Show new replies to your posts

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
Gamer82

Show new replies to your posts

Post by Gamer82 »

I would like to see this like a feature from SMF where it will show topics you posted on under a link called "Show new replies to your post"
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Re: Show new replies to your posts

Post by darcie »

Is this different from the View your posts feature now available?
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
Gamer82

Post by Gamer82 »

A lot diffrent has a matter of fact. That displays all your posts. I want it to display only new replies to YOUR posts. ;) Get it?
Gamer82

Post by Gamer82 »

bump
electrongift
Name: renold arockiam antony

Post by electrongift »

i also like this feature.. Is there any mod available for this feature?
Crystallas_

Post by Crystallas_ »

/signed

I have members requesting this feature. It's very useful, and I believe a standard feature on SMF.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

When you click "View your posts", the new replies are sorted to the top.
Also, when you click "View new posts", topics you posted in are marked.
Crystallas_

Post by Crystallas_ »

Brf wrote:When you click "View your posts", the new replies are sorted to the top.
Also, when you click "View new posts", topics you posted in are marked.

Yes, but this in comparison to the "view new replies" is leaps and bounds more organized for the average user. You see just the new replies to your posts, and nothing else. For most users, this makes participating in a large forum much easier.

This would be an awesome mod. I'm not that great with writing mods, but I'm trying to get this working.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Have you even looked at "View your posts" ?
Crystallas_

Post by Crystallas_ »

Brf wrote:Have you even looked at "View your posts" ?

Yes. Very different.

That would be just viewing your posts, when what we are looking for is the ability to filter everything except "new replies" by other people to our posts.

I don't know what it is about this feature, but this tiny, little difference between View New Posts and View Your Posts, and "Show new replies to your posts" can scare a ton of people away from a community. Spoiled I say, but I certainly understand why, and I see how powerful and useful this feature is by itself. vb,and SMF have it as a default feature.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Crystallas_ wrote:

Yes. Very different.

That would be just viewing your posts, when what we are looking for is the ability to filter everything except "new replies" by other people to our posts.
"View Your Posts" does show the replies.
Crystallas_

Post by Crystallas_ »

Brf wrote:
Crystallas_ wrote:

Yes. Very different.

"View Your Posts" does show the replies.
It doesn't filter the posts without replies.

For a user with 10,000+ posts, it's a bit of a mess to read. This simple feature alienates the most active participants who aren't exactly forum-literate enough to scan through their "View Your Posts" to see the difference between replied topics.

I just converted a forum from SMF 1.1 to phpbb3. I originally ran phpbb on the site from 2002-2006, and before then it was uBB from 1997 to 2002. I'm just trying to replicate a few specific features to have a similar feel to vb or SMF for the users who have the hardest time adjusting. To them, this little difference is the difference between "sticking around" and leaving. And I feel the OP has run into a similar issue.

The forum is huge, and I know we can live with losing a few hundred active members who can't adjust. But this stupid feature has me pulling my hair out, and it could cost us thousands of active users :(
gnomore

Post by gnomore »

Bump

I also have a large forum that just migrated from SMF to PHPBB3. I am losing members like crazy because of this single feature. How hard would this be to add in?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I am not sure what you are asking for? If you click "View Your Posts" it shows you all the replies to topics you have posted in.
gnomore

Post by gnomore »

Basically it is a combination of view new posts and view your posts.

Basically a query that takes all posts you have ever made and checks to see if there is any new activity on those topics. Then lists those and only those topics under a link called "View new replies to your posts".

Directly from the smf online manual it reads as such.
View unread replies to your posts – Selecting the Show new replies to your posts option displays a list of topics the user has participated in that have unread replies.

In practice it makes a huge difference in forum operation because users tend to try and "clear their list". It improves activity alot. Generally users would scan for new topics occasionally but refresh show new replies to your posts quite actively. The psychological aspect of clearing the list almost turns into a game to stay current with your discussions.

That is why my users are having such a hard time adjusting to the view your posts link. Because the list always stays.

I beseech anyone with the ability to make this happen to please act on it. For my forum it is not an "I wish" feature, it is a losing members issue to a competitors forum that runs SMF issue.

I really hope you guys add this in, as it is a default feature with SMF.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”