[Request] Moderator ban

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
lcq

[Request] Moderator ban

Post by lcq »

Hello,

I'd like to set up a feature where any given moderator can ban an user from the forum they moderate (and only from that particular forum; the user should still be able to view/post on forums where he isn't banned).

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to make this work, please feel free to contribute.

Thank you.
yexusbeliever

Re: [Request] Moderator ban

Post by yexusbeliever »

I guess since currently there is no mod, you still want this kind of feature right? What you may have to do is give moderators the power to take and put people into and out of usergroups. So assign each forum a usergroup. Then make it where whoever joins in automatically join in all the usergroups. So whenever the person is ban from that forum, you just take that person out of the usergroup. Thus the person has no permission to post in that forum or whatever permission you decide as the default. I hope you get what I'm trying to say. This is just one trick in using what you have right now.
lcq

Post by lcq »

I see, however this quickly becomes impractical as your board grows overtime. Can't afford to have dozens of groups around, unfortunately.

What I suggest is a feature that integrates into the modcp, so that a moderator can manage these forum bans. Of course, that will require a lot of modding. I'm not familiar enough with phpBB 3.0 code yet, or I'd give it a try.

If anyone is willing to try it, though, be my guest. Don't forget to tell us your progress, though ;)
jerx

Post by jerx »

I don' t really see the need for such a mod. If a moderator decides to ban someone, that user had broken forum rules. In my opinion this is a general ban. Why do you want that user messing around in other forums, too? It is like saying to a shop lifter, it was not right to steal in shop a, but there are plenty other shops you can try.

If the user had not broken any rules, the moderator might not be the right person for this job.
lcq

Post by lcq »

Well, now that phpBB 3.0 has the ability to set up rules for each forum on a board, I find it quite necessary myself.

If the user breaks some forum specific rule, I don't think he should be barred from posting on the entire board. Hence the need for such a mod.
Bash
Name: Glenn

Post by Bash »

jerx wrote:I don' t really see the need for such a mod. If a moderator decides to ban someone, that user had broken forum rules. In my opinion this is a general ban. Why do you want that user messing around in other forums, too? It is like saying to a shop lifter, it was not right to steal in shop a, but there are plenty other shops you can try.

If the user had not broken any rules, the moderator might not be the right person for this job.
umm what are you talking about? shoplifters... what?

This mod is completely necessary and much needed:

Forum 1 = moderator1 : able to do any mod task EXCEPT for ban people
Forum 2 = moderator2 : able to do any mod task EXCEPT for ban people
Forum 3 = moderator3 (you get the point)

Yes, we could make them all global mods & they'd all be able to ban, but that would defeat the purpose of having specific forum moderators & present other potential problems. For instance, in very large forums (like mine) it is not an option for me to 'global mod' forum moderators, as they would then be able to moderate other forums treading on other mods toes & possibly neglecting their own.

As it stands, forum moderators have to contact global moderators just to have someone banned from a forum they're moderating (lol?) which I find pretty stupid considering they can do every other moderator task.

*EDIT* btw I dont mean just a ban from a forum, I mean a ban from the entire site.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”