Is it possible to upload attachments to another server?

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
Nicholas the Italian

Is it possible to upload attachments to another server?

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

I can select which folder should contain attachments uploaded by users.
Is there a way, MOD or something to specify a different server/domain as attachments recipient?
Would that be possibile (modifying the script), or is it pure non-sense because you can't get a PHP script running in a server to upload a file to a different server?
Thanks.
Whatever I say, it's not my fault.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Re: Is it possible to upload attachments to another server?

Post by drathbun »

I would think that if you can get the security issues addressed that this would technically be possible. I am going to move the topic to MOD Requests for further attention. If at some point you think you want to try writing this yourself you can post specific questions in the MOD Writers area.

One final thought before moving... if you can establish some sort of remote mount point then you could make a file system on your local server link to the file system on the remote server. Then the change would be completely transparent to phpBB, and no code changes would be required.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Thanks for the info.
The idea of a remote link is interesting, I wonder if it is faisible though.
Whatever I say, it's not my fault.
batfastad

Post by batfastad »

I am also interested in something like this for phpBB3

I used to use the attachment mod for phpBB2 for a while, and I think that feature was available.
You can choose your attachments to be uploaded through FTP to another server, and link to them all on that remote server.
The reason I stopped using the attachment mod was because there were a whole bunch of phpBB updates done within a short time frame and I just couldn't keep phpBB up to date if I also had to install the mod every time.

I would rather choose this option than having them stored in the phpBB installation folder as we have a separate domain/web host that we use as a dumping server for all static pages and media because bandwidth costs are lower that way.

Is this ever going to be possible with phpBB 3?

Thanks
Ben
S@m0v@ru1_Pr@fu1t

Post by S@m0v@ru1_Pr@fu1t »

Any news on this MOD? Does anyone has any idea of how to get this done or maybe another solution to this? :?:
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

nagarjuna.k

Post by nagarjuna.k »

Thanku guys iam looking for this type of mod because at first very one will start phpbb in a normal hosting account afterwards as attachments and file storage required they have to move to another hosting company by using this we can host attachments and files in another server so no need to move the entire board .Thank u somuch.
Mission http://www.INdianworld.IN
We love PHPBB

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”