[REQUEST] Use Mediawiki database to register, authenticate

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Anti-Spam Guide
Nais

[REQUEST] Use Mediawiki database to register, authenticate

Post by Nais »

I already have a Mediawiki wiki on my site. I want to add phpBB3 to the site as well.

What I want is for the phpbb forum to use Mediawiki for it's authentication. That way users wouldn't also have to register for the forum. I know that phpbb3 has authentication plugins, but my skills are not adequate enough to create one that works.

I know there are plugins for having mediawiki use PHPBB as it's authentication, but my wiki is already established and I don't want to have everyone register again. So that's not what I'm looking for.
cotp

Re: [REQUEST] Use Mediawiki database to register, authenticate

Post by cotp »

Nais wrote:I know there are plugins for having mediawiki use PHPBB as it's authentication, but my wiki is already established and I don't want to have everyone register again. So that's not what I'm looking for.
Yep, I myself did the other way around. Had phpBB2 and wanted to install mediawiki, found the plugin to use phpBB2 as authentification. Hope it will be possible to use it with phpBB3.

Good luck on importing your users, I am sure you will find a way out, please tell us if you do :)

Cotp
casanova

Post by casanova »

i am also looking for this.

i have a mediawiki which is up and running with over 2,000 users, and want a phpbb board, but they log in via mediawiki and then phpbb will use that etc....
quick5pnt0

Post by quick5pnt0 »

cotp wrote:
Nais wrote:Hope it will be possible to use it with phpBB3.
No 2.0 mods will work with 3.0 Hopefully somebody will make the same mod for 3.0
Nais

Post by Nais »

Well still no real luck with it, but a question of curiousity. If a mod/auth plugin were to be developed would I have to have both the wiki and forum running off the same database? As I said the wiki is established and I'd rather not F up its database (even though I'd definitely back it up first). In other words what would be the pros/cons of doing a combined database vs 2 separate databases. I realize that it most likely would depend on how the mod is designed.
Last edited by Nais on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
djbeenie

Post by djbeenie »

I am also looking for a plugin for my wiki site. http://www.heli-max.net
damnian

Post by damnian »

Nais wrote:If a mod/auth plugin were to be developed would I have to have both the wiki and forum running off the same database?
I believe you could achieve this function with an auth module. That wouldn't require the board to use the wiki's DB, since the auth system allows for auto-registering authenticated users.

Auto-logging in wiki users is a totally different story however... :P
I no longer develop for phpBB. Check out my .NET blog!
Nais

Post by Nais »

damnian wrote:Auto-logging in wiki users is a totally different story however... :P
Heh, well I'll worry about that later. One step at a time.
damnian

Post by damnian »

Here's Step 1 ;-)

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=554737

P.S. Yes, I did make it use the same database. It's so much easier to implement that way.
P.P.S Disregard the P.S. I guess I like hard work :ugeek:
P.P.P.S. Multiple DBMSes don't work :oops:
Nais

Post by Nais »

I can't even begin to express how much thanks I should give you. I haven't gotten the chance to play around with it yet but I will and I'll give it a good workout. Thanks so much!
damnian

Post by damnian »

Nais wrote:I can't even begin to express how much thanks I should give you. I haven't gotten the chance to play around with it yet but I will and I'll give it a good workout. Thanks so much!
I accept Amazon gift certificates ;)
djbeenie

Post by djbeenie »

damnian wrote:Here's Step 1 ;-)

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=554737

P.S. Yes, I did make it use the same database. It's so much easier to implement that way.
P.P.S Disregard the P.S. I guess I like hard work :ugeek:
P.P.P.S. Multiple DBMSes don't work :oops:
So has anyone tested this out yet? Will this touch or mess with my mediawiki database?
Nais

Post by Nais »

djbeenie wrote:So has anyone tested this out yet? Will this touch or mess with my mediawiki database?
It doesn't alter any part of your mediawiki DB at all. It only looks at it to check authentication and nothing else. I've been testing it and it works great.
damnian

Post by damnian »

Nais wrote:It doesn't alter any part of your mediawiki DB at all. It only looks at it to check authentication and nothing else. I've been testing it and it works great.
Actually, that's not quite true. Changes to the MediaWiki DB are required for the autologin to work.

Either way, this isn't the right topic to discuss a specific implementation.
djbeenie

Post by djbeenie »

damnian wrote:
Nais wrote:It doesn't alter any part of your mediawiki DB at all. It only looks at it to check authentication and nothing else. I've been testing it and it works great.
Actually, that's not quite true. Changes to the MediaWiki DB are required for the autologin to work.

Either way, this isn't the right topic to discuss a specific implementation.
Well I do not want to corrupt my mediawiki database. What changes are made? Also if changes are made, can you easily revert them back without hurting the mediawiki database?

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”