checked a couple of my sites that i have the spell checker installed on, and it works fine in firefox using the instructions i provided for prosilver. I havent been able to test on subsilver though as i dont use it.
I followed your instructions to the "letter". Works perfectly in IE. However, Firefox (with the built-in editor) does nothing when I click the button.

Interestingly, when I click "new post" it takes a few seconds to load into IE. Firefox immediately opens posting code. I tried clearing FF and PhpBB3 caches with no change in results.

hmmmmmmm
Bmlow

Post by Bmlow »

Hey all

Porblem installing the phpSpell v1.0.6r.

7. run the admin_Spellcheck.php in your /spelling folder (i.e. http://yoursite/spell_admin.php

I dont have a file called that... its spell_admin not admin spellcheck. Cant run it though its a php file only.

Second,

/styes/<name>/template/posting_editor.tpl

I dont have anything called posting_editor.tpl in my forum templates "WoWMoonclaw".

hank1061

Post by hank1061 »

ieSpell is a nice plugin and free for IE version 5 and above. I use it now for everything, works great. You can find it herehttp://www.iespell.com/
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

Bmlow wrote:Hey all

Porblem installing the phpSpell v1.0.6r.

7. run the admin_Spellcheck.php in your /spelling folder (i.e. http://yoursite/spell_admin.php

I dont have a file called that... its spell_admin not admin spellcheck. Cant run it though its a php file only.

Second,

/styes/<name>/template/posting_editor.tpl

I dont have anything called posting_editor.tpl in my forum templates "WoWMoonclaw".

the install instructions for this thing has some issues :o

but, if you do everything that is in my post above

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p6852325

it should get you going.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”