Anchor BBCode MOD

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Anti-Spam Guide
asavage
Name: Al Savage

Anchor BBCode MOD

Post by asavage » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:45 am

My board uses the Anchor BBcode MOD extensively.

The MOD allows one these add'l BBCodes:

Code: Select all

[anchor]
[goto]
[gotopost]
From the FAQ section that the MOD installs:
Anchor BBCode MOD wrote:
This board has anchoring and linking within posts enabled.
  • To make anchors within your posts, just specify [ anchor]anchorname [ /anchor].
  • To link to that anchor:
    1. From within that post, use [ goto=anchorname]text[ /goto].
    2. From another post on the same page, use [ goto=postnum,anchorname]text[ /goto].
    3. From another post on a different page, use [gotopost=postnum,anchorname]text[/gotopost].
  • You can also use goto and gotopost to link to the top of any post:
    1. [ goto=postnum]text[ /goto] if the other post is on the same page,
    2. Otherwise use [gotopost=postnum]text[/gotopost]
I use the [gotopost=postnum,anchorname]text[/gotopost] mode most, though in a couple of forum FAQs we use [ goto] as well.

The [gotopost=postnum] allows one to specify a specific post (not necessarily within the same topic) without resorting to the [ url] tag, and using [gotopost=postnum], the MOD will take one to exactly the correct post, not just the top of the topic. I am unaware of similar functionality in PHPBB3 as-shipped.

I am unable to install PHPBB3 until I can install a MOD that will preserve the functionality of the older PHPBB2 Anchor BBCode MOD. I have determined that I cannot invest the time necessary to code the MOD myself. I am willing to donate a modest amount (that is, in dollars) toward the development of this MOD.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage

Re: Anchor BBCode MOD

Post by asavage » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:10 pm

No response. Hmmm.

No volunteers, so I guess I should ask: who does this kind of thing commercially (ie for money)? I need this MOD, and can't afford the time to come up to speed to do it myself.
Regards,
Al S.

KRB99
Name: Kyle

Post by KRB99 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:40 am

asavage

Post by asavage » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks for replying.

No. While that works within the same post, it will not allow my existing links to other posts continue to work.
Regards,
Al S.

KRB99

Post by KRB99 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:11 pm

yes it will you just take the link it gives you and put it in the other post

asavage

Post by asavage » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:08 am

The HTML replacement in karisemple's example orks ONLY with an anchor within the SAME post. It cannot create a link to another post.

Nor would it deal with the ~6000 existing gotopost links already in existence on my board.

But Thanks for replying.
Regards,
Al S.

KRB99

Post by KRB99 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:09 am

True it some what wont deal with the go to posts but look you can go to another page like this

example1

example2

asavage

Post by asavage » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:05 am

What a user you can't do with an HTML replacement is type a link to another post like this:

Code: Select all

Please see [gotopost=15436]this post[/gotopost] for a picture of that sprocket.
. . . which is how a lot of posts on my board are formatted, and how my users are used to being able to link to other posts.

[Well, actually, an HTML replacement can be crafted for [gotopost], transforming it to an absolute URL embedded in each post. But if/when my domain ever changes, those embedded URLs would make every single link break, and require a large-scale search-n-replace in the database for those URLs. Not good.]

And the [gotopost] tag cannot be defined by an HTML replacement in any meaningful way, so all previous links break without a mod that on page render "sees" the [gotopost] tag, reads the postnum, and crafts the URL replacement for the post before rendering.

I need a MOD. I'm willing to pay for it.
Regards,
Al S.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”