Selling Phpbb themes

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.0.
Ideas Centre
Tidus97

Selling Phpbb themes

Post by Tidus97 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:00 pm

im planning to make and sell phpbb themes.

Any details on this anywhere? Copyright issues etc? Can i make styles based off the default phpbb themes and sell them? anything i should be aware of before selling?

Culprit

Re: Selling Phpbb themes

Post by Culprit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:09 pm

I think, here is so many styles and new will each day come, that selling of phpbb themes is not profitable

Frost°

Post by Frost° » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:09 pm

It is if you make them good enough, I made a very large amount in a few months alone when I had Black Fusion before I became ill and lost everything.

It just depends on weather or not you're good enough to make something someone is willing to pay for, marketing abilities, etc..

A talented team of designers is also a must, one person cannot possibly gain much of an advantage trying to constantly create new styles, update them, support them, maintain the website and keep up with custom orders alone.

Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:00 pm

My philosophy concerning this subject is: the software is free, so should be the add-ons. I've never seen a MOD author charge for their MOD before, so why charge for a style? I understand what it's like to work tirelessly day in and day out completing graphics and code for a style, so don't get me wrong, I understand why someone would want to make some commission off their hard work. Still, I would never charge for a style that I've developed, even if it was good enough to charge money for. In my opinion, phpBB is an open source community and an open source project, so why charge for add-ons if the actual software is free? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I'm just simply stating my honest opinion neutrally. Just think of how much hard work the phpBB team put into designing and developing phpBB3. And, just to think, they did all of this work for free. Knowing this, I could never bring myself to charge for an add-on such as a style or a MOD, even if it was something I could definitely make money off of, out of respect for the many open source developers out there who work tirelessly on excellent software projects for the good of the public seeking no money in return.

So, that is simply my neutral opinion. Take it or leave it, but that is my philosophy on open source projects and add-ons for those projects. Do as you wish, but please keep this in mind for the good of open source developers everywhere. ;)
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

Frost°

Post by Frost° » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:17 pm

I see your point and used to think the same way, but as a style developer with, what used to be, a popular style site before I lost internet for a year, I can name several reasons why you would/could sell a style. Believe it or not, most of the time it isn't even your idea.

I can't count on my hands and feet, 10 times over, how many people have came to me asking me to do a custom skin and that they would pay me. Their reasons are always their own, but most of them will tell you it is because they get a 1 on 1 style developed for them, to their specifications. Some of them have told me it's because they feel like they gave something for the work, and didn't "bum it". Some of them do it so that their style will never be released to the public, and will be completely unique.

The list can go on and on about why they prefer to pay, but that's not the point. The forum software may be open source itself, and so may be the style if you read the license information. That's not what they charge for, the time and effort is what they charge for. To each their own, and I will never discriminate anyone who wants to sell something, it's the way of the world. Just look at ebay.

Take a look at any of the more popular freelancer design websites and look how many people are willing and glad to pay designers to do styles or designs, even for more open source software than just phpbb.

As for the mod authors, you have got to be kidding me. I remember having a mod, then all of the sudden to get the cool features or special addition, you had to pay or donate. That was for phpbb2, but it will start with phpbb3 as well some day. Did I mind paying for special features or newer versions? No, it was worth it to me because I just liked the mod(s).

In closing, I do respectively see your point, but for every 1 person out there that wouldn't want to pay for a style, there is an equal 1 that would.

Tom
Former Team Member

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Alright, I can see where you are coming from. I understand that some people will want to pay regardless, due to the heavy amount of work that the style creator does. This doesn't change my opinion, but I do understand where you are coming from. I suppose it is up to each user to decide what he/she wants to do, but I, for one, know that I would never really want to sell a style. But, that is simply my opinion.

By the way, I don't believe the phpBB team validates and accepts MODs and Styles that are not free. Not that it matters to most authors, but I believe that is the case, if the authors want their MODs or styles validated by phpBB.

Frost°

Post by Frost° » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:57 pm

You're right, if a mod/style is not free, it will not be accepted. However, the cases I was referring to, the author had the "normal" version and the "premium" version. So either way...

Tidus97

Post by Tidus97 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:43 pm

thanks for sharing guys. :) posts where nice and long. theres one thing im still not unsure of though. its about where i need to base my (or my team's) themes off. which themes are ok to be used as a base for a saleable theme?

Culprit

Post by Culprit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Otherwise MOD need to be licenced by same licence as software. Than you could not charge on MODs.

Styles could be licenced as you wish, don't need same licence as software. But with so many styles that already exists for 3.x, is not profitable.

Frost°

Post by Frost° » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Tidus97 wrote:thanks for sharing guys. :) posts where nice and long. theres one thing im still not unsure of though. its about where i need to base my (or my team's) themes off. which themes are ok to be used as a base for a saleable theme?
You can base them off any of the two included phpbb styles. If you base off someone else's style, you would need their full permission.
Culprit wrote:Otherwise MOD need to be licenced by same licence as software. Than you could not charge on MODs.

Styles could be licenced as you wish, don't need same licence as software. But with so many styles that already exists for 3.x, is not profitable.
Ok ;)

Tom
Former Team Member

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Culprit wrote:But with so many styles that already exists for 3.x, is not profitable.
That's another thing. Is it even worth it to try to sell styles for phpBB now-a-days? Maybe it is for some people, but not for most people.

Culprit

Post by Culprit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:52 pm

legohalflife2man wrote:
Culprit wrote:But with so many styles that already exists for 3.x, is not profitable.
That's another thing. Is it even worth it to try to sell styles for phpBB now-a-days? Maybe it is for some people, but not for most people.
Thats right, could be. When these styles will have support (next day) than could be working.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 am

there are already plenty of styles for phpbb3 that are not free, there are plenty of MODs that are not free.

there are also versions of phpbb that are not free.

just because someting is opensource does not mean that it has to be free. it just means that you have to provide the source when you sell it.

linux/unix is opensource, but you can certainly buy many many different versions of either one.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Tom
Former Team Member

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Good point, Lumpy. Like I said before, though, I don't mind if he sells his own styles, and it is none of my business if he does. I'm just saying that I would never sell a style or MOD of mine for phpBB.

ChaosBurnt

Post by ChaosBurnt » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:16 am

Tidus97 wrote:im planning to make and sell phpbb themes.

Any details on this anywhere? Copyright issues etc? Can i make styles based off the default phpbb themes and sell them? anything i should be aware of before selling?
Despite the drawn out rantings here, you can use prosilver or subsilver2 as your base template without having to ask permission from anyone, you are requested not to remove the phpbb.com link in the footer or the phpbb.com copyright in the files themselves, this is professional courtesy.
It is better to base your styles on prosilver, the vast majority of mods are based on prosilver and a great many people are looking for templates based on prosilver. You could use subsilver2 but it's a messy template to work worth, personally I really don't like subsilver2.
If you have seen a custom template you would like to use as a base then you must ask the designer if they will give you permission to do so, especially so as you are going to be making commercial templates.
Imagine how it would affect your commercial template site if people started saying you were a template ripper, you would make no money at all then.
I wish you every luck in your endeavours, well done to you for wanting to try :)
For everyone's information, the templates I provided are back under the copyright property of the original designer, EidolonHades.

Return to “[3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion”